molly_

Initial I-129F Package Questions!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! :) I'm in the process of filing for my fiance's K-1 Visa, and I'm pretty much finished assembling the initial I-129F package. I tend to worry though, so there are a few things I didn't see in the FAQ that I'd really like answered for peace of mind. I have to get all of this done before Tuesday, as I'm leaving to go visit my fiance for the summer and sending the package from there (since I still need him to sign some things and get a passport photo). I'm from the US and he's a British citizen.

I would truly appreciate any information or reassurance that could bring me peace of mind. I'm only 20, so this is just about the most stressful thing I've ever had to do. Worth it though, and honestly pretty exciting as well.

- As for proof of ongoing relationship-- I provided pictures from January 2010 up to October 2010. I've got 5 total, but even though he visited me in November-December and April-May, we didn't take a whole lot of pictures. I've got the names, date and location on the backs of each one and I've signed them all and dated my signature. Is that going to be enough?

- I wasn't sure how else to go about this, but I took a screenshot of a call log from my online T-Mobile bill and printed it out. I had long-distance calls to his number that added up to kind of a lot of money, so I circled the dates, number and total cost of the bill. There aren't a lot of minutes or even calls made, however- I only call him when it's important because of the expenses.

- I've got a copy of the e-Ticket for my initial flight to England in January 2010, when we met in person. On the same page, I've copied two train stubs from the same trip.

- I've got a receipt for the ticket for my fiance's last visit over here this past April.

- I've got a copy of my passport pages with all of the relevant stamps.

- I've got several screenshots of Facebook messages logs showing a lot of messages sent between us- one page shows messages from April-May 2010, the other shows messages from December 2010 to June 2011. However, I've blacked out with marker the subjects and content of the messages and added a note that personal message content was available upon request. I've also got a sample of messages between us where we talk about me visiting over the summer. I realize printing out Facebook messages as proof looks a little juvenile, but it's how we communicate day to day when we're not able to Skype. Texting would be expensive and we don't generally e-mail each other.

...and that's really all I've got. Are they going to hound me for more information, or should I be alright? I gave a pretty good description of how and when we met in person and each time we've met since, including dates of travel and locations and all. I'm fairly confident that my forms are all okay, too.

In the initial petition, you do not have to prove ongoing relationship. You are going through a low-fraud consulate, so you do not need to front load your petition with anything other than what's necessary.

Ongoing relationship proof comes at the interview (and I believe I've read it's rarely asked for even then in London).

What you need to do is prove that you've met in person in the last two years, so the pictures are good. Pictures are secondary evidence. The e-tickets, passport pages, receipts for tickets - those are primary evidence and are necessary to include.

Again, in the initial petition, I wouldn't include phone logs or Facebook messages. Not necessary.

USCIS doesn't need proof of an ongoing relationship. They care about proof of meeting. Save everything else for the interview stage. :)

There's no harm in sending everything you've listed there, but it likely will not be looked at. If it gives you peace of mind though, by all means, include it all!

Edited by Coconuts

Timeline

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for the quick response. I read in the VJ Step-by-Step guide that proof of an ongoing relationship was optional in the I-129F, but could help with a consulate's preliminary review of the case. Should I take all of that stuff out, then, or would it not do any harm by staying in there?

And if I'm going to be in the UK when I get my first (and possibly even second? not getting my hopes up) NOA, should I prepare more forms and things to bring with me? Or will I not need to worry about it until after August?

ALSO, do I need a copy of my fiance's passport stamps as well?

I'm fully aware I'm asking a million questions.

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for the quick response. I read in the VJ Step-by-Step guide that proof of an ongoing relationship was optional in the I-129F, but could help with a consulate's preliminary review of the case. Should I take all of that stuff out, then, or would it not do any harm by staying in there?

And if I'm going to be in the UK when I get my first (and possibly even second? not getting my hopes up) NOA, should I prepare more forms and things to bring with me? Or will I not need to worry about it until after August?

ALSO, do I need a copy of my fiance's passport stamps as well?

I'm fully aware I'm asking a million questions.

It won't do any harm keeping it in. If you've already included it, no need to take it out, was just letting you know that you have more than necessary! :) Which isn't a bad thing.

A good idea would be, near the end of your trip, fill out the I-134 and gather the supporting evidence. Sign it and date it and send it back with your fiance as well as an updated letter of intent (if London requires that, I'm not sure - hopefully someone from the UK can answer that)

Copies of your fiance's passport won't hurt. All it does is prove that you've visited each other and that's never bad. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP: If you want to ensure that a CO sees your evidence, then the best time to include is when you file the petition with USCIS. This way, it becomes part of the file that a CO sees prior to the interview. As Coconuts said, evidence is rarely asked for at the interview by a CO, and that is not limited to London.

IMO, the interview is not the time to be submitting new evidence, I'm not suggesting going to the Embassy or Consulate empty handed, far from it. I'm only syaing the best time to submit evidence is with the initial filing of the petition.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

OP: If you want to ensure that a CO sees your evidence, then the best time to include is when you file the petition with USCIS. This way, it becomes part of the file that a CO sees prior to the interview. As Coconuts said, evidence is rarely asked for at the interview by a CO, and that is not limited to London.

IMO, the interview is not the time to be submitting new evidence, I'm not suggesting going to the Embassy or Consulate empty handed, far from it. I'm only syaing the best time to submit evidence is with the initial filing of the petition.

This is wise advice and exactly what VJ recommends- getting as much supporting information in the hands of the consular officer well in advance of the intervew: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide . That means including the information needed to support your petition with the initial submission. I don't know why when addressing the OP's question, the same people say the same thing- include less. Pack as much info as you can with your I-129F so USCIS gets it into the hands of the consular officer. Good luck!

May 14, 2011 Mailed K1 Petition to Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

May 18, 2011 Notice of Receipt via email

May 18, 2011 Notice Petition forwarded to California Service Center

May 19, 2011 Notice of Receipt from Laguna Niguel, California, Service Center

August 2, 2011 Request for Evidence

August 31, 2011 Evidence tendered to Laguna Niguel, Service Center

September 14, 2011 Notice of Action, "Petition approved."

September 29, 2011 Notice Petition forwarded to embassy in Lima, from National Visa Center, Portsmouth, NH,

October 3, 2011, email sent to embassy in Lima, re: change of address for fiancée.

October 5, 2011 email response from embassy in Lima, re: procedure for change of address

October 22, 2011 received packet from embassy in Lima with Nov. 2, 2011 appointment date.

November 2, 2011 finacée interviewed by consular staff in Lima.

November 2, 2011 Yellow sheet issued requesting more information.

Does a USCIS employee really look through evidence of an ongoing relationship for a low fraud country, though? I'm honestly curious. It's not one of the requirements for the initial filing.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Does a USCIS employee really look through evidence of an ongoing relationship for a low fraud country, though? I'm honestly curious. It's not one of the requirements for the initial filing.

Evidence of an ongoing relationship is also not required for an initial filing if someone is going to interview in Lagos or Casablanca either. Just because it's not a requirement doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Furthermore, just because a country (such as the UK) has lower incidences of fraud doesn't mean a petitioner should hold back on the evidence. This is just one person's opinion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Evidence of an ongoing relationship is also not required for an initial filing if someone is going to interview in Lagos or Casablanca either. Just because it's not a requirement doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Furthermore, just because a country (such as the UK) has lower incidences of fraud doesn't mean a petitioner should hold back on the evidence. This is just one person's opinion.

Doesn't really answer my question. I'm wondering if a USCIS employee actually looks at the whole package or if they simply have a checklist of what's necessary and look through that.

Nobody suggested holding back evidence. There's no harm in including it, I'm simply wondering if it'll actually get looked at in the initial stage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Doesn't really answer my question. I'm wondering if a USCIS employee actually looks at the whole package or if they simply have a checklist of what's necessary and look through that.

Nobody suggested holding back evidence. There's no harm in including it, I'm simply wondering if it'll actually get looked at in the initial stage.

I appreciate your question. The better approach advocated here is to pack the I-129F with information so the consular office receives it prior to any interview. Based on the horror stories in this website, any opportunity to educate a consular officer should be taken. The presumption of fraud attaches to all K1 visa petitions.

May 14, 2011 Mailed K1 Petition to Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

May 18, 2011 Notice of Receipt via email

May 18, 2011 Notice Petition forwarded to California Service Center

May 19, 2011 Notice of Receipt from Laguna Niguel, California, Service Center

August 2, 2011 Request for Evidence

August 31, 2011 Evidence tendered to Laguna Niguel, Service Center

September 14, 2011 Notice of Action, "Petition approved."

September 29, 2011 Notice Petition forwarded to embassy in Lima, from National Visa Center, Portsmouth, NH,

October 3, 2011, email sent to embassy in Lima, re: change of address for fiancée.

October 5, 2011 email response from embassy in Lima, re: procedure for change of address

October 22, 2011 received packet from embassy in Lima with Nov. 2, 2011 appointment date.

November 2, 2011 finacée interviewed by consular staff in Lima.

November 2, 2011 Yellow sheet issued requesting more information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We just filed on 6/8/11 for our I-129F and our attorney had us include a lot of documentation. They wanted 30-50 pictures, a letter from Clergy as proof of wedding plans, letters from friends or family that explained our relationship and future plans that we discussed with them along with all of the other required documentation. It was a lot of stuff! Now, we're just counting the days....

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Sounds like you have lots of evidence of meeting... if you have any, boarding passes are better evidence than copy of your e-ticket as they prove that you did actually travel. Also dont forget to keep a copy of everything you send. Best of luck with your journey.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

We put proof of ongoing relationship right at the beginning.

Everything gets transferred to the CO anyway at the interview stage and they do look into it.

Some people get RFEs for not proving they met.

However like someone said before, London is low-fraud and quite an easy embassy

French-AmericanFlag_medium.jpg

We met in June 2008
We got engaged on 08-06-2010!!!!!
08-30-2010:I-129F Sent
09-03-2010: I-129F NOA1
09-13-2010:Touched
10-03-2010:Touched!! !feels gooood :)
02-24-2011: RFE...grrrrrr
03-18-2011: NOA2 - it took them 6mths 2 wks and 2 days (or 196 days)!!!!
03-??-2011: NVC received
03-29-2011: Petition sent to London
04-05-2011: Embassy received petition
04-09-2011: Packet 3 received
04-11-2011: Packet 3 sent
04-13-2011: Medical
05-12-2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!
07-04-2011: POE
08-05-2011: We're married!
09-14-2011: AOS, EAD and AP forms sent
09-16-2011: Receipts for AOS, EAD and AP forms
11-17-2011: RFE...
12-08-2011: Send evidence back to USCIS...and now we wait
12-23-2011: EAD/AP card sent
12-29-2011: EAD/AP card received :)
12-29-2011: Case transferred to CSC
03-29-2012: AOS approved!
04-05-2012: Green card in hands

03-06-2014: Removal of conditions packet received at VSC...and now the wait starts again!

luh6s78.png

Timeline

Thanks, everyone! I left the Facebook messages and call logs in there. Hopefully it'll be good enough. As for the eTicket, it -is- a boarding pass, though it says eTicket on top. For my fiance's ticket, I only have the receipt/itinerary you print out after purchasing the ticket from Continental. Still, I think the passport stamps will say enough anyway.

@Lynn- That's a lot more than I even have available. 30-50 pictures? Damn. You'll certainly be covered, then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.