Mrs_Mouse

Help!? Problems with RFE for bonafide marriage

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello all, I was hoping maybe someone could lend a few words of wisdom and support while I attempt to provide the USCIS with their proof of a "bonafide marriage" in response to their RFE.

I was getting no where with my I-130 application and after 6 months requested a inquiry on the case. I was immediately sent a RFE for proof of a bonafide marriage in addition to the response to inquiry stating that they were waiting for additional information. Yes, oddly it was nearly on the same dates. Now I am furiously trying to find the proper "proof" to send them.

A little background, my husband is still in Morocco while I am again residing in the USA. We had a short courtship with internet and phone, visits with family members in the states, etc. However, we did not meet in person until I went to Morocco. We decided to marry within a few weeks. I stayed on approximately 4 months but came home due to medical reasons. The medical care I receive here in the states was better and also covered by my insurance. Since coming back to the states I began the I-130 process in August of 2010. Now it is several months later and I am scrambling for the information they have requested.

GIven the circumstances, how to I provide the proof they are asking for? Banks will not add him to the account without him being here. I've given up my apartment and am residing with my parent to save some money while I am waiting (and to assist him as my father has Parkinson's disease) - so their is no joint lease. The auto insurance company has no person to add to the policy as he does not live here. I don't have him on medical insurance since I am now unemployed. And frankly, I don't have fancy receipts from travels while I was there. There were souk markets and cash spent while I was in Morocco but none of the things we typically do here in the states that leave a paper trail. I don't think we used a credit card 1 time while we were there. We stayed in a family summer home in another city for our honeymoon. And since I became sick midway through my trip, I surely did not want pictures taken of my sick face! ;-)

Since returning to the states, we also send money back and forth through family members - since it is impossible to wire transfer money out of morocco into an account here. I suppose this is what they are calling spousal support. We do have a joint account in Morocco thank heavens. But that is rarely used to be honest. Since in that culture family takes care of family, I find that the money is entangled with other family members since real estate, business ventures, etc. all go to benefit the family. Even gifts that he sends we often through on a plane with a friend of a friend, a family member etc.

So apart from the normal marriage certificates i really have little to nothing of all this evidence that they want. I am exhausted. If my therapist could write a letter of the toll it's taken on my nerves... maybe that would work. Even my poor train tickets that we had for our honeymoon trip have faded. So there go one of the few things i did have. And of course, the visitors that visited us as a married couple while we were in Morocco were family. They don't necessarily fit into the "3rd party affidavit" category.

I suppose I was naive in thinking not to document my entire relationship - it's not something I had ever thought I would have to do. Months of calling cards do no good in providing proof of the courtship - but it was a frugal and cost-wise decision to make at the time. The internet was great for video chatting as well. But alas, none of these gives me any of the proof I so desperately need. All I have is logs of internet chat when the internet overseas is bad and the video is out. Shall I send 600 pages of chat that includes some of our most intimate details of our marriage?

Can anyone throw a few words of advice or a little wisdom my way? I honestly can say I had no idea what we were up against with all this paperwork. In the middle of "falling in love, playing footsie under the table while the parents weren't looking, and hiding in the city gardens of Casablanca sneaking a kiss... I suppose we forgot about the "business" side of marriage.

By the way, I did have a curve ball thrown at me in this RFE. Has anyone else had the request that they send supporting documentation from schools, etc. to prove that their spouse spoke their same language before meeting? I had never heard of this before. Thankfully that was one thing I could get! LOL

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

How do you communicate? Phone? IM? Emails? These are all evidence. You mention 600 pages of chat. No you don't need to send all of that, but enough samples to show ongoing communications (We sent one day of chat from each week) What about photos from your time together? Flight receipts, passport stamps etc. Did you submit any of this type of information? The bank statements from the joint account can be used also. How the money is spent isn't so important so long as you are both on the account and there is a paper trail showing where you have deposited money. Bank statements showing withdrawls that you have givine to his family is secondary evidence also. e-cards, actual letters, post cards. Receipts from your trip. even if it is just credit card statements showing you spent money there. Morocco is a high fraud country so it will be an uphill battle

AS for the request for documentation from schools is not that unusual. It is a little ridiculous, but they want some bona fide proof that you speak a common language. Certificates or diplomas with transcripts showing the courses taken and details of the english classes, assuming he speaks english. If you speak his native tongue then you will need the same information for your schooling.

What evidence did you send?

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Some of the evidence listed, such as Joint lease, applies to those who are already in the US and doing Adjestment of Status.

-Have your spouse in Morrocco speak to the Bank manager you maintain a joint account. Have him/her write a letter with Bank letterhead stating that you both maintain a joint account in that bank making sure to include opening date.

-Print out selective chat logs or emails. You don't have to print a ton. Just spread it out to show contineous correspondence like one log per week. 10 pages is enough but you can send as much as you want (Would not recommend more than 20 pages).

-Get copies of your passport bio-page and visa pages, if you have those. It will [indirectly] show that you have personally met your spouse.

-If possible, get a copy of the ticket receipt or even the credit card statement on which you used to purchase the ticket.

-Get any photo you can get showing both of you - no matter when and where. It will show that you personally met and know each other

-Have members of both sides of family/friends write an affidavit affirming that they have a personal knowledge of your actuall marriage. You can get plenty of samples of such affidavit on the internet - google it.

You have to show some evidence that you know each other, have been in contact before and after marriage etc or your visa may be in jeopardy. Note that you don't have to submit every item in the RFE (some of them may not apply to you). If you did not go to school together, don't panic and don't send anything. If you went to the same school, then obtain that statement.

Good luck.

Did you send anything with your application showing a bonafide marriage? There is a list of acceptable items to show proof of the relationship on the application. Some have been mentioned. I would review the information provided on the application for the I-130 and use those as a guide.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

We've seen an increase in the laundry list RFE's for cases from the Middle East and North Africa. Without knowing what was asked for, we would be shooting in the dark telling you how to respond. In general though, don't stress over what ISN'T available and focus on what IS. It's likely you won't have everything. What are they asking for that you CAN provide?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We've seen an increase in the laundry list RFE's for cases from the Middle East and North Africa. Without knowing what was asked for, we would be shooting in the dark telling you how to respond. In general though, don't stress over what ISN'T available and focus on what IS. It's likely you won't have everything. What are they asking for that you CAN provide?

Thank you for your kind words. I think when you said to focus on what I "can" provide it put some things into perspective. But I must say this has got to be one of the most tedious things I have ever done. Wow. You would have to love someone to go through this. LOL. You couldn't pay me to go through this stress. :wacko:

Timeline

How do you communicate? Phone? IM? Emails? These are all evidence. You mention 600 pages of chat. No you don't need to send all of that, but enough samples to show ongoing communications (We sent one day of chat from each week) What about photos from your time together? Flight receipts, passport stamps etc. Did you submit any of this type of information? The bank statements from the joint account can be used also. How the money is spent isn't so important so long as you are both on the account and there is a paper trail showing where you have deposited money. Bank statements showing withdrawls that you have givine to his family is secondary evidence also. e-cards, actual letters, post cards. Receipts from your trip. even if it is just credit card statements showing you spent money there. Morocco is a high fraud country so it will be an uphill battle

AS for the request for documentation from schools is not that unusual. It is a little ridiculous, but they want some bona fide proof that you speak a common language. Certificates or diplomas with transcripts showing the courses taken and details of the english classes, assuming he speaks english. If you speak his native tongue then you will need the same information for your schooling.

What evidence did you send?

Thank you for your suggestion on how to trim down the chat and e-mail logs. I think the stress of it all and the months apart are making me batty. LOL It has just been a difficult battle with all the tedium. I find myself up against bank staff that will not provide copies of my monthly statements - as their is a problem with postal theft with kids in the neighborhood. But alas, I've been given the typical answer for so many of these things that I find odd... it is Morocco. I've started to get used to it. I fought it thinking there is no way on earth that customer service could be so bad, especially with a French bank for example. But yes indeed it has been.

I seem to have assembled everything they have asked for that is relevant, considering we are separated at the moment by 6000 miles. I'm just up to my ears in affidavits and am trying to get everything notarized, getting translations, and assembling my package now. I'm in the homestretch I hope! Fingers crossed and thank you to everyone of you for your kind and helpful words!

P.S. By the way, does anyone send regular traditional cards anymore? I thought I was the last of a dying breed. :P

Timeline

Did you send anything with your application showing a bonafide marriage? There is a list of acceptable items to show proof of the relationship on the application. Some have been mentioned. I would review the information provided on the application for the I-130 and use those as a guide.

Unfortunately, I did not submit all with the initial submission for the I-130. Everything seemed to point that the government was leaning towards limiting the evidence only the named items I found in the directions. Yes, I thought about throwing in all the additional proof to save time but thought it might just complicate things. I pretty much stuck to the basics, the biographical info, marriage certificate, photos, phone call logs, etc. It's now that I am getting into the nitty gritty with the affidavits and proof of ticket purchase,....

Fingers crossed, this will be the end of this and we can move forward. I'm exhausted. :blink:

Edited by Kim & Hatim

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Unfortunately, I did not submit all with the initial submission for the I-130. Everything seemed to point that the government was leaning towards limiting the evidence only the named items I found in the directions. Yes, I thought about throwing in all the additional proof to save time but thought it might just complicate things. I pretty much stuck to the basics, the biographical info, marriage certificate, photos, phone call logs, etc. It's now that I am getting into the nitty gritty with the affidavits and proof of ticket purchase,....

Fingers crossed, this will be the end of this and we can move forward. I'm exhausted. :blink:

got the same rfe and your right im exhausted too:)..but hopefully it will be over soon for us and all this proof will help you and will help me at the interview stage of my process.. :thumbs:

event.png

preg.png

ENGAGED AUGUST 18, 2010

MARRIED OCT 21, 2010

FILED I-130 NOV 13,2010

NOA 1 NOV 15, 2010

NOA 2 JUNE 15, 2011

CASE # JULY 13,2011

DS3032 ACCEPTED JULY 18, 2011

AOS paid JULY 20, 2011

Sent AOS JULY 23, 2011

IV paid JULY 25, 2011

IV sent JULY 28, 2011

CASE CLOSED AUG 8, 2011

INTERVIEW DATE OCT 13, 2011

Timeline

got the same rfe and your right im exhausted too:)..but hopefully it will be over soon for us and all this proof will help you and will help me at the interview stage of my process.. :thumbs:

Wait a minute. You mean we aren't done yet? LOL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi there...I feel your frustration...We received the exact same RFE exactly 5 months from them getting our I130, and I had sent in everything but the kitchen sink with our petition...and as far as our relationship goes, we met online as well but maintained an online relationship for over a year before getting married, I traveled there for a week about 8 months after knowing him to meet in person, stayed 4 months after we married and since then have been back and forth 5 times plus I actually lived there with him and worked there for almost 18 months and still we got this RFE..I was so upset, discouraged, confused...you name it...There doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason as to why or when these get issued bc I've known of plenty of cases in which anyone looking at the relationship would see or think "this has fraud written all over it" yet they flew through the process quickly and with relative ease, meanwhile those of us in truly committed relationship/marriages have to jump through hoops of fire sometimes....All turned out well though, less than 1 week from them receiving our response package we were approved and sent to NVC...so hang in there I promise you will find your way through it :star: Good luck and best wishes to you (F)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am getting paranoid now with all of these RFE's...I must say I'd rather have this than the unfortunate ones who get put into "extensive background checks" which apparently can take an additional 6 mos?? Surely if they can enter info & spit out an NOA1 so quickly, then they could have people checking for evidence & issuing RFE's a bit earlier in the process?!!

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I am getting paranoid now with all of these RFE's...I must say I'd rather have this than the unfortunate ones who get put into "extensive background checks" which apparently can take an additional 6 mos?? Surely if they can enter info & spit out an NOA1 so quickly, then they could have people checking for evidence & issuing RFE's a bit earlier in the process?!!

You misunderstand the process. At the moment a USCIS adjudicator decides to send an RFE, if no need for an RFE, there would be an approval. RFE's come next to the end of the process, not in the middle. It's important to understand that almost all of the petition adjudication process happens within the last few days. The rest of the time between NOA1 and RFE or approval nothing at all is happening. The file is just sitting waiting it turn to be dealt with.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You misunderstand the process. At the moment a USCIS adjudicator decides to send an RFE, if no need for an RFE, there would be an approval. RFE's come next to the end of the process, not in the middle. It's important to understand that almost all of the petition adjudication process happens within the last few days. The rest of the time between NOA1 and RFE or approval nothing at all is happening. The file is just sitting waiting it turn to be dealt with.

You just brightened my day Pushbrk, you said an RFE is "next to the end of the process."

Ahhh, Those are the sweetest words I have heard in a long time. Happy dance! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.