Saylin

Two Alien Numbers?

5 posts in this topic

Back in August 2010, I got denied at the Trudeau Airport in Montreal. The officer there opened a file for me and assigned me an A#. He told me to use this number on all the forms I'd be filling out. So I did. On the NOA2, it lists this number above my name.

Now, I just picked up my visa today at DHL. I saw on the visa that there was a different number under Registration Number. It also has this different number on the sealed envelope as the Alien Registration Number.

Format of original A# given to me: A### - ### - ### (9 digits, not including the A)

New A# on visa: A######## (8 digits, not including the A)

And the two numbers are no where being the same. It's not like just one number is different, they're all completely off.

So, was this an error? Or was I supposed to get a new A# assigned to me after the interview? And who do I contact, if anybody? Should I mention this to the officer when I go through POE next week?

Thanks for any answers :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Saylin, I'm not sure if you should have received a new number or not. It seems odd to me that a CBP officer could assign an A#, I would think they could only be assigned by USCIS, but I may be wrong. As far as the 8 digits on the visa, that is normal.. My A# on my green card is the same as the one on the visa in the passport with a "0" in front which makes it into a 9 digit number.

I would definitely bring it up at POE. Hopefully someone with more information will have more advice.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Saylin, I'm not sure if you should have received a new number or not. It seems odd to me that a CBP officer could assign an A#, I would think they could only be assigned by USCIS, but I may be wrong. As far as the 8 digits on the visa, that is normal.. My A# on my green card is the same as the one on the visa in the passport with a "0" in front which makes it into a 9 digit number.

I would definitely bring it up at POE. Hopefully someone with more information will have more advice.

The officer at the airport was with immigration, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

I'll definitely bring it up at POE then. Hopefully this doesn't cause any problems.

Format of original A# given to me: A### - ### - ### (9 digits, not including the A)

New A# on visa: A######## (8 digits, not including the A)

Just a thought, perhaps these are not both Alien numbers since one has 8 digits and the other has 9 digits?

maybe the new one is number for the visa , which is something completely different?

Best of luck!

Just a thought, perhaps these are not both Alien numbers since one has 8 digits and the other has 9 digits?

maybe the new one is number for the visa , which is something completely different?

Best of luck!

I thought that at first too, but on the paper that's attached to the sealed envelope, it has this same 8-digit number right beside the field that says "Alien Registration Number" and has an A at the beginning. So it definitely is an alien number.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.