Bandage Girl

I-134 in London

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

From the embassy in London http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html :

"Affidavit of Support

Persons in the U.S. who wish to furnish sponsorship of a fiancee or Kii visa applicant in the form of an affidavit of support should use form I-134 which is available from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Sponsors may also elect to furnish a statement in the form of an affidavit sworn to before a notary public or other official competent to administer an oath, setting forth his or her willingness and financial ability to contribute to the applicant's support and reasons, in detail, for sponsoring the applicant."

My best friend is co-sponsoring my fiance. Does the above mean she could write and sign a notarized affidavit with the above info and include support (tax returns & employer letter or bank statement) instead of filling out the whole I-134 which is quite invasive?

The Story So Far:

Sep 2009 - Met at University in UK

Apr 1 2011 - Engaged!

Apr 18 2011 - Sent I-129F...hoping for the best.

Apr 29 2011 - NOA 1 - California Service Center

Jul 14 2011 - NOA 2 (76 days after NOA 1)

event.png

Yes, a write-your-own affidavit is acceptable to London, but it must include the key elements they list following the part you quoted. It seems equally "invasive" and a heck of a lot harder to get it right when there's a simple form with tick boxes and blanks to fill in. If she can follow those bullet points with the proper wording, plus the statement of how her citizenship was acquired, then that will be accepted. If it is a privacy concern, she doesn't have to turn the form over to you or your fiance. She can send it directly to the IV unit in London marked clearly with both of your names, birthdates, and LND case number for proper placement with the applicant's file.

The affidavit should include:

• information regarding his or her annual income;
  • where material, information regarding his or her other resources;
  • obligations for the support of members of his is or her own family and other persons, if any;
  • other obligations and expenses;
  • plans and arrangements made for the applicant's reception and support;
  • an expression of willingness to deposit a bond, if necessary, with the USCIS to guarantee that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States; and
  • an acknowledgment that the sponsor is aware of his or her responsibilities under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended, that the affidavit will be binding upon the sponsor for three years after entry of the named persons; and that the affidavit and supporting documentation may be made available to a public assistance agency. (The provisions of the above laws are contained in form DS-1858, Sponsor's Financial Responsibility Under the Social Security Act, and printed in Part III of the instructions for Form I-134).

The sponsor should include in the affidavit a statement concerning his or her status in the U.S. If the sponsor is an American citizen the affidavit should include a statement about how U.S. citizenship was acquired. If naturalized, the affidavit should indicate the date of naturalization, the name and location of the court, and the number of the sponsor's certificate of naturalization. If the sponsor is an alien who has been lawfully admitted into the U.S. for permanent residence, he or she should state in the affidavit the date and place of admission for permanent residence and the alien registration number which appears on his or her Alien Resignation Receipt Card.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why risk a delay by attempting to guess the required aspects of a readily available form?

FWIW, if this joint sponsor will be needed at the adjustment of status phase (after your marriage in the US) are they willing to sign the sponsor's contract that is required with the form I-864 used at adjustment of status? If not, perhaps this is the time to secure another person as joint sponsor.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thanks for your answers.

I thought the written affidavit might be a bit less demanding of personal financial info but I guess not.

Is it required that the I-134 sponsor is the same as the I-864 if we need one? I'm pretty sure I'll be making enough money by that time, it's just that for the K-1 I won't have had my job for very long and want to avoid any doubt that would cause USCIS to deny the visa.

The Story So Far:

Apr 1 2011 - Engaged!

event.png

Thanks for your answers.

I thought the written affidavit might be a bit less demanding of personal financial info but I guess not.

Is it required that the I-134 sponsor is the same as the I-864 if we need one? I'm pretty sure I'll be making enough money by that time, it's just that for the K-1 I won't have had my job for very long and want to avoid any doubt that would cause USCIS to deny the visa.

The statement you quoted sounded easy, but you quit reading too soon.

Adjustment of status is a brand new ballgame, so the Affidavit of Support can be sponsored by a different person.

If you had a timeline, it would help. Where are you in the filing process? Your income proof isn't shown until the interview which could be months down the road. Even if you have a brand new job (making the required amount) London would approve your financials today if you had a letter from an employer and some pay stubs to prove your current salary. An income tax return over the limit isn't required.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Well, I quit quoting too soon, let's say that much. :blush:

The form asks about life insurance, the value of your home, etc and it seemed like the bulleted info could be provided without addressing some of those areas or writing an "N/A" which sounds like some embassies don't like.

Just making it harder by trying to make it easier. :bonk:

Thanks for clearing up the new job thing, though. I've read elsewhere that they can be doubtful if you're in a new job, but if we'd be okay, then that's one less thing to worry about.

The Story So Far:

Apr 1 2011 - Engaged!

event.png

The form asks about life insurance, the value of your home, etc and it seemed like the bulleted info could be provided without addressing some of those areas or writing an "N/A" which sounds like some embassies don't like.

Thanks for clearing up the new job thing, though. I've read elsewhere that they can be doubtful if you're in a new job, but if we'd be okay, then that's one less thing to worry about.

Two things:

If you or a joint sponsor have salary to cover the required amount, then the assets, home value, insurance, etc can be left totally blank. That's only to make up for a shortfall of salary.

I've read elsewhere that they can be doubtful if you're in a new job...

If you've read elsewhere about a consulate that isn't London, then that information doesn't apply to you. London is not as strict or intimidating as some places. If you make the salary now and can show proof, then you will be just fine for London. Good luck!

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A new job earning the required annual amount ought to be ok. As others have said London isn't as daunting as others. Having a joint sponsor as a back up can't hurt at all. And if that person qualifies on income then the assets, etc. can be left blank.

Sounds like you've got it sorted out. Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

They were totally fine with my new job... I started my job on 9th February 2011, had a letter from them signed w/ my salary, etc. dated 15th February.. all for an interview that was on 22nd March.

Glad my job worked out ;-)

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Timeline

Thanks, everyone! We've been so stressed out with how daunting it all seems, so this is great news. :thumbs:

The Story So Far:

Apr 1 2011 - Engaged!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.