feanor

evidence of support

19 posts in this topic

They want to make sure that you are not going to become a public charge. The petitioner needs to prove that they have a steady income that will be able to support the both of you. No tax returns (though, with a good reason to not have any) and a brand new job of only a couple months will not go far in proving this, in my opinion. This is why co-sponsors exist.

Maybe someone else who has experience with your situation can tell you differently, but from what I know of the process, it seems unlikely it will be approved. It seems like you are leaving a lot to chance. You are depending on the chance that she will a) get a job (and in this economy, that's no easy task) and b) it will pay as much as you need it to and c) a brand new employer would be willing to provide a letter stating that she is guaranteed work.

Even if these things happen, a co-sponsor would be a good safety net to have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems odd they would deny someone just because the petitioner was a former student and has a job that a a few months old I mean technically we have everything they asked for seeing as they don't ask that you be at your job for more than 6 months prior to petitioning or anything like that, and only ask for previous tax returns or a reason why you don't have them.

You should check out the I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Especially point 7. You will find it here : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf.

Your fiancee needs to provide that once your case has made it to the foreign consulate. In your case that will be Montreal.

Your file will go through USCIS for 5-6 months before it gets approved (NOA2) then transit through NVC for 2-3 weeks then will be treated by the consulate in Montreal. Dealing with Montreal's Packet 3, Packet 4 and scheduling an appointment should take 2-3 months. You're getting into a year long process. More info about those here : http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=index

I-134 also asks the USC to list assets like investments and bonds, life insurance and personal property. If your fiancee has been saving up money, she can request a letter statement from her bank showing regular deposits in her account. She has to prove you won't be a burden to the US and she is fit to provide for you.

Keep in mind you won't be eligible to work in the US until you receive your GC, which should be about 4-6 months after your POE. In your case money seems to be an issue. I would suggest you spend those long months of waiting saving up money or consider the CR-1 visa which would grant you right to work as soon as you will be eligible to move to the US.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: Timeline

Yea but a Cr-1 means we need to be married first and that would have to be outside of the states. Sorry I tried to get that damn visa journey thing going but i already have my interview date in August. So basically the consensus is I need a co-sponsor. I might have a co-sponsor but she is already sponsoring her husband for a green card ( they got married in february) this going to be an issue ? I know you need to make a certain amount per household member but does this mean I would add to that household ? or is she still at the 2 person in a household mark ? meaning do i make it 3. I hope that's not confusing. thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.