Major Kuma

a question regarding affidavits from two people know about our marriage

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The instruction of I-751 form lists affidavits from at least two people who know about our marriage as part of the evidence set that we need to submit. However, it doesn't say anything about the format of the affidavits. My guess would be there are no special forms for this. What would a typical affidavit look like? Also, who would be good to ask for the affidavits? Can my parents write one affidavit?

Also the instructions say that for the affidavit, the person needs to elaborate how they acquired the knowledge regarding our marriage. This is kind of odd. If I ask my friend to write this, can he say "I personally know the couple"? Would that be good enough? I guess I would like to see a sample. Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

some phrases

I was personally intreoduced to George and Sheila at a Church Mixer in 12 OCT 2009. We've since become fast friends, and I see them doing things together when I come to visit two times a week.

George is an old friend of mine, back from school days, and I met his wife at her welcome to USA party on 18 March 2009. They come to my house often to practice chinese cooking, my kitchen is huge.

---

on the affadavit, the id phrasing goes like this:

My name is George Jetson, born on 01/12/1955, SSN 223.22.1123, Driver's license # 23002--233299, and I reside at 123 Sprockets Way, Space City, CA 92232.

---

I've got examples buried somewhere, but I'm not at my data center today..

----

In genERAL, THOUGH, there is some example affadavit for the I-130 floating around, you can use that same format, no problems.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

The instruction of I-751 form lists affidavits from at least two people who know about our marriage as part of the evidence set that we need to submit.

That is nonsense.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
That is nonsense.
It's not "nonsense"; it's simply a suggestion for applicants who lack other strong evidence. A very sharp immigration attorney confirmed this with me not long ago.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

thanks Darnell. this helps. If you happen to have found the example, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me.

some phrases

I was personally intreoduced to George and Sheila at a Church Mixer in 12 OCT 2009. We've since become fast friends, and I see them doing things together when I come to visit two times a week.

George is an old friend of mine, back from school days, and I met his wife at her welcome to USA party on 18 March 2009. They come to my house often to practice chinese cooking, my kitchen is huge.

---

on the affadavit, the id phrasing goes like this:

My name is George Jetson, born on 01/12/1955, SSN 223.22.1123, Driver's license # 23002--233299, and I reside at 123 Sprockets Way, Space City, CA 92232.

---

I've got examples buried somewhere, but I'm not at my data center today..

----

In genERAL, THOUGH, there is some example affadavit for the I-130 floating around, you can use that same format, no problems.

this is not nonsense. if you are careful enough to have read the instruction for i-175, you would see this listed as #5 on the evidence list. I am not even sure if this is just a "suggestion". It sounds like something mandatory.

That is nonsense.

Filed: Other Timeline

It's not "nonsense"; it's simply a suggestion for applicants who lack other strong evidence. A very sharp immigration attorney confirmed this with me not long ago.

This statement:

The instruction of I-751 form lists affidavits from at least two people who know about our marriage as part of the evidence set that we need to submit.

is false. It is a false statement. Thus, it is a non-sensical statement. It is nonsense.

There is no requirement to send any affidavits. More to the point, sending affidavits makes only sense for people who are in a fraudulent marriage and/or have no or almost no other support. Play semantic games all you want, but it won't change the facts.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

If you have such a thin pile of evidence that you have to have neighbors, friends, and family write down "I, John Doe, hereby swear that I seen them together and/or heard that they were married" as your evidence then you are screwed...

This is the type of evidence you should have if you really are living together and married

Shared bank accounts

Shared tax returns

Check stubs that show a shared address

Mail that shows a shared address

Identification that shows a shared address

Joint credit card statements

A couple pictures and a travel itinerary within the last 18 months

Utility bills

Joint mortgages

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Below is the excerpt from the I-175 instruction:

Evidence of the Relationship

Submit copies of documents indicating that the marriage upon which you were granted conditional status was entered in "good" faith" and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. Submit copies of as many documents as you wish to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date... The documents should cover, but not limited to, the following examples:

1. Birth certificates ...
2. Lease or mortgage contracts ...
3. Financial records showing joint ownership ...
4. Other documents ...
5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship...

now, please tell me where does it say this is a last-bet evidence for the lack of other evidences???

Timeline

i wonder who is playing "semantic games" here, bob. if you cannot say something in a nice way, you can at least learn how to STFU.

This statement:

is false. It is a false statement. Thus, it is a non-sensical statement. It is nonsense.

There is no requirement to send any affidavits. More to the point, sending affidavits makes only sense for people who are in a fraudulent marriage and/or have no or almost no other support. Play semantic games all you want, but it won't change the facts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

i wonder who is playing "semantic games" here, bob. if you cannot say something in a nice way, you can at least learn how to STFU.

I have to agree with Bob, Sworn Affidavits from people to confirm a valid marriage is a suggestion not a requirement, and most members here with legit relationship doesn't even bother with them including us. We don't need affidavits from friends to confirm the validity of our marriage.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

thank you katie. what you explained makes sense. the way bob expresses himself is quite troublesome.

I have to agree with Bob, Sworn Affidavits from people to confirm a valid marriage is a suggestion not a requirement, and most members here with legit relationship doesn't even bother with them including us. We don't need affidavits from friends to confirm the validity of our marriage.

Timeline

oh, I agree. it is just the I175 instruction wasn't very clear, and made me think that this affidavit is required. and I was actually thinking maybe i should ask the peeping tom to write the affidavit stating that many nights he saw us together doing stuff that a married couple would do through a power telescope, and it would be more convincing than asking my friends. good to know that i dont have to do this now.

If you have such a thin pile of evidence that you have to have neighbors, friends, and family write down "I, John Doe, hereby swear that I seen them together and/or heard that they were married" as your evidence then you are screwed...

This is the type of evidence you should have if you really are living together and married

Shared bank accounts

Shared tax returns

Check stubs that show a shared address

Mail that shows a shared address

Identification that shows a shared address

Joint credit card statements

A couple pictures and a travel itinerary within the last 18 months

Utility bills

Joint mortgages

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Mostly, the evidence pile on a ROC case deals with financial co-mingling - such things as

--joint bank accounts

--joint tax returns

--utilities in both names

--rental agreement in both names

--house deed in both names

IMO, the affadavit portion is optional, not required.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks Darnell. In that case, I believe we do have enough in the pile to not bother with the affidavit, especially it unreasonably asks whoever to write it to give out personal information such as date of birth, SSN.

Mostly, the evidence pile on a ROC case deals with financial co-mingling - such things as

--joint bank accounts

--joint tax returns

--utilities in both names

--rental agreement in both names

--house deed in both names

IMO, the affadavit portion is optional, not required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.