springfox

RUB Drivers

56 posts in this topic

Yeah, no kidding... and the same people get really pizzed if you won't cater to their GPS-dependant needs. I've never seen so many full-grown men scream and throw things over not getting their way with their GPS. Ridiculous.

Or my personal favorite when selling things on Craigslist, "What's your address, I'll just punch it into my GPS." Followed by an... "Oh no... it must not be updated. Uh... give me a minute while I try to punch it into my phone."

"Dude, just drive to the college already! You know where the college is, right? I'm literally two blocks down from there."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Or my personal favorite when selling things on Craigslist, "What's your address, I'll just punch it into my GPS." Followed by an... "Oh no... it must not be updated. Uh... give me a minute while I try to punch it into my phone."

"Dude, just drive to the college already! You know where the college is, right? I'm literally two blocks down from there."

Learning without a GPS is another way, not necessarily the right way.

Alla does interpretations. Her biggest client is Fletcher Allen Healthcare which has doctors offices all over the area, some up to 30 miles from our home. She often does these appointments between classes or before classes. She needs to drive directly from point A to point B with no BS. If she is late, she may lose her client and certainly pizz off the doctor, not to mention lose $35 per hour.

As you mention, some people are dysfunctional, Probably shouldn't be blamed on the GPS

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes! That is exactly how it goes!! I remember arguing with a guy for almost 5 minutes. He wanted the address for his GPS for a restaurant that had these directions: turn right out of the parking lot, go to the light, turn left into the parking lot of the restaurant. Jeez we do not need GPS for that!!!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Yes! That is exactly how it goes!! I remember arguing with a guy for almost 5 minutes. He wanted the address for his GPS for a restaurant that had these directions: turn right out of the parking lot, go to the light, turn left into the parking lot of the restaurant. Jeez we do not need GPS for that!!!

On the other hand the same guy will GIVE directions such as ...

Do you know where the old silo was?

No.

Well, you turn left where the old silo used to be, then turn right.

where?

Where, what?

Where do I turn right?

You will see a stop and go light...but don't turn there, go straight

uh-huh

Then go to the 3rd street on the...no, the fourth, no it IS the 3rd street and turn right

OK

Actually it MAY be the fourth street

what is the name of the street?

I don't know the names of the streets but I can just tell you how to get here.

OK

Ok what?

OK, tell me how to get there.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I hate directions like that. I give a combination of street names, mileage, and then landmarks. So it would be something like: "Turn left out of the parking lot, go straight for 2 miles until you will see a light for Mojave Blvd. Turn left at the light, then go about 3 miles until you see the 7-11 on the corner of Mojave and Charleston, then turn right onto Charleston to head south..." etc. Then I will draw a map with their route highlighted but all streets on there so they have an idea of progress.

On the other hand the same guy will GIVE directions such as ...

Do you know where the old silo was?

No.

Well, you turn left where the old silo used to be, then turn right.

where?

Where, what?

Where do I turn right?

You will see a stop and go light...but don't turn there, go straight

uh-huh

Then go to the 3rd street on the...no, the fourth, no it IS the 3rd street and turn right

OK

Actually it MAY be the fourth street

what is the name of the street?

I don't know the names of the streets but I can just tell you how to get here.

OK

Ok what?

OK, tell me how to get there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I will not buy my wife a GPS. I want her to learn her way around without needing it. I know so many folks who can't find their way up the street because they don't have their GPS.

You sound exactly like my fiance. He's even worse though, cause he actually has a GPS, but he never uses it unless we travel somewhere, so I asked him if I can use it for the summer....

:no:

Although he was riding with me showing various ways to get to the places I might need like grocery stores etc. And I figured how to get to the mall all by myself :lol:

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Learning without a GPS is another way, not necessarily the right way.

The right way is to use a map and compass.

Not very practical while driving, but once it's committed to memory "it is morning, the sun is behind me... I must be heading west" it never fails.

I hate directions like that. I give a combination of street names, mileage, and then landmarks. So it would be something like: "Turn left out of the parking lot,

When folks tell me right or left, I always double check on the map. I want to hear an orientation, not a side. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone tried to f me by telling me to hang a right off the exit and then I got there and the exit swung around so I had to take a left. All they had to do was tell me, "you get off the exit and head east."

You sound exactly like my fiance.

So he's always right too?

He's even worse though, cause he actually has a GPS,

I do not, nor will I, own a GPS. I have a map.

Call me old fashioned, but my map will not run out of batteries.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

When folks tell me right or left, I always double check on the map. I want to hear an orientation, not a side. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone tried to f me by telling me to hang a right off the exit and then I got there and the exit swung around so I had to take a left. All they had to do was tell me, "you get off the exit and head east."

I give right or left I general unless I am asked an orientation. The reason being most people have zero idea what is North, South, East, or West.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Is there a Visaveteran2? :unsure:

Alla had a couple of issues in driving that seemed to take a long time to "cure". She got over hitting mailboxes after 3 of them were killed quickly and humanely. But she had problems with maintaining a steady speed (she hates cruise control) and she was always drifting in the lane. She stayed in the lane, but not in the middle of the lane.

Orienteering is another matter. I got her a GPS and that helps alot but she is still "discovering" places on her own. The other day she "disappeared" for several hours and when she got home she said she "discovered" that the "other end of Williston Rd. goes to 5 corners and from there, if you turn right, it goes to Marshall's and Bed, Bath and Beyond!" She said this as she unloaded bags from her hatchback. :lol:

I'm still the visaveteran you all know and love. :) I got a new computer and I had some issues with passwords and with using my old handle, so I just added the"1" to expedite things.

Timeline

The right way is to use a map and compass.

I do not, nor will I, own a GPS. I have a map.

Maps and compasses were at one time "modern" technology. How long did it take you to accept therm over navigating by the sun and stars? I doubt you keep a sextant in the trunk.

A GPS would not suck the abilty to use a map out of your head.

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

[quote name='Gary and Alla' timestamp='1302099385' post you to accept therm over navigating by the sun and stars? I doubt you keep a sextant in the trunk.

I have a sextant and know how to use.

Actually given a ruler and a watch I can navigate within 60 miles max latitude and about 100 miles longitude.

I got to know how to use a sextant since being navigator on the sailing boat one had to know, and know how to dead reckon, since when we ventured up to the northern Great Lakes we'd always lose the Loran system.

Even now I am always asking/teaching even yo the little one; Where is the sun and in what direction is that?

I usually only need a map one time then I have the route committed to memory or even better just know how to get yo a place but can nit describe how to do it. It's just a feeling one gets.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

most people have zero idea what is North, South, East, or West.

That's part of the problem!

I'm still the visaveteran you all know and love. :)

Welcome back, VV. Or should I say, VV1?

Maps and compasses were at one time "modern" technology. How long did it take you to accept therm over navigating by the sun and stars? I doubt you keep a sextant in the trunk.

It's not about something being modern or antique - it's about a base skill level and being able to do something without relying on someone else.

Your typical GPS user has ZERO idea of where to go without that little voice telling them what to do. Like most other "modern" things in the USA... we need someone to tell us what to do.

I have a sextant and know how to use.

I hate being on the water. Absolutely hate it.

I'll be the first to admit I have very little idea how to navigate on the open water but the good news is.... I won't be on the open water!

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife drives well enough, but she didn't have to unlearn any Vladivostok idiosyncrasies because she rarely drove over there. Guess I lucked out, because her friends who drove constantly had to adjust to the US. One failed the test 3 times, I think. She drives to the store and to pickup Denis from school and hasn't had any issues. But if it snowed, her #### stayed put. :)

She always hands me the keys when we drive, but we must drive her car. Mine's filled with dog hair because he comes to work with me every day. She did say that she wishes to drive this coming week when we ho to soccer practice. She wants to experience highway driving, and it's just a couple miles of highway travel with a nice smooth transition from the ramp to the highway. It will be perfect practice for her.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Timeline

My wife drives well enough, but she didn't have to unlearn any Vladivostok idiosyncrasies because she rarely drove over there. Guess I lucked out, because her friends who drove constantly had to adjust to the US. One failed the test 3 times, I think. She drives to the store and to pickup Denis from school and hasn't had any issues. But if it snowed, her #### stayed put. :)

She always hands me the keys when we drive, but we must drive her car. Mine's filled with dog hair because he comes to work with me every day. She did say that she wishes to drive this coming week when we ho to soccer practice. She wants to experience highway driving, and it's just a couple miles of highway travel with a nice smooth transition from the ramp to the highway. It will be perfect practice for her.

Ah yes. The "big road". We only have one here, so it is known as "the big road". It took Alla a while to adjust to merging but she does it well now and I have to watch her speed, she turns into a lead-foot.

One by one she has learned what is at each exit from Canada to Montpelier. She was very nervous about going on that road at first, but got used to it now and has no trouble with it.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.