Switchblade

Got Denied at Border (Intended Imm)

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys,

Well I did make it into the United States this time....barely lol. When I got rejected at the border I was with my dad. He had a criminal record and they required him to get some court papers or whatever. But the girl I think screwed up and put on my record I needed court disposition which means "the judges final judgement on your crime". I had told her the truth in what happened and I have no criminal record and the girl entering the information put the wrong thing on my record.

SO when I get back to Canada, how on Earth do I go about getting it off my record since there is no such papers for me because I've never committed a crime in my life?

Also she looked at my and told me to come back on the date my ticket says. It says July 26th however if there is a chance I stay till mid August. Would that be allowed at all or would I get in trouble? I still fully intend on coming back to Canada.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would definately go back when your ticket says. Also if you do, then the next time you cross they will see your still abiding by the rules. If you stay past that date it might make it harder the next time. but then again i'm a cynical pessimist due to how the border treated me so many times lol. Better safe than sorry i always say :)

Glad you got in and enjoy your time!

HWDWm6.png

I would definately go back when your ticket says. Also if you do, then the next time you cross they will see your still abiding by the rules. If you stay past that date it might make it harder the next time. but then again i'm a cynical pessimist due to how the border treated me so many times lol. Better safe than sorry i always say :)

Glad you got in and enjoy your time!

How did the border treat you? And any idea what to do with this court stuff? And I guess I should call immigration or something to see what they think.

Timeline

How did the border treat you? And any idea what to do with this court stuff? And I guess I should call immigration or something to see what they think.

hehe if you browse my threads you'll see i was interogated and fingerprinted and photographed like a criminal on many occasions for many hours. As for the court stuff..maybe call the poe supervisor and see what he can suggest? I really dont know on that end what to suggest to you.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went through customs at Pearson on June 10th and for the first time, they gave me ######.

I was heading to Hawaii for 2 months (~70 days - I'm here now thankfully haha) and the guy started giving me misinformation about spousal visas, but I was prepared and had a couple documents that showed ties back to here, plus my return flight on my itinerary.

I also told him I'd been admitted on B-2s before, showed him the old stamps, and that I knew about overstay.

He VERY reluctantly then said "based on your evidence I can approve you at primary". He gave me a B-2 (meaning I have 6 months of allowed stay in the U.S.)

Moral of the story: Talk to others, do your own research and make sure your documents/any evidence are solid.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

I went through customs at Pearson on June 10th and for the first time, they gave me ######.

I was heading to Hawaii for 2 months (~70 days - I'm here now thankfully haha) and the guy started giving me misinformation about spousal visas, but I was prepared and had a couple documents that showed ties back to here, plus my return flight on my itinerary.

I also told him I'd been admitted on B-2s before, showed him the old stamps, and that I knew about overstay.

He VERY reluctantly then said "based on your evidence I can approve you at primary". He gave me a B-2 (meaning I have 6 months of allowed stay in the U.S.)

Moral of the story: Talk to others, do your own research and make sure your documents/any evidence are solid.

My stamp in my Passport says I have a B2 as well. Does that mean I'm allowed to stay in the states for 6 months if I wanted too even though my intention is no longer than a 2 month stay?

Or do they some how have it in their system to track me on what day I'm supposed to come back?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After staying with my fiancee (who was just my boyfriend at the time) for the summer. He drove me back home so we could tell my Parents we were going to get married. Well, then we drove back to the border to cross again. The border guy told us to pull over after telling him we are getting married and going back to his place to start what ever paperwork needs to be done. We didnt have any clue. I laugh now, but it was so scary at Port Huron, people walking around with guns looking at you like if you moved they would shoot you. Took my mug shot and finger printed me. Treated me like i just killed someone. That was 5 years ago. I crossed last year to go visit family, his and mine. This was the first time our Daughter got to visit our American family. Had no problems crossing.

Timeline

The B-2 visa may be issued for up to 6 months - or for any time less. Assume that your B-2 visitor's visa expires on the date of your flight ticket. If you presented the ticket with the date on it as evidence you were leaving on that date and were told you better be out of the country on that date, then that is what you need to do - be out of the US on that date. This is your test of how honest and trustworthy you are. If you pass this one your next request for permission to enter the US will probably be easier.

If you fail by remaining in the US past the date you promised to leave and were told to leave, then you may find yourself denied entry because you have shown yourself undeserving of the trust they put in you on this visit. They will have recorded down that information and if at any time in the future they request proof that you left the country when you were supposed to and you don't have that proof - or say you left on time and didn't - then you open yourself up to a lot of hardships in crossing the border. Overstaying your allotted visit time will get you denied - and trying to return when you have been denied for that reason may get you a ban on re-entering. Depending on what you tell them they may also decide to charge you with misrepresentation - lying - which can carry a ban from a year to life depending on how seriously they view it.

So, make it easy on yourself. Don't stay past the date on your ticket and do leave - and keep proof of your leaving (the boarding pass) when you said you would. You will be thankful in the future that you did - and will regret it if you don't - and by then it will be too late to repair the damage.

Learn this lesson well - don't ever fail to take US immigration authorities seriously and don't ever assume anything except what you have in black and white in front of you. They are not understanding and they honestly don't care.

It may be difficult to get the erroneous notation off of your record. When you get back to Canada you may find it in your best interest to get a Police Records Check (probably fingerprint check even though it takes longer) done from the RCMP. It will return a statement that you have no criminal record in Canada. You should plan on carrying that document with you (and have copies to leave one at the border) whenever you cross the border.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

SO when I get back to Canada, how on Earth do I go about getting it off my record since there is no such papers for me because I've never committed a crime in my life?

Here is the link you need: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/kw/denied/sno/1

Also she looked at my and told me to come back on the date my ticket says. It says July 26th however if there is a chance I stay till mid August. Would that be allowed at all or would I get in trouble?

If you were told to return on the date your ticket says, return no later than that date. There will be notes made at entry.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.