gsxra

Interview - English/Chinese - China

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So we have been going down the path of getting a K1 visa and we are close to getting the interview date set, assuming mid May 2011. My fiancé can communicate just fine with friends, my family, and myself just fine in English. However, we know that her vocabulary is limited so we know the correct word to use, or know how to re-phrase the question such that she knows what is going on. My concern is the interviewee will not do this. I have read on day 1 of the process in Guangzhou she is asked what langauge she should take the interview in. What it be a good idea to tell the consulate she will have no problem answering the questions in English but may have a hard time understanding the questions because of a limited vocabulary? This way the interviewee may rephrase or ask in Chinese.

Any advice would be great.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She will be asked by VO (American) what language she would like to speak at interview.

My advice is

1) Choose to speak in English. This automatically provides evidences and proofs that you two can communicate in English without problems. Otherwise VO will question your relationship, unless you had provided evidences that you two communicate in Chinese.

2) Do not voluntarily provide additional information. For example, like you said "what it be a good idea to tell the consulate she will have no problem answering the questions in English but may have a hard time understanding the questions because of a limited vocabulary." It would not have a positive impact on your fiancés interview. When she speaks in English, VO will know how her English is.

3) Not afraid to ask VO repeat questions if your fiancé does not hear/understand clearly. Most questions are simple and easy-understood. But because VO types while she/he makes questions, sometimes she/he moves away from microphone when she/he asks questions. So just let VO say it again. If VO realizes your fiancé still does not get the question, VO probably will re-phrase or say it in Chinese.

4) Keep answers short and simple.

Edited by xiaozhu

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

She will be asked by VO (American) what language she would like to speak at interview.

My advice is

1) Choose to speak in English. This automatically provides evidences and proofs that you two can communicate in English without problems. Otherwise VO will question your relationship, unless you had provided evidences that you two communicate in Chinese.

2) Do not voluntarily provide additional information. For example, like you said "what it be a good idea to tell the consulate she will have no problem answering the questions in English but may have a hard time understanding the questions because of a limited vocabulary." It would not have a positive impact on your fiancé’s interview. When she speaks in English, VO will know how her English is.

3) Not afraid to ask VO repeat questions if your fiancé does not hear/understand clearly. Most questions are simple and easy-understood. But because VO types while she/he makes questions, sometimes she/he moves away from microphone when she/he asks questions. So just let VO say it again. If VO realizes your fiancé still does not get the question, VO probably will re-phrase or say it in Chinese.

That is good advice.

The way I approached this was to have my wife practice possible interview questions for a couple of months before the interview.

I also had some friends (male and female) ask her the questions so she could get used to different voices and accents.

Finally I taught her to listen to key words in a question.

Good Luck

Edited by Sam and Fen

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My advice is

2) Do not voluntarily provide additional information. For example, like you said "what it be a good idea to tell the consulate she will have no problem answering the questions in English but may have a hard time understanding the questions because of a limited vocabulary." It would not have a positive impact on your fiancé’s interview. When she speaks in English, VO will know how her English is.

I prefer the beneficiary answer, "I do speak some English but I will understand you better if we do the interview in Mandarin." Makes the interview more smooth and provides the opportunity to demonstrate skill with English, as needed. Also minimizes the potential for misunderstandings.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I prefer the beneficiary answer, "I do speak some English but I will understand you better if we do the interview in Mandarin." Makes the interview more smooth and provides the opportunity to demonstrate skill with English, as needed. Also minimizes the potential for misunderstandings.

I doubt

1) Whether VOs can express their questions and understand answers in Mandarin as good as they do in English. This way puts VO on the grill rather than visa applicants. I saw many VOs need extra help from Chinese staff when the interviewee can not speak English. Almost all such interviewees are elder parents.

2) If like that, it would be good for chinese applicants, and we only need to learn one English sentence. :thumbs:

Just my thoughts.

Edited by xiaozhu

Timeline

I doubt

1) Whether VOs can express their questions and understand answers in Mandarin as good as they do in English. This way puts VO on the grill rather than visa applicants. I saw many VOs need extra help from Chinese staff when the interviewee can not speak English. Almost all such interviewees are elder parents.

2) If like that, it would be good for chinese applicants, and we only need to learn one English sentence. :thumbs:

Just my thoughts.

Nevertheless, the key language issue is about how the couple communicates. "Elder parents" would be interviewing for visitor visas with the nonimmigrant visa unit. My suggestion is aimed at those interviewing for spouse or fiancee visas, with the immigrant visa unit. Those Consular Officers routinely conduct interviews in Chinese but are usually more competent in Mandarin than Cantonese or local dialects.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Nevertheless, the key language issue is about how the couple communicates. "Elder parents" would be interviewing for visitor visas with the nonimmigrant visa unit. My suggestion is aimed at those interviewing for spouse or fiancee visas, with the immigrant visa unit. Those Consular Officers routinely conduct interviews in Chinese but are usually more competent in Mandarin than Cantonese or local dialects.

What I mentioned "Elder parents" were for immigration visa not visitor visas. At my interview, I saw that about 50% beneficiaries are elder parents, which really surprised me!

Actually now I am curious to know, did your wife say what you suggested to VO at her interview? If did, what did VO react? Was it helpful?

Certainly if a couple communicate in Chinese in their life, I have no question about whether she wants to be interviewed in Chinese.

The first question VO asked me is "Do you speak English?" I said "Yes". I can see a big release and happy on her face.

** Topic has been in K-1 Process/Procedures for a little while now but may be more appropriate/helpful to those at the Interview/Embassy stage - will move thread to US Embassy/Consulate Discussion.

Edited by Otto

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So we have been going down the path of getting a K1 visa and we are close to getting the interview date set, assuming mid May 2011. My fiancé can communicate just fine with friends, my family, and myself just fine in English. However, we know that her vocabulary is limited so we know the correct word to use, or know how to re-phrase the question such that she knows what is going on. My concern is the interviewee will not do this. I have read on day 1 of the process in Guangzhou she is asked what langauge she should take the interview in. What it be a good idea to tell the consulate she will have no problem answering the questions in English but may have a hard time understanding the questions because of a limited vocabulary? This way the interviewee may rephrase or ask in Chinese.

Any advice would be great.

Rather than give advise or make a recommendation I will only explain what happened at my wife's interview. My wife says the interviewer was a younger American male (younger being relative as my wife was 54 at the time). He first went over the I-134 and asked her a few questions about that. My wife had a difficult time understanding him and asked him if he would please conduct the interview in Chinese. He then began speaking Chinese, but my wife said his Chinese was worse than her English (her opinion) so she asked for someone else to conduct the interview. A Chinese woman came in to help conduct the interview. When asked for evidence of an on going relationship my wife presented about 15 emails and 15 print outs from Yahoo Messenger chats that represented steps in our relationship. These were presented with a cover letter briefly explaining the content of each print out. All the email and chats were in English so it was obvious to him that we were able to communicate with each other in English. My wife brought print outs of the other 400 or so emails and Yahoo Messenger chats just to show how often we communicated but he did not ask for these. We had other information also, but he never asked for it. He was satisfied that the content of the print outs were proof an on going relationship and approved my fiancee.

Edited by SWA2

10-17-2006. I-129F filed.

10-19-2006. NOA1

01-25-2007. NOA2

02-12-2007. NVC notification saying petition is approved.

05-11-2007. Packet 3 received.

05-14-2007. Packet 3 forms sent.

06-16-2007. Packet 4 received.

07-03-2007. Medical examination.

07-10-2007. Interview. Passed!!!!

07-12-2007. Received visa.

07-18-2007. Applied for Marriage License.

08-04-2007. Fan arrives in the United States.

08-08-2007. Married.

08-24-2007. Applications for AOS, EAD, and Advance Parole.

08-30-2007. NOA for AOS.

09-07-2007. Applied for SSN.

09-18-2007. NOA for EAD and Advance Parole.

09-20-2007. Received SS card.

10-05-2007. Received appointment date for biometrics.

10-23-2007. Received Advance Parole.

11-02-2007. Biometrics.

11-06-2007. AOS transfered to CSC.

11-07-2007. EAD approved.

11-16-2007. EAD card received.

12-06-2007. AOS approved.

12-14-2007. Green Card Received in mail.

09-05-2009. I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence sent.

09-16-2009. NOA and biometrics appointment received.

10-13-2009. Biometrics.

10-26-2009. USCIS email. Approved. Card production ordered.

10-29-2009. Approval notice, dated 10-26, arrives in mail.

11-02-2009. Green Card arrives in mail.

Timeline

What I mentioned "Elder parents" were for immigration visa not visitor visas. At my interview, I saw that about 50% beneficiaries are elder parents, which really surprised me!

Actually now I am curious to know, did your wife say what you suggested to VO at her interview? If did, what did VO react? Was it helpful?

Certainly if a couple communicate in Chinese in their life, I have no question about whether she wants to be interviewed in Chinese.

The first question VO asked me is "Do you speak English?" I said "Yes". I can see a big release and happy on her face.

My experience is not limited to my wife's interview but no, although she was prepared to say exactly that, not one word of English was spoken in my wife's interview. She was prepared to greet the CO in English but he greeted her first. She was asked if she spoke English and answered, "a little" then was asked if I spoke Mandarin and answered, "a little". I know of others who have had a much harder time including one friend who SAID she could speak English and then was asked to actually do so. She froze and couldn't remember a thing, due to stress. My advice based on extensive experience with the GUZ Consulate (unless the beneficiary is fluent in English) is to have the beneficiary prepared to say, in English, "I speak a little English, but I will understand you better if we speak Mandarin" (Or Cantonese, as the case may be.)

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.