kdlangfan

Police Check

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm very excited because FINALLY I got my packet 3 today! yay!

However, I'm a bit confused and hoping someone can help clarify the police check for me.

I went back and read the few threads I could find about this, but I am still totally confused.

I have spoken with my local police station and they told me there are 4 different databases that could be accessed for a police check and that you need a written request for any associated with the RCMP. They also said there is a basic police check and an enhanced check available at the local level.....with or without fingerprints.

My questions are this - exactly what kind of police check do I need and where do I go to get it? Do I need to be fingerprinted?

Just as background - I am in Ontario and I have no criminal record at all.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have no criminal record then you do not need to have a finger print police check done.

I just went to the big police quarters downtown Ottawa filled out one of the papers they had ( not the one for working with children ) I believe it was a green form at the time. They took it and put it in a machine which printed some stuff on it and said NO RECORD then the woman used an embossing stamp on it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a bit late- but if you still haven't got it yet, all you need is something that shows that your name and date of birth were searched in the CPIC or criminal records repository (I don't remember what it's called exactly.) You do NOT need to get your fingerprints done- they do those at the interview. You don't need to go to the RCMP if you don't have a criminal record.

I got mine done at 22 division in Brampton. I filled out a form with my name, date of birth, and my addresses for the last five years. Then they entered it in the database, saw that nothing showed up, and stamped the form I filled out. It was $50, $5 for an extra copy. It was easy and painless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have no criminal record then you do not need to have a finger print police check done.

I just went to the big police quarters downtown Ottawa filled out one of the papers they had ( not the one for working with children ) I believe it was a green form at the time. They took it and put it in a machine which printed some stuff on it and said NO RECORD then the woman used an embossing stamp on it.

That's it? That's all you had to do? and you got it right there on the spot?

I live in a small city in BC that only has an rcmp station and when I went to pick up the forums, ( I got the one for working with children plus another one, but it's not green its white) the lady said bring these back with 50$ and they will take 4-6 weeks?? I was planning on going tom to get it sent away right away but if you guys are getting it on the spot I must have the wrong forum. On the top of my forum it says Royal Canadian mounted police consent for disclosure of criminal record info. Is that the same on you had?

Just some info I don't have any criminal records either.

Thanks for your replies! That does help...thank you!

Kaibosh, I think how long it takes depends on where you live. I live in a smaller city and I had to have a police check done last year for a job...they told me then there are two kinds done at the local level, the basic one and the more advanced one that shows parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc. I just got the basic one and it showed that my name did not appear in whatever database they searched. I'll check again and if it's CPIC, then I'll just do that again for the visa. But it wasn't instant for me....it took a week or so. They sent it to a larger city about a half hour from my city to do the actual check. I could have just driven there, but the record dept is only open business hours whereas I can go to my local station and pick it up 24/7. So I'm guessing if your local station has to send it further than half an hour away, that's why yours will take 4-6 weeks.

BTW - just got my confirmation email from DHL (I signed up for that on their website) - Montreal now has my packet 3! Yaaay! I'm super excited and now freaking out because I have so much to do after doing nothing but waiting for almost a year!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in a small city in BC that only has an rcmp station and when I went to pick up the forums, ( I got the one for working with children plus another one, but it's not green its white) the lady said bring these back with 50$ and they will take 4-6 weeks?? I was planning on going tom to get it sent away right away but if you guys are getting it on the spot I must have the wrong forum. On the top of my forum it says Royal Canadian mounted police consent for disclosure of criminal record info. Is that the same on you had?

everyone seems to have a different experinece with getting the police check.. some people have to wait others get theirs on the spot..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

everyone seems to have a different experinece with getting the police check.. some people have to wait others get theirs on the spot..

Just got back from the RCMP office, if you live in a bigger city avoid the RCMP office at all costs, the lady I got was a complete idiot, she made me fill out the forum for working with kids?? Said it had to be done to get the police check, then I had to fill out 2 smaller yellow pages that were both the same, plus the longer sheet that I had already come there with done.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it varies from province to province and city to city. Ontario has its own police force after all. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't traveled outside of Ontario much, but the other provinces primarily have RCMP for their police force, right? Whereas Ontario has both the RCMP and Ontario Provincial Police, so more resources to work with.

@KDLang: Congrats! Things go much faster now! Good luck with putting your packet 3 together. It's really easy, so don't worry or stress out :)

Edited by pocheros

Thanks Pocheros! I sent back my packet 3 last week and it was successfully delivered the next day! I'm seriously excited that this whole long ridiculous process is now finally paying off and we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. My fiance and I only live 2 hours from each other by car! I live very close to the border and none of our friends and family can believe it's taken so long - 11 months to this point. Yay for packet 3 being at the Consulate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.