RK_and_Inday

Passport renewal without CFO Seminar possible?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fellow members,

First, thank you for all your assistance in completing I-129F and starting on visa journey. Second, sorry for adding yet another CFO related message to the already vast number, literally scores of which I (RK) have poured over and studied in search of answers prior to posting the current message. Although I believe I have mostly pieced together this DFA/CFO puzzle, I want to see--for the following situation--if any visa journey members (a) have been in similar situation and/or (b) have suggestions as to how to avoid an additional trip Manila or Cebu and © can address a few related questions:

In short, I (RK) recently submitted I-129F and now Inday and I are beginning to get documentation in order for the (eventual) embassy interview. As part of this preparation, Inday went to renew her expired passport at her nearest DFA office (which is quite a distance away from her home). After multiple trips to the DFA office to see if her passport had come in, her renewed passport finally came. However, when Inday tried to pick up her passport, DFA absolutely refused to release the passport to her unless she first attends CFO seminar--apparently because Inday had indicated purpose of passport as related to K-1 visa. Inday lives in Western Visayas region and an additional trip to Cebu or Manila for the CFO seminar is currently non-trivial. (To further confuse the issue, in the conversation between DFA and Inday, DFA kept referring to me as a "spouse" so told Inday she therefore could not have her passport although Inday tried to explain repeatedly there is no current marriage in attempt to obtain her passport. DFA would not budge.)

So, here are the relevant questions:

1. Most importantly, is there an honest way for Inday to acquire her passport now from DFA without traveling to Cebu or Manila at this time and attending CFO seminar? or..

2. Would the easiest solution to obtain passport be just to find way to attend Cebu or Manila CFO seminar at this time or later?

3. Is there any expiration for certificate received at CFO seminar? (I ask because I know Inday and I are quite far away in time from embassy interview so we want to reduce possibility of repeat trips--and potential frustrations--as much as possible).

4. DFA asked Inday to provide documentation from/of me--before Inday's passport is released--copy of my own passport, for example, was specifically stated. I know this has been asked by DFA in similar situation before but is this indeed truly necessary? and..

5. If DFA does require documents of me, what else besides copy of my passport should I expect they potentially may ask? (To save Inday from yet another of already multiple trips to the DFA.)

That about sums it up. As always, Inday and I both thank you all for your continuing assistance!

RK

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

as far as i know..if u changed status and your surname...you have to attend the CFO first...like what i did...i attended the seminar first before i renewed my passport from my husband's surname...but if u are still single and u just want to renew it..i dont think it is advisable...i only submitted my marriage contract...

Timeline

as far as i know..if u changed status and your surname...you have to attend the CFO first...like what i did...i attended the seminar first before i renewed my passport from my husband's surname...but if u are still single and u just want to renew it..i dont think it is advisable...i only submitted my marriage contract...

PatRhea, thank you for your response. To clarify in case I (RK) buried pertinent info in too much text in orginal post (I can be long-winded sometimes): I submitted I-129f petition recently. Inday and I are in K-1 (fiance) visa process. Inday and I are both single, both never before married. Inday went to renew her passport but DFA refused to give it to her unless Inday first attends CFO seminar. All questions stand as in original post. Thank you again, PatRhea, for sharing from your experience. Yours and all responses are appreciated. Looking forward to additional responses...

RK and Inday

K-1
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

here in dfa manila, if you are single and you not going to change your single name, certificate of attendance from CFO and copy of petitioner's passport is not needed/required... visit http//passport.com.ph/ click documentary requirement and print show it to the DFA person who is asking that...god bless!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fellow members,

First, thank you for all your assistance in completing I-129F and starting on visa journey. Second, sorry for adding yet another CFO related message to the already vast number, literally scores of which I (RK) have poured over and studied in search of answers prior to posting the current message. Although I believe I have mostly pieced together this DFA/CFO puzzle, I want to see--for the following situation--if any visa journey members (a) have been in similar situation and/or (b) have suggestions as to how to avoid an additional trip Manila or Cebu and © can address a few related questions:

In short, I (RK) recently submitted I-129F and now Inday and I are beginning to get documentation in order for the (eventual) embassy interview. As part of this preparation, Inday went to renew her expired passport at her nearest DFA office (which is quite a distance away from her home). After multiple trips to the DFA office to see if her passport had come in, her renewed passport finally came. However, when Inday tried to pick up her passport, DFA absolutely refused to release the passport to her unless she first attends CFO seminar--apparently because Inday had indicated purpose of passport as related to K-1 visa. Inday lives in Western Visayas region and an additional trip to Cebu or Manila for the CFO seminar is currently non-trivial. (To further confuse the issue, in the conversation between DFA and Inday, DFA kept referring to me as a "spouse" so told Inday she therefore could not have her passport although Inday tried to explain repeatedly there is no current marriage in attempt to obtain her passport. DFA would not budge.)

So, here are the relevant questions:

1. Most importantly, is there an honest way for Inday to acquire her passport now from DFA without traveling to Cebu or Manila at this time and attending CFO seminar? or..

2. Would the easiest solution to obtain passport be just to find way to attend Cebu or Manila CFO seminar at this time or later?

3. Is there any expiration for certificate received at CFO seminar? (I ask because I know Inday and I are quite far away in time from embassy interview so we want to reduce possibility of repeat trips--and potential frustrations--as much as possible).

4. DFA asked Inday to provide documentation from/of me--before Inday's passport is released--copy of my own passport, for example, was specifically stated. I know this has been asked by DFA in similar situation before but is this indeed truly necessary? and..

5. If DFA does require documents of me, what else besides copy of my passport should I expect they potentially may ask? (To save Inday from yet another of already multiple trips to the DFA.)

That about sums it up. As always, Inday and I both thank you all for your continuing assistance!

RK

Hello..I'm also from Western Visayas(Bacolod)..my husband & I were both single and never married during our K1 process before. I'm really wondering why they didn't release her passport. Her purpose was just to renew her old passport and get a new one(she didn't even change her name). She doesn't need to attend the CFO seminar because she doesn't have any visa yet. She needs to have the passport during her medical exam at St. Lukes and it will be forwarded to US Embassy for her interview(she will see her passport again once it will be mailed to her if she got approved with a visa). You can call the DFA office where she had her passport renewed and ask them to release it because they don't have any right to put her passport on hold. Why would they tell her to attend CFO Guidance & Counseling first before they can release it? Everyone has the option to take her CFO Guidance and Counseling seminar before or after his/her US embassy interview. The DFA should know that she needs to have her passport. By the way, during her CFO seminar she will be interviewed as well before they can issue her a certificate of attendance. Then once she get approved and get her passport mailed to her from the embassy(with the K1 visa attached), then she can go to the DFA and show her CFO certificate and get her sticker before she leaves the country. She can't leave the country unless she have the DFA sticker. I really hope you can call the DFA office and question them. I have my sympathy on your Inday because it's really far and costly for us to travel back and forth to Manila. My husband & I really planned things out so that it will not cost us that much for all my travel and expenses. I will share below what we did..haha..We hope everything goes well with your petition. God bless your journey!!..

*From Bacolod, I flew to Manila a week before my US Embassy interview and stayed @ Lotus Garden Hotel(was very close to ST.Lukes). The next day after I arrived, I went to take my Medical Exam at St. Lukes and had my vaccination the next day. They took my passport and forwarded it to the embassy(thanked God coz everything went well with my medical exam!! or else we will move the interview schedule again). I moved to Bayview Hotel the night before my embassy interview(very very close). I was approved with a K1 visa and after my interview(together with new friends I've met during our embassy interview) we went to PRISM and attend our CFO Guidance and Counseling, we were interviewed and then we were given a certificate of attendance(I just told the interviewer that my passport was still at the embassy and I got approved). The documents I brought for my CFO seminar were photocopy of NBI, birth certificate, bio-page of my passport,fiance's passport page, birth certificate and one of his paystubs(cos it shows his marital status-SINGLE). I also prepare a letter of advice from my parents since I was only 23 but they didn't bother to check it. Good thing I didn't forget to bring photos of me and my fiance during his visit and even brought some email copies too. It really is helpful to be safe. hahaha. That was a good and blessed week. I didn't go to get my DFA sticker since I still don't have my passport so I went back home to Bacolod the next day. My passport arrived together with the whole packet(thanks Air21..they were fast!). I flew to Manila the day before my flight to US. I took the morning flight, then in the afternoon I went to the DFA office to get my Emigrant sticker stamped (it only took 25 minutes) and went back to Kabayan hotel. The next day was my flight going here in US. God is so good!!

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

Timeline

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

* AOS Journey

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

Timeline

here in dfa manila, if you are single and you not going to change your single name, certificate of attendance from CFO and copy of petitioner's passport is not needed/required... visit http//passport.com.ph/ click documentary requirement and print show it to the DFA person who is asking that...god bless!!!

PatRhea, yes we went to that website before going to DFA in first place. Yes, after passport was withheld, we were thinking same thing as your suggestion: printing their own requirements from the website and showing them. For some reason, DFA kept thinking Inday was already married so we were thinking of having Inday possible present her CENOMAR as well. Just making sure with other experienced VJers first to avoid multiple trips and reduce frustrations. PatRhea, thank you again!! We will definitely use your suggestion!

RK and Inday

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

certificate of attendance from CFO has no expiration...

PatRhea, Thank you for the answer to that particular question. Inday and I are trying to understand this situation and everything along this journey as much as we can. We will add this fact to our collection of knowledge. Thank you for sharing your knowlege and experience!!

RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

Hello..I'm also from Western Visayas(Bacolod)..my husband & I were both single and never married during our K1 process before. I'm really wondering why they didn't release her passport. Her purpose was just to renew her old passport and get a new one(she didn't even change her name). She doesn't need to attend the CFO seminar because she doesn't have any visa yet. She needs to have the passport during her medical exam at St. Lukes and it will be forwarded to US Embassy for her interview(she will see her passport again once it will be mailed to her if she got approved with a visa). You can call the DFA office where she had her passport renewed and ask them to release it because they don't have any right to put her passport on hold. Why would they tell her to attend CFO Guidance & Counseling first before they can release it? Everyone has the option to take her CFO Guidance and Counseling seminar before or after his/her US embassy interview. The DFA should know that she needs to have her passport. By the way, during her CFO seminar she will be interviewed as well before they can issue her a certificate of attendance. Then once she get approved and get her passport mailed to her from the embassy(with the K1 visa attached), then she can go to the DFA and show her CFO certificate and get her sticker before she leaves the country. She can't leave the country unless she have the DFA sticker. I really hope you can call the DFA office and question them. I have my sympathy on your Inday because it's really far and costly for us to travel back and forth to Manila. My husband & I really planned things out so that it will not cost us that much for all my travel and expenses. I will share below what we did..haha..We hope everything goes well with your petition. God bless your journey!!..

*From Bacolod, I flew to Manila a week before my US Embassy interview and stayed @ Lotus Garden Hotel(was very close to ST.Lukes). The next day after I arrived, I went to take my Medical Exam at St. Lukes and had my vaccination the next day. They took my passport and forwarded it to the embassy(thanked God coz everything went well with my medical exam!! or else we will move the interview schedule again). I moved to Bayview Hotel the night before my embassy interview(very very close). I was approved with a K1 visa and after my interview(together with new friends I've met during our embassy interview) we went to PRISM and attend our CFO Guidance and Counseling, we were interviewed and then we were given a certificate of attendance(I just told the interviewer that my passport was still at the embassy and I got approved). The documents I brought for my CFO seminar were photocopy of NBI, birth certificate, bio-page of my passport,fiance's passport page, birth certificate and one of his paystubs(cos it shows his marital status-SINGLE). I also prepare a letter of advice from my parents since I was only 23 but they didn't bother to check it. Good thing I didn't forget to bring photos of me and my fiance during his visit and even brought some email copies too. It really is helpful to be safe. hahaha. That was a good and blessed week. I didn't go to get my DFA sticker since I still don't have my passport so I went back home to Bacolod the next day. My passport arrived together with the whole packet(thanks Air21..they were fast!). I flew to Manila the day before my flight to US. I took the morning flight, then in the afternoon I went to the DFA office to get my Emigrant sticker stamped (it only took 25 minutes) and went back to Kabayan hotel. The next day was my flight going here in US. God is so good!!

Hello (this is RK) kag madamo gid nga salamat for sharing your response, suggestions, sympathy, blessings, and visa experience. All this you have provided has been quite useful and very welcome. Thank you for verifying what Inday and I thought we understood even at this early stage in the process: that Inday will need passport for St. Luke’s medical and embassy interview and may choose to attend CFO Guidance & counseling even after interview. That is why we did not understand why DFA would not release her passport. Yes, from web page you recommended, from guide’s here on VJ and from studying other VJ posts, I do understand Inday will have another interview at CFO before getting certificate of attendance. Yet another reason not wanting currently to get involved in the CFO aspect at this time if at all possible—to give Inday time to prepare for that interview as well.

As far as I can figure, DFA is withholding Inday’s passport because (1) for some reason, they have decided she is married and this justifies their reticence to release passport along with (2) DFA seems to be going by this statement “As Filipinos going abroad as fiancé(e)s, spouses or other partners of foreign nationals, you are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling session in order to secure the Guidance and Counseling Certificate (GCC) and the CFO sticker. You need this certificate to renew or apply for a new passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs (per Department of Foreign Affairs Order Nos. 11-97 Implementing Rules and Regulations for Republic Act 8239, "Philippine Passport Act" and 28-94).”

The above statement is found on: http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=329&Itemid=78

I read over the Philippine Passport Act closely and found no justification for the non-release of Inday’s passport nor the statement “required to attend..CFO…to renew…passport.” Seemed inconsistent, so I then examined the guides and scores of other posts here on VJ about many other CFO-related/CFO-caused confusions and experiences, then realized it was time to seek help from experienced VJers in my and Inday’s situation.

Again, thank you very much for understanding about the costs (and other inconveniences) of traveling to Manila or Cebu from the Western Visayas multiple times. I was also afraid that if Inday did end up trying to go to CFO without passport to try to attend seminar as DFA advised she possibly would be passed back to DFA to get her passport before attending CFO in an even more costly and time-consuming “Catch-22” situation/circle than now. Also, thank you very, very much for sharing your personal experience. Seeing your personal experiences is quite encouraging, helps Inday and I to have better understanding of the process, provides nice golden nuggets of information (e.g., use pay stub to show as single) and imparts the knowledge that there is indeed a light somewhere at the end of what Is feeling like a very long tunnel.

Many Thanks from Both of Us,

RK and Inday

BTW, Many Congratulations/Good wishes to you and your husband on your own fairly recent wedding and welcome to your new life with husband here in the United States. Many blessings to you and your husband. --RK & Inday

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PatRhea kag Pookaphilus: Salamat liwat! :) Noted and appreciated! -RK

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Timeline

PatRhea kag Pookaphilus: Salamat liwat! :) Noted and appreciated! -RK

hhahaha..it really made me and my husband laugh..maybe you and my husband can practice conversing in Ilonggo then..I also teach him words in my language so that whenever we visit my province again, he will be able to identify if they are saying good or bad about him..hahaha..you are always welcome..it's really good to help others(knowing that we've been there before and how difficult everything was..hehe)..salamat man. tsakto gid na!.always have faith in your love for each other and God above..one thing that made us stronger along the way is to trust each other and be patient with everything. No matter how long the road is, there's always an end to that!!..God bless..our hello to Inday and you..halong kamo pirmi!!..:-) :dance::dance::dance:

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

* AOS Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.