TJC78

NOA2 Approved! Just one major concern...

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all, as the title states, my NOA2 was approved today. I know it must pass through the NVC and then on to the consulate in Kiev, and there's really no telling exactly how long that takes. I'm ok with that. However, I was doing some reading on the Kiev Embassy website, and I noticed that one requirement for the interview process is that both biological parents must be present at the time of the interview. Now for the backstory: my fiancée was pregnant from another man before I met her, but he disappeared soon after he found out, never to be seen again. At the advice of my immigration attorney, she made up a name to list on the baby's birth certificate. Since the biological father is nowhere to be found, and the name on the certificate isn't an actual person, is that going to create problems at the interview? I think she could probably say something like she didn't know who the father was so she made up a name, but I don't know how well that will work. Any thoughts?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all, as the title states, my NOA2 was approved today. I know it must pass through the NVC and then on to the consulate in Kiev, and there's really no telling exactly how long that takes. I'm ok with that. However, I was doing some reading on the Kiev Embassy website, and I noticed that one requirement for the interview process is that both biological parents must be present at the time of the interview. Now for the backstory: my fiancée was pregnant from another man before I met her, but he disappeared soon after he found out, never to be seen again. At the advice of my immigration attorney, she made up a name to list on the baby's birth certificate. Since the biological father is nowhere to be found, and the name on the certificate isn't an actual person, is that going to create problems at the interview? I think she could probably say something like she didn't know who the father was so she made up a name, but I don't know how well that will work. Any thoughts?

I suspect it will be a big problem as they will be looking for a notarized permission statement along with a copy of this person's passport.

Probably better to see if the BC can be corrected. (Anything can be corrected in Ukraine, for a fee)

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I suspect it will be a big problem as they will be looking for a notarized permission statement along with a copy of this person's passport.

Probably better to see if the BC can be corrected. (Anything can be corrected in Ukraine, for a fee)

Yes this will be a big problem. She needs to have a new BC created listing no father or as stated, they will want a statement from the father. Emailing the Embassy will provide the exact requirements.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

It is NOT a problem at all. There is a special form in Ukraine (something about paragraph 135 of Ukraine Family law, I'm not sure what it called) , that comes with child's birth certificate, which states that name of father was written in by mother. She needs to get this form (if it is not in hands already). Every Embassy knows a purpose of that form, and will NOT require anything from father. My fiancée's daughter was getting all kind of visas with this form and not a single Consulate gave hard time about it. If your fiancée is not familiar with this procedures - I can ask mine for detailed explanation of this process step-by-step.

It's not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It's because we dare not venture that they are difficult. (Seneca Junior)

Timeline

Also, since it is uncommon situation, I would suggest to get an Appostille for both Birth Certificate and this form.

It's not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It's because we dare not venture that they are difficult. (Seneca Junior)

Timeline

Just curious...is it possible to get a new BC with no father listed, or is there evidence of the father's name in other documents?

Ukraine, and most of the countries of former USSR, doesn't give you an option to have name of father(or mother) to be blank in Birth Certificate.

"Article 135. Entering Records on the Child’s Parents when Parental, Maternal Affiliation

Has not been Established

1. If the unmarried mother gives birth to a child, in the absence of the parents’ joint application,

the father’s application or the judicial decision, the record on the child’s father is entered in the Birth

Register by the mother’s family name while the first name and patronymic are passed on to the child

upon the mother’s instruction.

Whenever the mother dies or it is impossible to find out her place of residence, the record on

the mother and the father of the child is entered in accordance with the present Article upon

application of the relatives, other persons or authorized representative of the health institution where

the child was delivered.

2. If the child’s parents are unknown, the record on them is entered in the Birth Register upon

decision of the Custody and Care Authority. "

Edited by StvM

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Russia allow a BC yo be made without a father being listed; my son has one in the documents drawer.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ukraine, and most of the countries of former USSR, doesn't give you an option to have name of father(or mother) to be blank in Birth Certificate.

My step-daughter's russian BC does not have anything listed. Makes it that much easier for me to adopt, I hope!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Both parents do NOT need to be present. They were not for our children.

If there is no "actual father" listed on the birth certificate she can get a "certificate of no father" from ZAGs and this will suffice.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is NOT a problem at all. There is a special form in Ukraine (something about paragraph 135 of Ukraine Family law, I'm not sure what it called) , that comes with child's birth certificate, which states that name of father was written in by mother. She needs to get this form (if it is not in hands already). Every Embassy knows a purpose of that form, and will NOT require anything from father. My fiancée's daughter was getting all kind of visas with this form and not a single Consulate gave hard time about it. If your fiancée is not familiar with this procedures - I can ask mine for detailed explanation of this process step-by-step.

This is correct and it is the certificate of no father that I spoke of. She can get it at ZAGs (ministry of Internal Affairs)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.