kev_n_jena

Phils to Vancouver to USA

8 posts in this topic

Please allow a rant about our recent trip to the Philippines, United Airlines, and Vancouver International.

We thought we'd save about $400 on airline tickets and fly through Vancouver Canada. We were flying out of Chicago O'hare on United, tranferring to Philippine Airlines in Vancouver and on to Manila. When we arrived in Chicago and tried to check in, two United employees told us my wife was not allowed to fly through Canada. After about 10 minutes of panic with my wife being very close to tears, a woman came up and asked, does she have a green card? We said yes and she just nodded. The other employees had no idea what was going on and claimed that United had been fined for sending passengers to Canada in the past without a visa. After a few more tense moments we got our boading passes.

When we arrived in Vancouver we were told we had to receive our checked baggage and go through customs by Vancouver officials. We went to the carousel and waited and waited. We asked a Vancouver employee and they just said wait. Finally another employee came to us and said our checked baggage was being transferred to Philippine Air but we still had to go through customs for Canada. We were told later by a customs official that we shouldn't have gone through customs. (it was a 5 hour layover)

On our way home we had a 9 hour layover scheduled in Vancouver. The Philippine Air employee told us our baggage would be transferred to United and we would touch it until Chicago. When we arrived in Canada an official was calling my name when we got off the plane. They informed us that we WOULD need to collect our baggage and go through customs.

After customs (and surrendering some canned meat) we sat down for our long wait. I scanned the flight board and saw that our 11 pm flight to Chicago was cancelled. GRRRRR While talking to the United employee I was told there was no flight crew for the flight! They put us up in the airport hotel and gave us 2 food vouchers. I was happy to hear that. We ate in the airport at about 8:30 pm and went to the room to sleep. I woke up with what I think was food poisoning a couple hours later. It was touch and go the whole trip home after that, I couldn't eat or drink anything. (4 hour flight and 4 hour drive)

Sorry for the long rant, I just wanted to let people know in case they chose the same route we did. I hope you have better luck than we did. We will fly through California or Minnesota next time.

Sincerely,

Kev & Jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

United Airlines is the worst airline out there!! They did the same thing when I went to see my wife in Vietnam and I had a passport. They said the I wasn't on the right flight but when I showed them my ticket they looked dumbfounded. Finally I asked to speak to a supervisor and she fixed it all.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my last flight through San Francisco with United was ok. It is the last flight of the night to Phoenix. After being in the air from butuan to manila, then an 8 hour layover in manila... get to San Francisco for what I hoped would be a quick change flight... the flight was delayed.... then delayed even more... it was much much later that i got in.... i am now going to try the Philippine Air Vegas route... closer to home and southwest has many flights a day....just tired of the 8 hour layover in manila.. on the way home....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

I have made a few trips over to Korea and to the Philippines and I got to say that the worst flights I had was on North West airlines. The services were terrible and the stewardess were old cranky old ladies. The food sucked and the seats were uncomfortable. They called my name and said they had made a mistake and reassigned me to the back of the airplane. The best airline expirence I had was on Asiana airlilnes. The flight crew was very nice, great service, good food and the flight was very comfortable. Korean airline was great too. Let me suggest Asiana or Korean airlines next time.

The best airline expirence I had was on Asiana airlilnes. The flight crew was very nice, great service, good food and the flight was very comfortable.

I agree. :thumbs:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Of all the trips that I had going to the US, the ones with Asiana were indeed the best. The crew members are very polite and the food is great. And I agree that United Airlines needs a lot of improvement. The interior of the plane needed cleaning, the trolley was rusting, seats are uncomfortable and the FAs were as old as the plane itself. :rofl:

12-16-2010 (Day 1) I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-I-765 applications sent to USCIS received
12-27-2010 (Day 11) NOAs received thru USPS plus Biometrics schedule for 1/12/2011 @ Michigan City IN and Rejection Notice for I-131.
01-05-2011 (Day 20) I-131 Refiled
01-12-2011 (Day 27) Biometrics completed in 10 minutes (whereas the drive is 1.5 hrs one-way, thanks to snowstorm in IN)
01-31-2011 (Day 46) RFE received (received via email alert)
02-22-2011 (Day 68) Response to RFE received by USCIS (received via email alert)
03-03-2011 (Day 77) EAD Card in Production (received via email alert)
03-14-2011 (Day 88) EAD/AP Combo Card Received
04-14-2011 (Day 121) Interview, Approved!
04-18-2011 (Day 125) E-mail alert received for Card/Document Production
04-23-2011 (Day 130) Green card in the mail
Removing Conditions
01/14/2013 (Day 1) Mailed out I-751 documents to CA Service Center
01/22/2013 (Day 8) Received Receipt Notice
02/13/2013 (Day 30) Biometrics Schedule @ Michigan City, IN

06/19/2013 (Day 156) E-mail alert received for Card Production

06/29/2013 (Day 166) Received card in the mail

Korean Air FTW , its all i will ever fly again to Asia, Or JAL when its available, both airlines are amazing.

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: Timeline

I really am sorry about your experience with your flight. It was really awful. Mine only had a few confusions when I went home to the Phils. with a connecting flight in Vancouver BC. Yes, the stewardess was confusing because she told me I have to get my luggage and go through customs in Vancouver BC. I got worried of course since I only have 1.5 hours layover in BC and it was my first time and I was alone. What she didn't tell me is that there is a separate customs for people who only have a connecting flight in BC. When I got off the plane I ask one of the personnel who are getting our luggage (it was a small plane so we didn't go through a tube) I ask them if I have to get luggage in the carousel since I only have a connecting flight. Good thing she told me I don't have to but I have to go through customs. When I get to the customs area, there are very long lines, so I have to ask again one of the airport personnel that I only have a connecting flight to the Philippines, then the lady accompanied me to another floor where there is the immigration officer waiting. There was no line, it was only me.

He did ask for my GC and passport. Asks some questions about my flight, what am doing in the US? What does my husband do? What's my purpose going to the Phils? What's my work and when I told him, Im not working he sadi WHY? ....does he really wanna know?.....Anyway, he stamped my passport and then he let me go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.