Dave H

Changing my Surname

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been wondering if it is at all possible to change my surname (male UKC) to my American fiancee's name. This may sound strange and unusual but I want to do this as she has a wonderful family and want to be part of it 100%. I haven't mentioned it to my fiancee, but need to know how to do it. I fly over from U.K next week and marry on May 21st and was wanting to know if I needed to apply before we marry or after.

Many Thanks

Dave :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Of course it is possible.

Marriage licences in some states have "New Names" sections where you state what last name you want to use after marriage. After marriage, just simply use marriage certificate to prove name change and when you apply for new documents, AOS, etc.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Marriage licences in some states have "New Names" sections where you state what last name you want to use after marriage. After marriage, just simply use marriage certificate to prove name change and when you apply for new documents, AOS, etc.

Thank you so much

Will I have to send off my current passport, as this is registered in my original name in U.K.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thank you so much

Will I have to send off my current passport, as this is registered in my original name in U.K.

Thanks

You can also keep both names . It's only a matter of adding one and deciding which will be the surname.. Which helps in the future on documents

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

You can also keep both names . It's only a matter of adding one and deciding which will be the surname.. Which helps in the future on documents

Thanks for the reply, That's brilliant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know its darn easy for a woman to change her maiden to her married name, and the marriage certificate is the only proof you need. Even the USCIS does this with no problem as does SS, DMV, and just about any other agency. But have zero experience if a guy changes his name to his wifes' name. Know that anyone can change their name in a court of law, but not even sure if you have to be a US citizen first. Something else to look into.

Something you could probably do a lot quicker in your home country, but you better hang unto that court order like its solid gold. Will need that for the three stages at the USCIS.

May be question if you apply for your marriage license here, are you marrying your sister? LOL, shouldn't have that problem if getting married in redneck country. But is a possibility.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the reply, That's brilliant

I recommend keeping both myself .. Which for your children may be a big plus.. My mother came from Ireland But I grew up in the states.. And I have some painful memories as a child. being. told I was not Irish by other kids because of not having Irish surname

Edited by Ironman140

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

I recommend keeping both myself .. Which for your children may be a big plus.. My mother came from Ireland But I grew up in the states.. And I have some painful memories as a child. being. told I was not Irish by other kids because of not having Irish surname

Cheers,

Not planning on children, as we are both well into our 40's lol.

I think having both names would be the best way to go, and have her surname as mine too, double barrelled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.