raiden

financial support question

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone I am a 22 year old college student. I have maybe about one year from now until I graduate and can apply for a better job/career. I have been in a relationship with my gf/fiance for two years today. I have visited her twice now and plan for a third. Our plan was for me to petition for her later this month. I have a full time job at a nursing home and I am a full time student. I make minimum wage though and I think overall it will be just under the requirements for financial support. She has already finished college once and is currently in college again and about to finish her second bachelors degree. She is older than me by 3 years. She will come live with me and my mom along with my stepdad. My mom and stepdad are not married but thats because my mom has not been able to divorce her last husband. But they have been together for 5 years now and are planning to get a home together. My mom currently is working as a caretaker but part time so I was going to ask my stepdad to co-sponsor for me because he makes nearly 50 grand a year. But my gf is filipina and I keep hearing not all co-sponsors are accepted there. I hope that doesnt affect us because I have a full-time job even while in college and soon will graduate so I am working hard towards my future. My girlfriend will also be finishing college a second time and has a full-time job as well. My stepdad and I are close of course and we all get along real well and he of course loves my mom. Any chance I might get denied?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As your stepdad isn;t your official stepdad, yes I think there is a good chance of denial as Manila is very strict on co-sponsors for the K1. Would you consider getting married on your enxt trip and file for the CR-1 spousal visa instead? You can have a co-sponsor for that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone I am a 22 year old college student. I have maybe about one year from now until I graduate and can apply for a better job/career. I have been in a relationship with my gf/fiance for two years today. I have visited her twice now and plan for a third. Our plan was for me to petition for her later this month. I have a full time job at a nursing home and I am a full time student. I make minimum wage though and I think overall it will be just under the requirements for financial support. She has already finished college once and is currently in college again and about to finish her second bachelors degree. She is older than me by 3 years. She will come live with me and my mom along with my stepdad. My mom and stepdad are not married but thats because my mom has not been able to divorce her last husband. But they have been together for 5 years now and are planning to get a home together. My mom currently is working as a caretaker but part time so I was going to ask my stepdad to co-sponsor for me because he makes nearly 50 grand a year. But my gf is filipina and I keep hearing not all co-sponsors are accepted there. I hope that doesnt affect us because I have a full-time job even while in college and soon will graduate so I am working hard towards my future. My girlfriend will also be finishing college a second time and has a full-time job as well. My stepdad and I are close of course and we all get along real well and he of course loves my mom. Any chance I might get denied?

You asked a fair question and gave alot of information so you can get an idea of a posible: 129-F Approval. (based on the currant situation and deciding to apply now and chance of a denial.) I cannot answer that but I read your post and it appears to me this way:

Your up against 2 major factors with the USCIS and even more with the Philipphine Consolate: Short of Income for the Poverty Requirements filing on your own. / and 2 that the Phils "normally" don't accept a Co-sponsor but I have heard they do in rare cases;

That would be a close family member and you mentioned "Your Step-father" Legally, he's not your Step Father because he is not married to your mom.

Not to be negative but, you will soon (one year) be out of School. You can File the 129-F about 4 months before Graduation and in hopes of not being Full-time in School and working to meet the Income Requirements at the time of her interview with proof.

They will look at you being Colledge Educated and Look at her being Colledge Educated as not to become a Public Charge.

Might be best to wait and not ask the Stepfather.

Best Guess.

Other members may correct me. I don't have a answer but you were complete in giving us information so others can. GOOD LUCK

As your stepdad isn;t your official stepdad, yes I think there is a good chance of denial as Manila is very strict on co-sponsors for the K1. Would you consider getting married on your enxt trip and file for the CR-1 spousal visa instead? You can have a co-sponsor for that.

EXCELLENT ANSWER. On your 3rd visit as you said: Marry her.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.