landp

Anyone consider moving to Morocco

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Salams all,

stressed and tired with work so taking a mental break. I can't help but think about living in Morocco. I love the country and the people, my husband would be estatic and I woudln't have to work so hard. My only concern, is making enough making there to pay off my student loans and credit cards here first or finding a job that would pay enough for use to live and pay our bills here....

anyone thought of this yet? I know there are so many benefits to living in the states but......

plus I dont' think I"ll ever have children living here, my career is too stressful and I swear the culture, at least where I live, is almost against it. For i.e. UNPAID maternity leave now....

that's insane.

just a thought....

salams,

prena

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Prena

I have thought about it... but my worries are not speaking the language, and worrying about if I could find a job... but, I do agree... Morocco is a beautiful country... and the people there treated me fabulously... I love it!

But, I wish YOU all the best!

*hugs*

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Timeline

yes, prena, i think abt it alot! some of my main reasons are the same as yours... debt payment! I have a new car that is now worth less than what i owe, so i would take a loss to sell it. I have to pay off credit cards and some loans and figure out what to do w/ all my *stuff*. One of the bigger things, tho, is my dogs... I don't know abt bringing them w/ me or how long they would have to be "quarantined" and what abt a yard, blah, blah, blah! the other issue is my parents... they would flip! i guess they would learn to deal, but it would be very difficult for them. i would definitely like to consider it for the future.

another thought is for Said's daughter... I think she will get a better education here in USA. It's a really hard call... I also don't speak enough of the languages to get by on my own and wonder how I would be able to hold a job.... Lots of things to consider and some days I just want to say f*@# it... and go! But I can't really do that - the responsible side of me takes over and I have to be accountable for my life..... fortunately, Said loves my dogs too, and he wants to move here. But he would be just as happy to have me there.

Don't know if that really got me anywhere - this roundabout thinking... i'm back at square one!

Noura :blink:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We talk about moving back a lot and I know that someday we will (maybe in 5 or 6 years). I want my son (he's 2) to grow up speaking English, Arabic and French (hopefully) and I know there are a few really good private schools in Marrakech. I'm not worried about a job or living there. For those of you who are worried about a job something you might consider is teaching English? As long as you have a 4 yr. Univ. Degree (any degree) you could get a job at the American Language Center (there are about 12 I think in Morocco). The pay is about 9000 dh a month. $900 a month is a lot there. They are generally looking for native English speakers. I've seen the school and a lot of the students are older teens to young adults and some older adults too. It's partially funded by the US State Dept. so it's reputable. Just a thought :)

Anywho we plan to go back someday and sometimes it seems like TODAY would be a great day to do it!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Amera,

while thats a great idea, still not enough. my son will be i college and i'll probably need to sned him about $500 or more a month, we would both need to be working and pulling in $900 a month....

I think about starting a business there, but don't know where to begin. Even a spa/workout salon for women to teach them how to take care of themselfes, but I dont' have a degree in health education, so I need to figure how to do that without being held liable. At the same time, a hair/barber shop. I just don't know. Need to to something though, to have kids here just seems impossible.

:-(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Prena - Wow I really like your spa/workout idea. One of my dreams is to open like a women's shelter in Marrakech for women and children. You see so many women with babies on the street and while some of them might be doing it because their husbands don't have a job I know (at least from what my husband says) that a lot of them got pregnant when they weren't married and their families kicked them out. I would love to open a shelter for them, so that they could finish school, and get some kind of training. There's more to it but that's sorta my little idea I'm running with! :)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You have no idea how many times a day I think and dream about this! The only thing keeping me from doing it is giving up a great paying job here in the US and I have legal payments I have to keep up for the next 4 years...I do not fluently speak Arabic or French and getting a job there for me would probably be hard due to the language barrier. However, there do seem to be quite a lot of openings for someone in my field in Casablanca.

If I knew I could work there with a good salary, make my current payments here in the US...I would so be there. NO KIDDING! It would be the ultimate solution to this immigration issue. Se ya...bye...bye US!

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Ali has been here for about 18 months, and we constantly think of moving back to Algeria or perhaps to Morocco.

The adjustment has not been as easy as I had hoped. Ali went from owning a construction company, he had a lot of respect in his community and in Algiers. Now here he is treated like he is stupid because his English isn't perfect ( it's his 4th language, how many Americans even know another language). He recently decided to give up his job and go back to college, he seems much happier.

We will probably move after my 13 year starts college. I'm just not up to the custody battle that would ensue if I tried to move with her to Algeria or Morocco. Personally I think it would be a wonderful experience for her. Our life here is so crazy and busy. I work about 50 to 60 hours a week and long for a more peaceful life, especially one in which people and family are more important than money, careers and bills.

Debi (Wyoming) & Ali (Algeria)

11/5/2003 - Fed Ex Petition to NSC (the great black hole)

11/14/2003 - Recieved petition back (after all the reviewing, I forgot to sign the actual petition, signed and sent it back the next day)

11/22/2003 - Recieved NOA 1 dated 11/18/03 - 150-180 days to process

3/23/2004 - Online status - APPROVED!!!!! 126 DAYS

3/31/2004 - NVC sent petition to embassy in Algeria

4/8/2004 - Embassy recieved petition

4/21/2004 - Ali recieved packet 3

5/31/2004 - Interview - approved

6/16/2004 - Visa issued, security check just took 2 weeks.

7/16/2004 - Ali arrived

9/4/2004 - Married

9/23/2004 - Filed AOS papers.

I will have to check the dates on everything, but Ali got his EAD, Advance Parole and Greencard without any problems.

Hi Debi,

nice to see you - haven't seen you before in the this forum.

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to be in a place where family was more important. The adjustment hasn't been easy for us either. My husband feels like 2nd rate because of his english - he's talkign ESL classes now and hopefully that will help.

In the meantime, Amera, we should get together about that shelter/spa for women. I would totally be into somthing like that and very serious... I'd sell my car and furniture in a heartbeat. I thought ti would be great to wait until my 13 year old is in college, but who knows, maybe he would go to a school in europe, which would be better than an american education anyways.

Timeline

Prena & Amera,

While I do not have a college degree, I am a licensed, trained, and experienced spa professional. I am trained as a therapist and educator in both Esthetics and Massage Therapy... I'm so there for your spa if/when it happens... let me know... :yes:

I currently own my own business and have a mostly thriving clientele. I have also thought of this idea as an option... don't know how easy it would be to do or to "sell" to the potential clients! I understand the wage would be much lower (ie: I charge $65/hr for massage, there's it's abt $15/hr). Just a thought to consider :whistle:

Noura

Let's go Morocco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

I understand your delima, I have been giving similar considerations about moving the the Philippines because I can't stand my manager. Only 5 more years of him! :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Amera and Prena,

I used to work in a Domestic Violence shelter, and have some training in Art Therapy with children. I have often wondered about doing similar work over there. Right now I'm a real estate appraiser and hate it, it just feels empty and meaningless, but the money is fairly good.

I actually checked into VJ today, as I was searching the internet for possible positions in some sort of NGO that works with women and children in North Africa. Thought if I started planning now I could finish my masters degree in Psych, Social work or Art Therapy by the time my daughter is ready for college.

Debi (Wyoming) & Ali (Algeria)

11/5/2003 - Fed Ex Petition to NSC (the great black hole)

11/14/2003 - Recieved petition back (after all the reviewing, I forgot to sign the actual petition, signed and sent it back the next day)

11/22/2003 - Recieved NOA 1 dated 11/18/03 - 150-180 days to process

3/23/2004 - Online status - APPROVED!!!!! 126 DAYS

3/31/2004 - NVC sent petition to embassy in Algeria

4/8/2004 - Embassy recieved petition

4/21/2004 - Ali recieved packet 3

5/31/2004 - Interview - approved

6/16/2004 - Visa issued, security check just took 2 weeks.

7/16/2004 - Ali arrived

9/4/2004 - Married

9/23/2004 - Filed AOS papers.

I will have to check the dates on everything, but Ali got his EAD, Advance Parole and Greencard without any problems.

Jasman - that too - 5 yrs and counting..

Deb, Amera, Noura - we need to meet up seriously. Is this really so hard to put together? I'm not looking to get rich, just live comfortably over seas and support my son (who is 13) when he goes to college). I wonder wear I could start looking for some time of grant - there's has to be something out there.

I have a home-based business and I could continue my work in Morocco. If my productivity was cut drastically due to the shabby internet connections, I imagine I could bring in 30,000 a year. However, to live in the standard I would want in Morocco would take a lot of money. The schools I have looked into for my daughter cost about $13,000 a year and there are none in Fes that I would consider sending my daughter to. If we were not living near to his family, I don't really know what the point would be.

Another thing is work for my husband. Abderrafie left a great job in Morocco and it would not be easy for him to find another. Work there is hard to come by. There is no way he would stand for me supporting him. If he is going to have to start over, he has a chance of going farther with his life here.

The real issue, however, is my daughter. While I think living there for a few years would be enriching, I cannot imagine uprooting her from her friends, father and my extended family for much longer. I love my family so much, and even though I am sure my parents would gladly spend part of each year in Morocco, it would be hard to be apart from them. They add so much to my life and my daughters.

We do hope to buy a small apartment in the near future, and maybe once we have a place of our own there, I will feel differently.

Abderrafie is doing great with the adjustment. If that changes, it might be something I have to rethink.

Rebecca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.