sridhy_ny

IR-1 : Port of Entry questions at JFK Airport

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi, My wife got her IR-1 visa on Dec 8th, 2010 and it will expire on May 18th, 2011. So, me, mywife and daughter, we are planning to leave India

on April 30th, 2011. I would like to know what kind of documents my wife has to carry ? Me and my daughter, we are both US Citizens and holding US Passports as well as OCI cards. So, I don't think we will face any questions. Just would like to know what they will ask my wife at JFK airport part of IR-1 screening....Any suggestions please?

My wife's passport shows IR-1 visa stamp and MUmbai US Embassy handed over a sealed envelope and we haven't opened that as it says do not open.

Please share your experiences. Accordinly, I will give a brief introduction to my wife so that she won't get confuse on port of entry.

In addition, do I need to carry the X-Ray with us ? and any other medical documents ?

Thanks

SY

Edited by sridhy_ny

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Passport and the envelope. I carried my x-ray but it wasn't asked for. It is now gathering dust in the closet.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here's the link to my POE experience. Hope it helps.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/258076-my-poe-experience/page__hl__ord

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Passport and the envelope. I carried my x-ray but it wasn't asked for. It is now gathering dust in the closet.

Thanks for prompt response. So, it seems no need to worry that much then.

By the way, do you know howlong it will take her to finish her interview at port of entry in the special room ?

thx

Sri

They shouldn't really ask any questions, because all the information is in the envelope and the job of the people at POE is really just to process her: take fingerprints and shuffle some paperwork. However, there are no guarantees, it's possible she comes up against someone who wants to ask lots of questions. Hopefully you can accompany her up to the window (whether you both go the citizen line or the visitor line) so that she is not alone for most of the time.

Timewise, again impossible to say. It could only take the time it takes to take the fingerprints. Or she could have to wait for an hour because everyone is eating their lunch and the one person working is busy interviewing other people.

What I can say is that (assuming you are not actually secret criminals who have been hiding this the whole time) it is not something to be worried about at all.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for prompt response. So, it seems no need to worry that much then.

By the way, do you know howlong it will take her to finish her interview at port of entry in the special room ?

thx

Sri

Sri

I went through JFK POE with my wife, we both went through US Citizen line.

I gave the officer my US Passport and then hand-in my wife's passport and sealed envelope.

He took care of my entry, took my wife picture (I think administered oath too, don't remember), finger prints and opened(ripped) the yellow envelope.

He gave the folder and told me to see that officer in farther corner, we both went to him (I was kind of looking at the papers, it has everything, petition, nvc file and everything... I did not check it or went through it but I can see from top lot of things).

I reached the officer, he told me to go to AREA 4, where they took my wife papers/made her sign a sheet and told that WELCOME and you will get you GC in 4-6 weeks (no separate room interview in JFK).

That's it... we went to collect the baggage, through customs and out in less than 2 hours (only big wait was clearing immigration).

I hope it helps.

Edited by Deep2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.