DS1419

Work related questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I posted a similar question in the Canadian forum, though I'm hoping some people here might have gone through similar experiences.

In 2 weeks time I will be moving to Seattle from Vancouver, BC, Canada on my K1 Visa. My fiancee and I are to be married on July 3rd. As I'm not allowed to do any form of paid work without employment authorization documents until I get my green card, I've been searching for volunteer opportunities or unpaid internships to gain experience during my waiting time.

What I'm wondering though, it whether or not volunteer work or unpaid interships are in violation of the K1 visa or AOS waiting period. Would I need my EAD forms to be able to work as an unpaid intern? I've interviewed for a similar position for a consulting firm, with the position lasting until September, and it would be great experience in my field, however, I'd hate to lose my status/be deported due to such a mistake should I need the EAD forms. Any light on the situation would be great. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well it does, and that link clearly says no to unpaid internships or volunteer work, however, this one below clearly says yes, hence me asking if anyone has experiences with it.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/206459-volunteer-work-while-waiting-for-ead/

The job was advertised as unpaid, so technically I wouldn't be taking a paid job away from anyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That link says yes to volunteer work not unpaid internships.

Yes you can volunteer. There are many places that you can volunteer at that are not in any position to pay someone to do the job.

Its the unpaid internship that is in question because if a USC can be hired for an internship that is exactly the same or be hired for that job and be paid for it, thats where the danger lies.

Your key word also " technically " would you want to risk everything?

Companies in the US have to look at all USC candidates before hiring a green card holder or EAD holder.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Burkina Faso
Timeline

Companies in the US have to look at all USC candidates before hiring a green card holder or EAD holder.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is incorrect, at least for green card holders. Companies have to look at all permanent residents AND USCs before looking at non-residents looking to emigrate to the US for a job. The exception is jobs that are restricted to USCs (eg some gov't jobs). To my knowledge there is nothing that says that a company need favor USCs over permanent residents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.