spikedog

Dealing with the parents

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

THAT is sooooo true! its actually happening to me..its sad coz its happens alot here, specially in rural areas in the Philippines, where im from :) i actually quoted you on that and posted it on my facebook :lol: changed a few words so it would fit on the allowed characters on the status :lol: hope you dont mind :lol:

I don't mind at all and don't need credit. Spread the gospel.

One of the sobering things for a Filipina from that environment is being told by everyone how easy your life is now married to an Americano. Dealing with the envy, jealousy, and sense of entitlement from others with their hand out. The Filipinos working abroad have a similar problem.

When I first lived with my Fiance in 2008, our extended family built a house together. I have a construction background and I was in good shape so I was carrying more hollow block than anyone else and working long days. People gathered around to watch the bizarre event of a white guy working. They made fun of my father in law (nice young man, younger than me) about having an Americano employee. He really hated that.

They had it backwards. We had a house because we were building it with our hands and backs while they sat on their butts. They wanted to believe an Americano has a house because it falls from the sky. So in their minds it was strange to see me working. I made furniture and cabinets too. People would say "you have money, why not buy?" You tell them "this is why I have money - because I work." That's just common sense, and there are plenty of Filipinos with a great work ethic. These are not the ones with their hands out, acting like you are obligated to give them money. The idea of Americanos being rich without work is a selfish concept used by people of bad character to justify leeching off them. It is just like the bank robber saying that the bank didn't do anything to earn the money so the theft is justified.

Filed: Timeline

I don't mind at all and don't need credit. Spread the gospel.

One of the sobering things for a Filipina from that environment is being told by everyone how easy your life is now married to an Americano. Dealing with the envy, jealousy, and sense of entitlement from others with their hand out. The Filipinos working abroad have a similar problem.

When I first lived with my Fiance in 2008, our extended family built a house together. I have a construction background and I was in good shape so I was carrying more hollow block than anyone else and working long days. People gathered around to watch the bizarre event of a white guy working. They made fun of my father in law (nice young man, younger than me) about having an Americano employee. He really hated that.

They had it backwards. We had a house because we were building it with our hands and backs while they sat on their butts. They wanted to believe an Americano has a house because it falls from the sky. So in their minds it was strange to see me working. I made furniture and cabinets too. People would say "you have money, why not buy?" You tell them "this is why I have money - because I work." That's just common sense, and there are plenty of Filipinos with a great work ethic. These are not the ones with their hands out, acting like you are obligated to give them money. The idea of Americanos being rich without work is a selfish concept used by people of bad character to justify leeching off them. It is just like the bank robber saying that the bank didn't do anything to earn the money so the theft is justified.

It's all too true. But, you see some of that same attitude here, not realizing how good Americans really have it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.