Loving Neneng

Must she carry her green card daily?

104 posts in this topic

Well, the governing law in this situation is INA 264(e): Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

So... If you want to have a misdemeanor on your record plus possibly $100 fine plus possibly up to 30 day jail, then suit yourself.

So they will be rounding up all the Jury Duty Scofflaws with all the Green Card non- compliance holders before all of the THOUSANDS of FELONY, and VIOLENT arrest warrants that are on the police backlog ACROSS the USA?

The jails everywhere are already PACKED at 200% capacity, and tax payers refuse to fund more prisons and jails as it is..... :whistle:

Hey, if you still don;t believe it, then enforce Jay Walking and other misdemeanor crimes that threaten Jail TIme. My favorite is the warning before EVERY movie: 6 months in Jail for stealing this movie :lol:

I woke up and smelled the coffee and reality...about 16 years ago.....Good luck, though. Peace

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Some laws need to change. There are towns where you are forbidden to howl like a wolf and to take a bath.

Just Bob, I am curious, how did you come up with the 25% chance of loosing the green card. Anyhow, in your cost/benefit analysis you are missing the fact that the cheap and convenient solution violates federal law. Other than that, your logic is undeniable.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Some laws need to change.

I agree. But if you strongly believe that the law is wrong, you should petition your senate representative, start awareness campaign, etc. Breaking the silly (in your opinion) law is still breaking the law.

So they will be rounding up all the Jury Duty Scofflaws with all the Green Card non- compliance holders before all of the THOUSANDS of FELONY, and VIOLENT arrest warrants that are on the police backlog ACROSS the USA?

The jails everywhere are already PACKED at 200% capacity, and tax payers refuse to fund more prisons and jails as it is..... :whistle:

Hey, if you still don;t believe it, then enforce Jay Walking and other misdemeanor crimes that threaten Jail TIme. My favorite is the warning before EVERY movie: 6 months in Jail for stealing this movie :lol:

I agree, there is very slim chance you will ever be prosecuted under this statute, but that's not the point I am trying to make. There is a variety of petty crimes I can commit with high probability of never being caught or prosecuted for. This is not however the reason I do not commit them. I understand that there are people who feel otherwise.

Edited by DrVS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

And, I believe that anyone who is detained ONCE for not carrying a green card will not be eager to repeat the experience. Does anyone relish the thought of spending a few hours, let alone a day or more, incarcerated with a bunch of felons, narco-traffickers, murderers, rapists, MS-13 gang members, and God knows who else? If you're the USC and love your spouse, one would think that you would do everything in your power to protect your loved one from the above easily preventable spectre. Federal agents (and their local & state accomplices) are in more places than we expect, and they're NOT understanding and they're NOT our friends.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

T Bone, stop scaring the children. Here in the real world no "normal" person living a "normal" life will ever come in contact with USCIS, ICE, or CBP officers outside the country's borders, interstate checkpoints, and government buildings. If we were to transfer your scare tactics to the normal life, one should not set cross a street in order to avoid being run over by a car, should not go to a liquor store in order to avoid being mugged, and not drive to San Diego in order to avoid being kidnapped and assassinated by the Mexican drug cartel.

I don't know where you live, but I live in Southern California for close to 20 years and I have never even seen a guy with an ICE jacket, except on TV, and my business is in the poor part of town, where the Hispanic population is in the clear majority over us Gringos.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Why even worry about carrying it? There are 10 million+ illegals in the country who work, drive and insure cars, own their own businesses, get licenses from the town and state to operate a business, travel freely throughout the country by car, plane, etc, use fake ss# for work, don't file taxes, etc etc etc and nothing happens to them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Some laws need to change. There are towns where you are forbidden to howl like a wolf and to take a bath.

In Iowa it's illegal to accept tips/gratuities yet it happens all over the place because tipping is normal. It seems no-one knows the law is there but it's listed in one of the "stupid state laws" sites. Funny really.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If we were to transfer your scare tactics to the normal life, one should not set cross a street in order to avoid being run over by a car, should not go to a liquor store in order to avoid being mugged, and not drive to San Diego in order to avoid being kidnapped and assassinated by the Mexican drug cartel.
The analogy isn't correct. Try to carry a color photocopy of your driver's license and present it to a law-enforcement officer or as identification, and see how far it gets you. Multiply the ominous implications by several powers of magnitude with the green card on a Federal level.

People here are free to disregard a very clear law and feel great that they won't lose their green card. The fact remains that they may not have the green card on them when they need it, and that's when they'll regret their decision not to carry it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

deadhorse.png

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

deadhorse.png

Very Funny!!

Met thru friend May 2006

02/22/2008-Married

04/02/2008-Date I-130 Sent :

04/10/2008-Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) :

07/03/2008-Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) :

07/03/2008-Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :

07/12/2008- Date Package Received By NVC :

07/15/2008- Return Completed DS-3032 :

09/06/2008- Pay I-864 Bill : Bill in mail while in Philippines for two months

09/12/2008- Receive IV Bill :

09/16/2008- Paid IV Bill online :

09/18/2008- Bill shows paid online :

09/27/2008- Received I-864 Package :

09/29/2008- Mailed I-864 Package to NVC :

10/02/2008- I-864 packet delivered to Portsmouth NH 11AM per USPS tracking

10/03/2008- I-864 package entered into NVC system

10/13/2008- I-864 confirmed approved by phone with NVC

10/20/2008- In Philippines helping assembly DS-230 Documents to send

10/22/2008- Sent DS-230 package by FedEx to NVC :

10/23/2008- DS-230 Package rec'd by R. Pearse 9:27am at NVC

10/24/2008- Now just waiting for NVC to approve DS-230

10/29/2008- NVC approved DS-230, Called today 11/1/2008 from Phils to ask status and was told the good news!!!

11/06/2008- Interview date set 12/12/2008, Received email reply confirming date but still need letter!

11/20/2008- Letter received in Philippines

11/25/2008- Medical at St Lukes everything ok!!!!!!

12/12/2008- Interview complete but need Marriage Index from NSO. Applied for 12/15/2008

01/06/2009- Got Marriage Index at NSO & took it to USEM, was told they will call when Visa can be picked up

01/16/2009- Visa delivered by Delbros....fantastic!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Gandhi would disagree with you :)

Besides, I am not USC, so they are not MY representatives.

I agree. But if you strongly believe that the law is wrong, you should petition your senate representative, start awareness campaign, etc. Breaking the silly (in your opinion) law is still breaking the law.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

In some States, if a police pulled you over asking for your driver license, he/she will check your immigration status as well; and, the next thing they will ask for is you current valid green card. Yes, the holograms-imprinted plastic one, not a photocopy. Georgia is one of them now.

Spoken from experience.

Filed: Other Timeline

In some States, if a police pulled you over asking for your driver license, he/she will check your immigration status as well; and, the next thing they will ask for is you current valid green card. Yes, the holograms-imprinted plastic one, not a photocopy. Georgia is one of them now.

Spoken from experience.

Georgia is the only one, not "one of them" and it's only a matter of weeks until a federal judge will put an injunction on this, as it interferes with federal law and the supremacy clause.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Spoken from experience.

So what the Police will check if average Larry the cable guy got pulled over, or someone who look like George Lopez? I will never carry my GC with me for that purpose, unless is it free to replace. As long as I have my DL, proof of insurance and registration current I'm not intimated.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Georgia is the only one, not "one of them" and it's only a matter of weeks until a federal judge will put an injunction on this, as it interferes with federal law and the supremacy clause.

If it goes into affect in a few weeks (and I agree with you, that's a big 'if'!), HB 87 as it stands does not give officers the ability to demand a GC from any foreigner they pull over for having a tail light out just because they feel like it.

To be able to ask about a suspect's immigration status, the officer has to be investigating a criminal offence. Traffic stops aren't normally made regarding criminal matters. Secondly, you don't have to show a GC or other immigration document to satisfy HB 87's requirements. A GA driver's license or ID, or one from any state that requires proof of lawful presence to get a license (that's all of them, right?) is sufficient to demonstrate lawful presence for purposes of that particular law. It's an entirely separate issue from the requirement to carry your green card.

Further reading: HB 87 (see Section 8).

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.