liebe.07

process for K-1 visa!!!! help!!!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, so here is the situation just over a year ago I came to the US from Canada as an M-1 (student) Status. My status is about to expire, and I want to apply for the Fiance/Marriage visa (which ever one would be best) My boyfriend is a US citizen. I am wondering, I have a few questions

- I am still residing in the states legally do I have to leave the country to apply for the new status? or can I apply for it and remain here?

-when can I apply for a work permt?

-what is the first step in the fiance visa

-what is the first step in the marriage one (after getting married)

- does my spouse/finance have to fully be able to support me or how does that work?

- any other helpful tips would be great to know as well!!!!

thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Suggest you check the guides.

You have to leave the USA if you file the K-1 or the CR-1. You have to get documents from Canada and have a medical and interview in Canada.

K-1 gets a work permit after applying for AOS which is a long way after the K-1.

CR-1 gets the green card a few weeks after entry.

This is all explained in the guides.

Here is the comparison chart. http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

To see the guides for full steps click on the guide button and select the guide you need.

If you rather marry and then apply for AOS inside the USA you can do that too. With that you would apply for I-130 and I-485, fill out all the paper work for both of thos and attach all supporting documents for them and send them together in the same package. With two separate fees.

Your fiance has to sponsor you and must meet 125% of the poverty guidelines regardless of what rout you take.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

You can marry now and stay in the country and file this. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You will not be able to leave the country until you get travel permission called Advance Parole (AP) or the Greencard itself. AP usually takes a few months.

If you need to go home for some reason, then you could apply for the fiance or spousal visa, whichever is appropriate (if you are married by them or not).

Your husband will need to show he makes 125% of the poverty line, which for a household of two is $18,212. If he doesn't have that, he can use a co-sponsor.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You can marry now and stay in the country and file this. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You will not be able to leave the country until you get travel permission called Advance Parole (AP) or the Greencard itself. AP usually takes a few months.

If you need to go home for some reason, then you could apply for the fiance or spousal visa, whichever is appropriate (if you are married by them or not).

Your husband will need to show he makes 125% of the poverty line, which for a household of two is $18,212. If he doesn't have that, he can use a co-sponsor.

Thats true, if you didn't know each other before you came to the U.S. and can prove it, you can marry here and stay here. You'll still need to show evidence in the future of your on going marriage/relationship and all.

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

as long as you are a full time student your visa stays in effect, it renews. However, if you STOP going to school full time, you DO NOT have a renewal on your visa. Follow the advice of otheres on here. Get married and file AOS from student to married. If you go home, hopefully you can come back on your student if still enroolled. But if you marry, you must wait until you get AP else once you leave you are going to have to file a I-130. Best of luck on what you do.....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.