james&olya

Moscow I-134 requirements.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Olya goes for her interview in Moscow on the 13th of May (Friday the 13th!!). We just now realized that even though I sent her all my latest financial information including 2010 tax return, w-2 forms, current pay stubs and bank statements I forgot to update the I-134 form itself. I signed one and took it with me when I went there last fall, hoping we would have a speedy NOA-2 but the date I signed it was October 2010. I saw on another forum that another consulate expects only that the form be signed within the last 12 months. Moscow does not necessarily even require the I-134 according to their web-site but the CO has the discretion to ask for one. My occupation and income puts me substantially above the income requirements for sponsoring these K-1/2 visas. Is their any substantial chance that a form signed in Oct 2010, along with past and very current documentation of income significantly above requirements, not be considered sufficient because the form itself was signed 6-7 months ago?

I wouldn't worry about it. If the consulate has a problem with the signature date, they'll go ahead and conduct the interview and ask for you to send a more current one. At the very worst, you're delayed a couple weeks. But I'd be surprised if it becomes an issue.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Scan a current signed version and email it to her.

What about letter from employer?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Scan a current signed version and email it to her.

What about letter from employer?

I hope they accept that from last October. My employment has not changed in 14 years and my still working there is proven by my w-2's, pay stubs, etc. I rather think we may be over-doing it, our I-134 folder will be pretty thick and my guess is that they won't ask for anything in it. I will send a new signed form by UPS just to be safe but I think it is over-kill, like nukeing a fly! :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about it. If the consulate has a problem with the signature date, they'll go ahead and conduct the interview and ask for you to send a more current one. At the very worst, you're delayed a couple weeks. But I'd be surprised if it becomes an issue.

Why take that risk rather than send a new one?

As Phil points out, it is really simple to scan and email an update, some updated check stubs, etc. Since they are most concerned about income rather than the date you signed what is basically a "cover letter" it would be most important to make sure she has updated proof of income.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I hope they accept that from last October. My employment has not changed in 14 years and my still working there is proven by my w-2's, pay stubs, etc. I rather think we may be over-doing it, our I-134 folder will be pretty thick and my guess is that they won't ask for anything in it. I will send a new signed form by UPS just to be safe but I think it is over-kill, like nukeing a fly! :lol:

I used the same employment letter for Alla's K-1 visa, for her AOS, for Sergey's K-2 10 months later and for Sergey's AOS nearly a year after the letter was written...but I included copies of recent check stubs in each to show I was still employed there.

Gary And Alla

I guess it depends on how much money you have to toss at it. If spending an extra $100 is worth the peace of mind then I agree, go for it. OTOH, if you don't mind taking the very tiny chance of having to wait a couple extra weeks to have your visa issued, then I say go with what you've got. :)

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

Why take that risk rather than send a new one?

As Phil points out, it is really simple to scan and email an update, some updated check stubs, etc. Since they are most concerned about income rather than the date you signed what is basically a "cover letter" it would be most important to make sure she has updated proof of income.

I agree with you on this. She has all my check stubs till 2 weeks ago going back to last July! Also bank statements every month from Jan 2010 and my 2010 tax return. I guess I will UPS a new signed I-134 but mainly for Olya's peace of mind. I cannot believe they would hold up a visa over that when we have so much proof of my ability and intention to support them. It would be nice if they would more clearly and definitively spell out the details for all these requirements and then stick to them on a consistent basis. I cannot help but wonder if a little bit of the russian governments approach to laws and regulations hasn't rubbed off on our government. Having ambiguous or even conflicting requirements allows them cover to deny visas to anyone when they don't want to disclose the real reasons. But I must say that my own experience so far has been quite positive with the process with the exception of having to wait 152 days between our NOA-1 and NOA-2. I will be much happier when they are here and we don't have to worry about bureaucratic hang-ups. Then any delays are nothing more than a nuisance as we will be together and since we don't need to depend on her finding a job right away.

Timeline

I guess it depends on how much money you have to toss at it. If spending an extra $100 is worth the peace of mind then I agree, go for it. OTOH, if you don't mind taking the very tiny chance of having to wait a couple extra weeks to have your visa issued, then I say go with what you've got. :)

Who pays $100 to scan and fax a few recent check stubs? Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The I-134 is not even a necessary document, it is a preprinted cover letter for the documents you attach to it, left blank for the most part. You can write yourown "affidavit of support" if you want to. His employment is the same as it was for 14 years. Just verify it with copies of check stubs.

Good grief. Has anyone here besides Phil even done this before?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I agree with you on this. She has all my check stubs till 2 weeks ago going back to last July! Also bank statements every month from Jan 2010 and my 2010 tax return. I guess I will UPS a new signed I-134 but mainly for Olya's peace of mind. I cannot believe they would hold up a visa over that when we have so much proof of my ability and intention to support them. It would be nice if they would more clearly and definitively spell out the details for all these requirements and then stick to them on a consistent basis. I cannot help but wonder if a little bit of the russian governments approach to laws and regulations hasn't rubbed off on our government. Having ambiguous or even conflicting requirements allows them cover to deny visas to anyone when they don't want to disclose the real reasons. But I must say that my own experience so far has been quite positive with the process with the exception of having to wait 152 days between our NOA-1 and NOA-2. I will be much happier when they are here and we don't have to worry about bureaucratic hang-ups. Then any delays are nothing more than a nuisance as we will be together and since we don't need to depend on her finding a job right away.

James I never suggested you spending a lot of money. Scan and email check stubs or a new I-134 if you want. No need to send a new original signature. No need for an original signature at all. The I-134 is an optional document, proving you can support her is what is required, not a pre-printed form. A scanned and emailed update is fine.

I never suggest taking chances when you can be sure for free.

Disclosure...

I am NOT an attorney. I DID successfully get a K-1 and two K-2s, AOS and RoC for all of them with no questions asked.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Lots of folks here think that the Moscow Embassy is some mysterious and out of this worldly place?????

Email them, they are nice folks. I don't know how many emails I sent to them before her first scheduled interview and then the need to reschedule it and verify that all the documents we needed were understood by us. They always answered every one of my questions with very proper answers.

Email the new 134 and stop thinking about it. If you have a legit relationship. all this other stuff is just stuff. It's not rocket science, really.

Timeline

Thanks Phil and Gary! If it were just me I would probably do nothing more than I have already. But since Olya is convinced based on talking with other women on a russian version of this forum that she must have a current I-134 signed within 1-2 months and it must be an original I will send it to her. Her happiness and peace of mind are well worth the money. Looked at this way it is a good investment! :)

Timeline

Well if they on that Russian forum know more about US migration than we do......?

Id put my foot down, be the man and tell her no, it's not needed but email a new version.

Timeline

Thanks Phil and Gary! If it were just me I would probably do nothing more than I have already. But since Olya is convinced based on talking with other women on a russian version of this forum that she must have a current I-134 signed within 1-2 months and it must be an original I will send it to her. Her happiness and peace of mind are well worth the money. Looked at this way it is a good investment! :)

Its OK. Alla was told by "someone" that she had to have some documents stating she owed no taxes to leave the country and she spent DAYS riding around n hot buses going from one office to another until she finally found someone at some office that gave her some document that said she owed no taxes (of course to produce it on short noice cost her a $20 bribe :lol: Imagine that) I was begging her each day to stop but she would not. Imagine my surprise when she never needed the document. :lol:

The period between her getting the visa and her arrival was the most stressful of all as she ran around trying to satisfy all the "rumors" she heard. I wished I could have locked her in the apartment, tied her up and gagged her.

(for the Canada/UK hall monitors that just choked on their plum pudding...I am joking)

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.