Captain Hammer

50th anniversary of manned space flight today

14 posts in this topic

146084main_yurig_516.jpg

April 12 was already a huge day in space history twenty years before the launch of the first shuttle mission. On that day in 1961, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin (left, on the way to the launch pad) became the first human in space, making a 108-minute orbital flight in his Vostok 1 spacecraft. Newspapers like The Huntsville Times (right) trumpeted Gagarin's accomplishment.

Mercury astronaut Alan Shepard became the first American in space less than a month later.

Scientific cooperation with the Soviet Union dates back to the very beginnings of space flight. The first cooperative human space flight project between the United States and the Soviet Union took place in 1975. The Apollo-Soyuz Test Project was designed to test the compatibility of rendezvous and docking systems for American and Soviet spacecraft and to open the way for future joint manned flights.

Since 1993, the U.S. and Russia have worked together on a number of other space flight projects. The Space Shuttle began visiting the Russian Mir space station in 1994, and in 1995 Norm Thagard became the first U.S. astronaut to take up residency on Mir. Seven U.S. astronauts served with their Russian counterparts aboard the orbiting Mir laboratory from 1995 to 1998. The experience gained from the Mir cooperative effort, as well as lessons learned, paved the way for the International Space Station.

In-orbit construction on the Station began in November 1998, and it has been staffed non-stop with international crews since November 2000. The first Station crew, made up of U.S. commander Bill Shepherd and cosmonauts Yuri Gidzenko and Sergei Krikalev, was launched on board a Russian Soyuz spacecraft. The crew returned to Earth on the Space Shuttle Discovery in March 2001.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/sts1/gagarin_anniversary.html

The Google doodle today is pretty cool too. :)

Edited by Captain Hammer

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Commies!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The Google doodle today is pretty cool too. :)

I liked it too :)

I'm glad that something good was finally all over the news today :)

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I liked it too :)

I'm glad that something good was finally all over the news today :)

Heh! Yeah, the news cycle has been pretty depressing for the last month or so, for sure.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

You guys still watch the news?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Commies!

At MFTI they say that the Russians would have gone to the moon first if the American's hadn't faked it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I stopped watching local news around the late 90s. By-in-large it's pointless, ratings-based drivel. It sounds a bit cliché to say that, and maybe I only thought that because I was a typical early 20s punk kid at the time. But the stance stuck; mostly because the Internet developed around that time. http://my.yahoo.com was my homepage for ... like a decade; now it's iGoogle. I have it setup to display local/national news and whatnot. I don't need the local news. Being able to find news that is interesting/important to me, right now, made the nightly news absolutely pointless.

On a side note, Twitter is fascinating for breaking news. A lot of unreliable information comes from it; but the near instant reporting and feedback on many news stories is really really interesting.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You guys still watch the news?

Euronews channel is one of my favourites. It helped me score 85% in my Current Affairs class.

Actually the only things I watch is news and sports. I have the internet for everything else.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

I can't stand all the stupid on American 24 hour cable news. It drives me crazy.

:lol:

I knew it was a mistake to go to 24 hour news. Then there was not one, not two, but about 4 stations doing it. Sorry, but in the WHOLE WORLD there is not that must news worth watching! Even when there is an earthquake and Tsunami in Japan. It is worse than expansion team hockey! But where else was Sean Hannity going to get a job?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I can't stand all the stupid on American 24 hour cable news. It drives me crazy.

Yep sky news and much of the drivel / propaganda that pass for news around the world is much better. I expecaily like the strip tease news station out of eastern Europe

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Timeline

Yep sky news and much of the drivel / propaganda that pass for news around the world is much better. I expecaily like the strip tease news station out of eastern Europe

There's an idea. If they ever start that here, FOX would win, no contest.

Wait. What? Greta Van Sustern? NM

Gary And Alla

Cable "news" is a lost cause. Sadly, there really are very few actual news outlets left in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.