soundtweakers

Post interview, waiting for decision in mail

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I had my naturalization interview on Jan. 19, 2011 in the New York City office. My appointment was scheduled for 1:30pm and I was interviewed at 4:45pm toward the end of the day. The USCIS officer rushed through my N-400 form, rushed through the civil/writting/reading exams. The only document he wanted to see was my passport, and the only thing he took the time on was making me re-do my signatures to match my passport. At the end he congratulated me on passing the exam and explained to me that decision can not be made because it's late in the day but I should receive the decision in the mail in a few weeks. He handed me a piece of paper stating I passed the exam and I should be expecting a decision in the mail within 120 days, and I can write them a letter if I don't hear from them after 120 days. The whole interview process took less than 10 min.

I've been checking my mailbox religiously for the past almost three months, and I haven't receive anything from them. Generally how long does it take for them to make the decision after interview in New York City. I've read elsewhere in the forum that folks in CA and WA and some other States get their oath notification within 2 weeks. I'm a bit concerned about my status and was wondering if I should send them the status request letter before the 120 days(which is coming up fast).

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sounds like my wifes' identical problem, her IO misplaced her application, but she received congratulations and is awaiting final approval she never got because that IO's supervisor never returned her application. Stepdaughter got a decision cannot be made. But she got a letter shortly after to provide court orders as to why she had battery charges against her when she was 17 months old.

Our senators offices quickly took care of both this issues. They claim if you have questions, write a letter to your IO, you will be far better off to send a letter to the North Pole and ask Santa for a new train for Christmas.

Would contact your senators office, each state has two senators, in my state, Ron Johnson is worthless, too busy trying to honor Reagan and doesn't even have an immigration department. While Dave Obey, our congressman is a personal friend, was worthless also, too busy with the war one year, running for reelection the second. Least a senator runs for a six year term. With Feigngold, got an e-mail two hours later with my wifes' oath ceremony letter attached, had special ceremony for her in three days. With my stepdaughter, accused of battery charges when she was 17 months old, got her oath letter three days later, but she had to wait two weeks.

A friend living in Illinois had Obama running for president, he and his staff where nowhere to be found, she didn't want to take the USCIS to court, but she got her oath letter some 15 months later. She even made a special trip to Chicago to bring in a joint utility bill they wanted that is not even covered as a form of evidence, but did have all the tax returns and joint ownership of a home. It was here experience that led me to go to our electrical company, the only utility company left in town to add my wife to our bill. They don't give a damn about that, could have added Bush's wife to my bill. But my wife a couple of years ago even with tons of evidence was asked to see that worthless piece of evidence. Surprise! I would have loved to taken the USCIS to court on the issue, but just wanted to be prepared.

Now it seems the bug up the USCIS is now, a decision cannot be made. Always something and depends upon your luck in not getting a hardbutt IO. We were very unlucky in on this issue. But they don't like fooling around with your senator.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We're dealing with the same problem - just waiting and waiting. The difference is that everything got all screwed up before the interview. We sent the package 11 months ago, and he was scheduled for his interview at the beginning of November. At the last minute, it was cancelled because they didn't have his file! It seems no one ever bothered to order it. We waited for the interview to be rescheduled, then went for an INFOpass in January. He got his interview (finally) rescheduled for February. At the interview, the IO told him he passed, but he had to re-do his biometrics. Because of the screw-up, they were 'expired'. The IO said as soon as the fingerprints processed, he'd get his oath letter. He went that day, immediately after the interview, but we're still waiting for a letter. It's annoying - it's been almost a year since we sent the application, we did everything right, he passed everything, and he's still not a citizen because of someone failing to order his file for the interview. It seems that no one wants to do anything for some reason - we have to keep calling, and I think he's going to have to make another INFOpass. It's like we're having to force this process forward little by little. I wouldn't mind waiting the full 120 days for the letter if he had his interview in a more timely manner. If they had kept his first interview, he would've been a citizen by now.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.