Mrs_Mouse

One parent will not sign affadavit. Anyone else? Ugh.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This may seem an odd question but I had to ask this of the other members here on VisaJourney.com I am sure I can't be the first to have this problem, but has anyone else had the problem that one of their parents would not sign an affidavit for their RFE?

Since my marriage, my mother and others in my family seem to have fallen into the wind. I've heard a few remarks about religion off hand. A few remarks here and there about where my husband is from... but when I approached my mother to write and sign an affidavit I was smacked in the face with a remark somewhat similar to "I don't know anything about your marriage." Now given that this is a true marriage in every way that a marriage is... it blew me away. I can't even understand where some of this comes from, but I must live my life and not dwell on these things. So I move on to the next thing on my list. :wacko:

So now the problem is that my RFE specified that I must include an affidavit from both of my parents. Since my parents are divorced - my father is here by my side and eager to help. Now I must think of a way to address the fact that I will not have one from my mother.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Any parents not on board or helpful? Any problems from it? I'm praying it will be nothing of consequence. I'm sure there are other dysfunctional families out there like mine. LOL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Could you write a letter stating that your mother is estranged from your family and you do not have contact with her? Then you and your father both sign it ? Not sure if thats an option just an idea?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Could you write a letter stating that your mother is estranged from your family and you do not have contact with her? Then you and your father both sign it ? Not sure if thats an option just an idea?

Actually I had thought of doing something like that, but I think your idea of having my father sign it is the "perfect touch." Thank you so much....

What a horrible thing to have to deal with. Ugh. As if the process isn't hard enough - let's add some family dysfunction to the mix! :bonk:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This may seem an odd question but I had to ask this of the other members here on VisaJourney.com I am sure I can't be the first to have this problem, but has anyone else had the problem that one of their parents would not sign an affidavit for their RFE?

Since my marriage, my mother and others in my family seem to have fallen into the wind. I've heard a few remarks about religion off hand. A few remarks here and there about where my husband is from... but when I approached my mother to write and sign an affidavit I was smacked in the face with a remark somewhat similar to "I don't know anything about your marriage." Now given that this is a true marriage in every way that a marriage is... it blew me away. I can't even understand where some of this comes from, but I must live my life and not dwell on these things. So I move on to the next thing on my list. :wacko:

So now the problem is that my RFE specified that I must include an affidavit from both of my parents. Since my parents are divorced - my father is here by my side and eager to help. Now I must think of a way to address the fact that I will not have one from my mother.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Any parents not on board or helpful? Any problems from it? I'm praying it will be nothing of consequence. I'm sure there are other dysfunctional families out there like mine. LOL

The parent affidavits in the RFE's I've seen only ask when they became aware of the relationship and that they ARE aware of the marriage took place. If that's all that's in the affidavit (You can write it.) perhaps your mother will sign it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a similar situation to yours..I too had issue with the parent affidavits although my RFE wanted notarized statements from them as to why they did not attend our marriage ceremony..My parents are also divorced, dad was no problem he is very supportive and always has been...not to say mom wasn't, our relationship had become very strained around the time I met my husband and by the time we got married a year later she and I were pretty much estranged....What I did in regards to this affidavit request was to write my own statement briefly explaining this and stating how I did call her prior to leaving for Egypt to tell her I was getting married and then again the day after we married to make the official "we're married" announcement. My dad also included in his statement similar details.. I did provide them with her contact information, however she now has advanced Alzheimer's so I directed them to my aunt whom she now lives with....USCIS was accepting of this and as I said in my other post approved us within a week of receiving our response.

Timeline

I have a similar situation to yours..I too had issue with the parent affidavits although my RFE ...

Wow. Reading your post was like looking at my own life word for word - with the exception that it is Parkinson's for my father now. Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing this with me. I can breathe a little easier knowing I'm not alone on this one and that the government was accepting of the situation after you documented it. A few more days until I mail my RFE packet to immigration and I can relax a little. :)

Timeline

Pushbrk,

Yes, I thought that would be a relatively simple fix for this as well. I did try that route and got shot down on that as well. It looks like I will just have to rely on the hope that I get an understanding immigration agent and that I document it properly. It looks like from my other post that this isn't a totally unusual situation. Thank you for your suggestions.

The parent affidavits in the RFE's I've seen only ask when they became aware of the relationship and that they ARE aware of the marriage took place. If that's all that's in the affidavit (You can write it.) perhaps your mother will sign it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yea,

I had to ask my mom for affidavit saying when i told her I would marry. She is 81 and had a lot of trouble with this as she said. I have not met him. I finally drove the 10 hours to her house and got her to sign notarized one saying just that i told her i would marry. talk to me on jeanne_darrow@yahoo.com as we seem to have a few things in common. My dad was deceased for 19 years I had to provide copy of his death certificate. To me this is ridiculous. anyone of us could just get married here without even informing family. We are all adults. But immigraiton is looking for things we dod not understand so I guess there is a reason. And i really had no idea when i told my mom i would marry him. I just called her one day and told her. Best to you. Jeanne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.