san diego

visa for the wedding

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have a question, which is more on wedding planning for K1 (Russia only). My fiancee's parents are in Moscow. Her dad cannot fly due to his heart condition. I would like at least her mom to be present at the wedding. What kind of visa does she need? I want her to come for 2 weeks pre-wedding and wedding total (not more than that). Please, let me know visa type and what should be done for wedding visit for 2 weeks. How long in advance do I need to apply? Anyone tried this? Please, help! I want this wedding to be perfect and want to have at least ONE of her immediate relatives at the wedding.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your fiancee's mother will need a B2 visa (visitor). She can apply anytime, however, the sooner the better. She will also need to show strong ties to Russia before she will be issued a visitor's visa. According to the State Department, the current wait time for a visitor visa interview at the Embassy in Moscow is 10 days.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Your fiancee's mother will need a B2 visa (visitor). She can apply anytime, however, the sooner the better. She will also need to show strong ties to Russia before she will be issued a visitor's visa. According to the State Department, the current wait time for a visitor visa interview at the Embassy in Moscow is 10 days.

Thank you so much! I have another question: she has her own 3-bedroom apartment, job, husband (will not come), vacation house, and son (brother of my fiancee, adult though). Is this enough? Do you think planning 2 month after her arrival is enough time? Does she need to apply on her own or I need to send her some kind of invitation? Thank you!!

Timeline

That's right. I would like to add something: basically about proving ties to Russia - it will be considered a good thing in the embassy that she is married and her husband is staying in Russia, also if there are other immediate relatives staying in Russia, it will also be a good thing. If she works she can bring a letter from work stating her income and also a letter explaining that they're expecting her back. Also, if she owns an apartment/house/garage/car she can bring papers certifying the ownership - I mean, she won't necessarily need them, but it's good to have them sometimes. And also a letter of invitation from you stating the dates of her visit and a copy of your fiancee's K-1 visa might be useful.

I haven't tried that myself, but that's basically the advice I've read so far.

Good luck to you! And please keep us posted, if you can. It's very important for me too, since I want my parents at my wedding :)

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Obtaining visitor visa's to the US (in regards to wedding), was such a pain in the ####### was just one of the many reasons that we went the CR1 route.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

That's right. I would like to add something: basically about proving ties to Russia - it will be considered a good thing in the embassy that she is married and her husband is staying in Russia, also if there are other immediate relatives staying in Russia, it will also be a good thing. If she works she can bring a letter from work stating her income and also a letter explaining that they're expecting her back. Also, if she owns an apartment/house/garage/car she can bring papers certifying the ownership - I mean, she won't necessarily need them, but it's good to have them sometimes. And also a letter of invitation from you stating the dates of her visit and a copy of your fiancee's K-1 visa might be useful.

Good luck to you! And please keep us posted, if you can. It's very important for me too, since I want my parents at my wedding :)

Thank you for your advice! It is not ABSOLUTELY necessary but would be nice! I want someone to take her to the altar :) This is kind of strange if there is no one from her immediate family is there! I will keep you posted!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since my question is indirectly related, and since I'm in the midst of planning my own MiL's trip, perhaps the answer to this question will be of benefit to san diego too.

As seems to be not-uncommon, my mother-in-law has a job, but it's under the table. I would imagine the US Embassy in Moscow understands the country in which it's situated, but obviously there's no formal documentation to prove that a job exists. Does anybody have any experience with this? Is a "letter explaining that they're expecting her back" sufficient, do you think? Or should my MiL start looking for "real" work, like, pronto?

Thanks,

Z

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Visitor visa for them to be present at your wedding is definitely doable. Be it luck or preparation, Anna and I have always been able to get tourist visas for whomever needed to come here. I've read far and wide about people not being able to get them, so we consider ourselves lucky no matter what.

We provided strong ties back to Russia. Anything and everything pertaining the person to their property or lives back home. The reason they are going with some heart string tugging overtone (can't beat a wedding!).

Be prepared and cross your fingers, in the immortal words of Rob Schneider, YOU CAN DO IT! :P

you-can-do-it1.jpg

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.