Jersey Girl

Getting an RRSP out of Canada

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a dual citizen. While living in Canada, I built a self-directed RRSP at E*Trade Canada. I thought I had a plan for getting it out after moving to the States. I read "The Border Guide" and moved everything to cash and money market funds to avoid capital gains tax down the road.

Then, I sold my house in Toronto and moved back to the U.S. I cut ties to Canada: OHIP, driver's license, credit cards, etc. My Canadian boyfriend visited NJ, we married, and he went back to Toronto to wait for his K3.

I thought I was a U.S. resident for tax purposes. But according to Mark Serbinski, the marriage makes me liable for Canadian income tax in 2006, even though I never set foot in Canada and cut ties. News to me. He also said if I take funds from the RRSP, it will be taxed on both sides of the border. Also news to me.

I called Keats Connelly for a second opinion and was told what I originally thought: non-residents of Canada can withdraw at 25% withholding tax. Being married to a Canadian living in Toronto does not change my status.

I tell this because Serbinski is often mentioned on this site and is very good for doing U.S. and Canadian returns. But for RRSPs, you might want to add this contact to your resources:

KEATS, CONNELLY, Phoenix, AZ

www.keatsconnelly.com

Claudia Freeman, CFP® (US) and CFP™ (Canada)

claudiaf@keatsconnelly.com

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info. I recently took out my RRSP's!! Feel rich until tax time, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Feel rich until tax time
What's THAT supposed to mean? Are you anticipating more tax on top of the withholding?

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline

Shouldn't be!! But to be honest I havent looked much into it!! My RRSP's were making pretty much zilch, so I decided to take them out and reinvest here. Part of it was my fault, BUT TD waterhouse was suppose to gather al lmy RRSP, and put it into 1 type of rrsp, they were just awaiting my Canadian Armed Forces return of contributions. Long story short, they never did and I didnt stay on top of it!! So was my fault as well. Might have been a good thing as a lot of RRSP's took a hit! Oh well, luckily my wife is the $$$ expert, she looks after all the financial stuff. As well I figured it was a good time to take them out as I am a student with no income. But shouldn't the USA try to tax me on the RRSP withdrawal? I wil have to report it come April I assume.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You will have to report the RRSP withdrawl as income. However, you can

1) Claim the 25% witholding as a foreign tax credit with the IRS

2) File a Section 217 return with the CCRA to get a portion of the 25% back.

So you should get a big chunk of what they took back...

Beware, you can only take a portion of the 25% as a foreign tax credit each year, depending on your income and deductions.. so it may be worthwhile if you do take out your RRSP, to figure out the maximum foreign tax credit that you can get and then take out only that amount in yearly increments.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

When I callled E*Trade Canada and asked to have my RRSP statements sent to the U.S., all hell broke loose. They will not deal with anyone with a permanent U.S. address and recommended I collaspe the account right away.

I tried transferring it to TD Waterhouse Canada, but they also refused since I'm a non-resident of Canada. So leaving everything there and withdrawing in increments wasn't an option, especially since small withdrawals could go on for years.

I'm a dual, but they don't seem to see me as a Canadian living in the States, and someone who maintains an RRSP in Canada. They seem to see me as an American, living in the U.S. and not eligible to have an RRSP.

I sent my de-registration forms today and am withdrawing the entire (hefty) sum. My U.S. tax rate this year should be low, since I will have only worked 4 months. But the amount of the RRSP withdrawal will push me into the stratosphere of tax brackets. It will be considered investment income by Uncle Sam and the foreign tax credit does me no good, since I'll have no foreign-source income to apply it to. Evidently, that's how it works.

I get grey hairs every time I think about this...

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

touched April 4

Interview July 16

To clarify with a possibly silly question... what if I just leave it there to grow, never withdrawing until retirement? Any US paperwork I'll have to file?

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Yep you can leave it in there. inform your financial institution that your no longer a Cdn resident. They will get you to fill out a W9. As well when you fil lout your USA taxes, you fill out form 8891. lots of info on that on http://forums.serbinski.com/index.php?sid=...9e0066bcbee3f79

Should be a whol etopic with many pages on form 8891

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.