Steph1988

Hiring an attorney or getting congress help?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Ok so we filed an recived the I-130 on the 24th of may, been 16days so far, my hubbys british im born an raised US citizen as is our 1year old baby, the wait is HORRIBLE, we wanted to no after reading alot of things if hiring an attorney or more likley gettn help from congress would speed things up, the goal is to get my husband home before christmas he has already missed our sons birth an first birthday, the time line here says between 14 september an 29th, i pray we get it before then but thats out of our hands, also whats the current times from when nvc recieve package to final interview in london, so many questions, so much time, this is a cruel way for a family to be living

Filed: Other Timeline

May 24th of 2010 or 2009?

An attorney will cost you a few thousand dollars; the involvement of Congress will probably cost you a few hundred thousand dollars as you will have to give at least $100K to a few Congressmen to get them off their chairs. An attorney is probably much cheaper.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

May 24th of 2010 or 2009?

An attorney will cost you a few thousand dollars; the involvement of Congress will probably cost you a few hundred thousand dollars as you will have to give at least $100K to a few Congressmen to get them off their chairs. An attorney is probably much cheaper.

may 24th 2011 we got NOA1 back an thanks for ur comment

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Ok so we filed an recived the I-130 on the 24th of may, been 16days so far, my hubbys british im born an raised US citizen as is our 1year old baby, the wait is HORRIBLE, we wanted to no after reading alot of things if hiring an attorney or more likley gettn help from congress would speed things up, the goal is to get my husband home before christmas he has already missed our sons birth an first birthday, the time line here says between 14 september an 29th, i pray we get it before then but thats out of our hands, also whats the current times from when nvc recieve package to final interview in london, so many questions, so much time, this is a cruel way for a family to be living

Getting a congressman involved will not really do anything because you are in the same boat as everyone else-missing your relative while waiting your turn for an interview. A lawyer in all likelihood will not speed up the process either, except a good attorney is perhaps slightly less likely to get an RFE. Everyone, including congressmen and attorneys, still has to operate under the rules presented, and simply missing missing your loved one is not a valid reason to scoot around the rules; if it was, everyone would do it and you would be back to square one, having to wait behind everyone that also gets to operate outside of the rules.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

An attorney cannot help the processing speed. They can help you to fill out the forms and check to make sure there are no mistakes in those forms.

A congressperson can check on the status of your case, not speed it up.

Do some reading in the UK regional forum to get a sense of the London timeframe.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A lawyer will become an expensive filter & slow down the process because you will provide them with all the exact same info to fill out the exact same forms for you. Then you are sent those forms to sign. Right after you pay the lawyer.

Bob is right. Hiring Congress will set you back a ton. Of course these are the same people that havent done anything about the immigration laws since they were elected. You can find them on a golf course or on Twitter in their underware. Congress nor a Congressman has any impact on USCIS unless your case has some aspect that is very unusual.

Your question about the timing of your case is impossible to answer as written. I think you mean 2011. If it is NOA1 you will need different Xmas plans. There are many people that report 6 months at least to get NOA2. Then it goes to NVC ect.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Get in line behind all of us... Getting an attorney will not speed up the process at all. A congress person can not expedite your case, he can check on it after it has been past the 5 month timeline that USCIS provides.

Good Luck, it's hard.

USCIS- (77 Days)
I-130 Sent : 04-05-2011
I-130 NOA1 : 04-08-2011
I-130 NOA2 : 06-24-2011

NVC- (29 Days)
NVC Received : 07-25-2011

NVC Case Closed: 08-23-2011
Medical/VFS/Interview
Interview Date Recieved: 09-02-2011
Medical Completed: 09-16-2011
VFS Fees Paid and Documents Submitted: 10-21-2011
Interview: 11-10-2011

Interview Status: Approved
Visa In Hand: 11-10-2011

USA

P.O.E- Chicago, IL: 12-16-11
Recieved Welcome Letter: 01-03-2012
Received Green Card: 01-19-2012
Re-applied for SSN: 01-23-2012
Received SSN: 01-27-2012

Apply for Removal of Conditions: 09-17-13

ROC- (112 Days)

I-751 Sent (CSC): 11-22-13

Check Cashed: 11-27-13

I-751 NOA1: 11-30-13

Biometrics: 12-23-13
Case Status: Approved
Green Card Issued: 3-14-14

Green Card In Hand: 3-20-14

CITIZENSHIP

Apply For N-400: 1-28-15

Check Cashed: 02-5-15

NOA: 02-11-15

Biometrics: 03-2-15

In Line Interview: 06-10-15

Interview: 07-20-15

Interview Status: Approved

Oath Ceremony: 08-20-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Steph--

it all comes down to following the directions even when they don't make sense, sending every document, being meticulous to be sure you haven't overlooked anything, and then it goes really smoothly most of the time. Yes, you will see a horror story here and there, but when we dig into them, there was usually something that wasn't quite right in the submission.

Plan on 9 - 12 months, and be pleasantly surprised when you are done in 8. But don't target Christmas or you will likely be very disappointed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok I get it that everyone wants to be helpful and honest. What I did not yet read in response to your question was a little bit of empathy. We are ALL going thru the misery in some sense. Either being without our spouses, children, or both in my case, and YES you are right, it is HORRIBLE.

Just be prepared to find alot of PATIENCE in this process because your family will need it. Good luck and be strong, it will take a toll on you and your husband while you wait apart. We are going on six months and no interview yet.

By the way, we have almost spent every penny we've earned flying back and forth for our son's birth, our wedding, our son's first birthday, and every holiday including Christmas. If I give any advice at all, save the money you would pay a lawyer or congress (as if) and put it into your savings account/travel fund. You are going to need it.

S9AYm4.png

may 24th 2011 we got NOA1 back an thanks for ur comment

LOL you just applied, try waiting almost 2 years............ (such as myself) Also a lawyer and congressman calls do no good, the same with service requests and the ombudsman.

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We all must understand that we are dealing with fat, lazy, union government works. If they could make a living in the private sector they would not be in the government. We need to bring in out love ones thru Mexico or replace the people running the government and chnage our laws to stop and deport the illegals and to make it easier for real US citizens to bring their loves into this county. Write your senator, congressman and the White House for change. As we see in the news lies and not doing your job is good for the governemnt works. We need to stop this and replace them all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Save money on the attorney and if the process takes you through Xmas you can take the money you were planning on an attorney and take a trip to see your spouse..:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

agreed :thumbs: i waited 4 months visited my husband and thank God i did because now at almost 7 months nothing...so im glad i did everything myself and saved money..

event.png

preg.png

ENGAGED AUGUST 18, 2010

MARRIED OCT 21, 2010

FILED I-130 NOV 13,2010

NOA 1 NOV 15, 2010

NOA 2 JUNE 15, 2011

CASE # JULY 13,2011

DS3032 ACCEPTED JULY 18, 2011

AOS paid JULY 20, 2011

Sent AOS JULY 23, 2011

IV paid JULY 25, 2011

IV sent JULY 28, 2011

CASE CLOSED AUG 8, 2011

INTERVIEW DATE OCT 13, 2011

Sorry to say you have a long wait ahead of you. PLEASE save yourself the money of an attorney. They only help if you have a complicated case. You've already started the process and now its just a matter of waiting. It really sucks, but in the end it will be worth it. As others have said, save that money and use it towards a trip to see your spouse. Come here often for support, we've all been separated from our loved ones at some point so we ALL understand.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Yep, sorry to say. Back in 2009, wait times were MUCH less than what they are now; you just got the bad end of the draw :( I agree with everyone else to save the money to see each other...my husband and I saw each other 5 times while waiting.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.