pocheros

P4 was logged but not allowed to book interview?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I called department of state twice today and they said that P4 was "put together" for my case today. I talked to two different people and when I asked if I'm eligible to book an interview at Montreal they told me I should wait. I explained to the second lady I talked to that if P4 was permission to book an interview then why couldn't I? She said I should wait just in case there's instructions within packet 4 that would make me want to book an appointment at a later date than I thought (yeah right e_e) and when I asked her if they'd flag my case if I tried to book an interview she said she didn't know. She also said they only know when P4 is logged, not when it's mailed out as they're mailed out in batches. It sounded like she was avoiding giving me "permission" to book an interview as their calls are monitored and she was probably just trying to do her job the way DoS wants them to.

It didn't really sound like they were saying "yes" or "no" explicitly since that's what P4 is supposed to be about...

So, this is what I know: P4 has definitely been logged for me, but whether or not it was mailed is unknown. It was logged today.

What I don't know: can I book an interview now? Will Montreal flag my case if I try to book it? Does whether or not it's been physically mailed affect the status of my case? Will Montreal "know" or care?

It's a long weekend. I really, really don't want to wait for Montreal to mail it before I can book an interview.

Edited by pocheros

I called department of state twice today and they said that P4 was "put together" for my case today. I talked to two different people and when I asked if I'm eligible to book an interview at Montreal they told me I should wait. I explained to the second lady I talked to that if P4 was permission to book an interview then why couldn't I? She said I should wait just in case there's instructions within packet 4 that would make me want to book an appointment at a later date than I thought (yeah right e_e) and when I asked her if they'd flag my case if I tried to book an interview she said she didn't know. She also said they only know when P4 is logged, not when it's mailed out at they're mailed out in batches. It sounded like she was avoiding giving me "permission" to book an interview as their calls are monitored and she was probably just trying to do her job the way DoS wants them to.

So, this is what I know P4 has definitely been logged for me, but whether or not it was mailed is unknown. It was logged today.

What I don't know: can I book an interview now? Will Montreal flag my case if I try to book it? Does whether or not it's been physically mailed affect the status of my case? Will Montreal "know" or care?

It's a long weekend. I really, really don't want to wait for Montreal to mail it before I can book an interview.

I'm just theorizing, but if they only know when P4 is put together and not EXACTLY when it's sent, what would the problem be in booking once it's put together? I was told I could book mine on the same day they "put together" P4, and if they can't verify the "sent" status of it, what would the point be in waiting for it to arrive? Especially since with VJ you know everything that P4 contains?

The DoS employees don't seem to know a lot about the individual consulates *specific* procedures...

:( Hopefully someone else can weight in, but if it were me I would book it.

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Timeline

I know! So frustrating! I was under the impression that she wants us to see the instructions before we book an appointment! Sigh... And in another thread, the DoS operator apparently knows when the P4s are mailed out? Ugh. I think I will wait for some more responses before I do anything but I am super tempted to start trying to book an interview right this instant. Lol. Or maybe I will call back in an hour and hopefully get another person who says I can. XD

Edit: I am trying to find a pdf of packet 4. What I've read says that packet 4 contains "the date and time of the interview" but that doesn't make sense since we're supposed to book an appointment after we get it. Is your "interview letter" one that you receive in the email (i.e. the one you bring to the medical exam and to the consulate on the day of your interview)?

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Well, I found a pdf of packet 4 and it definitely instructs you to make an appointment online. Ugh so tempting!

Maybe try explaining when you call again that you're familiar with the process? Or just hope you get an agent who is better informed on Montreal's process?

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

3rd time's the charm! I just called again and the lady gave me permissionw ithout me even asking! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

So, to anyone else who sees this, if they state that Pkt4 is ready but they don't give you permission just keep calling every 20 minutes or so and speak to different people. :)

3rd time's the charm! I just called again and the lady gave me permissionw ithout me even asking! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

So, to anyone else who sees this, if they state that Pkt4 is ready but they don't give you permission just keep calling every 20 minutes or so and speak to different people. :)

YAY!

Congrats :) Hopefully the interview date isn't too disheartening. (It was Aug 17th when I left for work)

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

Thanks :D I just got mine! Monday august 22nd, 8:31 am! It was the earliest available date. I think it's funny it actually says 8:31, not 8:30. LOL.

Was hoping for something earlier, but we can keep trying to re-schedule, right? Even if I can't get an earlier date it's okay because I don't have any obligations. And OMG I'm so happy.

Also, my petition expires on August 10th, do I have to call anyone to let them know I haven't abandoned my case, or do they automatically extend it as soon as you book an interview?

Congrats on the interview...Keep checking for earlier dates to open up. Yes your expiration date will automatically be extended :-)

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Timeline

Thanks Jeannie :) And to everyone on this forum thank you SO MUCH for de-mystifying this godforsaken process, and for putting up with my spazziness! It's been such a comfort to be able to talk to people going through the same experience as me! Good luck to everyone else as well! :)

Edited by pocheros

Congratulations!! Mine's 8:01 on the 3rd, so I guess they just book them that way by default! :D

And I'm 100% with youy, without VJ I don't think we'd have been able to do this and with all the help and support these forums provide it's such a comfort and makes everything seem so simple!

K1:

AOS:

ROC:

Timeline

Congratulations!! Mine's 8:01 on the 3rd, so I guess they just book them that way by default! :D

And I'm 100% with youy, without VJ I don't think we'd have been able to do this and with all the help and support these forums provide it's such a comfort and makes everything seem so simple!

Yeah, can you imagine what it must've been like to do this before the internet? And that wasn't that long ago! We'd probably have to hire lawyers who didn't know anything! LOL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.