1HappyGuy

Russian stores in America

45 posts in this topic

Please do not insult American women in the RUB forum. Though we chose not to marry them it is no reason to generalize that they are useless in the kitchen. Reported.

You are saying that American men can't bake and that only American women bake? The nerve... reported :hehe:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are saying that American men can't bake and that only American women bake? The nerve... reported :hehe:

All credentials revoked and confiscated until you pick a country flag for your profile :P

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I haven't been here for a while and I see that nothing changed around here. Same "hot" topics :)

Do you watch the same movies and expect different endings?

The reason nothing changes is because we tell the truth. If someone has different results, it is a good bet they are lying and really don't have an FSU wife.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Good points include fish eggs, fish with head and tail attached, river fish (carp), salty fish, and preserved salty fish.

Bad points include lots of exposure to the Russian community and loads of drama.

Vika tends to ignore the drama, but the fish....

Brad! Have you gone over to the dark side? Did she "flip" you? Fish is a good point? These clever Bolsheviks know how to persuade you. Be careful

Brad, put the fish down and step away!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I'm actually surprised at the prices at our local Russian market, they're quite reasonable. And the lady who owns it is really pleasant. The Russian book store in our area, on the other hand, is not only insanely priced, but the couple who owns it are just nasty. When Russian new year was coming up, I wanted to get a "С Новым годом" banner to surprise the wife. They didn't have any, and the woman acted like I had just insulted her personally by asking if they did. Then she tried to sell me a matryoshka. :lol:

"Russian new year"? would you care to explain?

Like I said...when someone's results are different than all the rest...

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

"Russian new year"? would you care to explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novi_God :rolleyes: I'm surprised you haven't heard about this, are you sure Alla's from the FSU? :P

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novi_God :rolleyes: I'm surprised you haven't heard about this, are you sure Alla's from the FSU? :P

I'm sure.

Is that where you get all your information on Ukraine? Wikipedia? :lol: About what I expected.

"Russian" new year is the same as our New Year. January 1. Orthodox Christmas is January 7 because the Orthodox church does not recognize the Georgian calendar. New Years is New Year's. Many people (most) there celebrate it more enthusiastically than we do and treat it like we do Christmas, give gifts, etc., because it more or less replaced Christmas during Soviet times (and still) but It is the same day as ours. In Ukraine and Russia it is not known or referred to as "Russian New Years" Anyone that ever lived there or had a spouse from there would never refer to it as "Russian New Year" :lol: It is just "new Years" It is not based on another calendar like Chinese or Vietnamese New Year. Good grief.

FWIW we continue to celebrate New Years and more or less ignore Christmas. Makes no difference to me and that's what Alla and the boys always did PLUS we get our gifts for 50% off by shopping after "Catholic" Christmas

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Brad! Have you gone over to the dark side? Did she "flip" you? Fish is a good point? These clever Bolsheviks know how to persuade you. Be careful

My fiance absolutely loooooves the fish :P

Especially when it's homemade.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sure.

Is that where you get all your information on Ukraine? Wikipedia? :lol: About what I expected.

"Russian" new year is the same as our New Year. January 1. Orthodox Christmas is January 7 because the Orthodox church does not recognize the Georgian calendar. New Years is New Year's. Many people (most) there celebrate it more enthusiastically than we do and treat it like we do Christmas, give gifts, etc., because it more or less replaced Christmas during Soviet times (and still) but It is the same day as ours. In Ukraine and Russia it is not known or referred to as "Russian New Years" Anyone that ever lived there or had a spouse from there would never refer to it as "Russian New Year" :lol: It is just "new Years" It is not based on another calendar like Chinese or Vietnamese New Year. Good grief.

FWIW we continue to celebrate New Years and more or less ignore Christmas. Makes no difference to me and that's what Alla and the boys always did PLUS we get our gifts for 50% off by shopping after "Catholic" Christmas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sure.

Ah, but there is also an 'orthodox new year' as well! Instead of 2 holidays those of us with FSU wives get 4 at that time of year! Dec 25, Jan 1, Jan 7, and Jan 14!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Ah, but there is also an 'orthodox new year' as well! Instead of 2 holidays those of us with FSU wives get 4 at that time of year! Dec 25, Jan 1, Jan 7, and Jan 14!

My FSU wife and I celebrate only Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. Then again she is not Orthodox.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Timeline

Ever been there on Orthodoa New Year? No one cares.

December 31/January 1 is the huge Holiday. We celebrated with waht we would call here a "progressive dinner" All our friends would meet at one persons home for cakes and tea about 4pm, the women cook, serve and clean and babble women talk, the men drink vodka and solve world problems. Then we all walk to another person's place for appetizers. The women cook, serve and clean and babble women talk and the men drink vodka, eat and solve wrold problems...a little more seriously. Then on to the next for dinner...then dessert :lol: The women have been drinking a bit also. Midnight is fireworks outside, since by them all the problems of the world have been forgotten. :lol: And I never drink alcohol, but it is great fun. Orthodox New Year isn't even noticed.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My FSU wife and I celebrate only Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. Then again she is not Orthodox.

Alla is Orthdox but not religious at all. December 25 means nothing to her and January 7 means little. January 1 is the big holiday.

She calls it "New Years" Summer and New Years are when we like to go to Ukraine. She hates to miss New Year's in Ukraine. SO far we have been able to do that except 2009 when I ruined everything by having bypass surgey in early December. :angry:

Gary And Alla

:rofl: Fish is a positive for Vika, not me.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.