bubpce

What can be done to put pressure on VSC?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Its the Federal Govt not FEDEX..

nothing happens overnight... and in fact, nothing happens in a manner we would want it too

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

"I want my tax return faster. I'm going to start a protest. If enough of us speak up, I bet we could get them next day." -sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Thinking that the IRS actually gives a ####### about you needing that money is naive. Apply the same thinking to USCIS. Same thing, different agency.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is a violation of TOS to make personal attacks on other VJ members. One such post has been removed along with a second post quoting the removed content. The acceptable part of the 2nd post has been returned to the thread below. You can disagree with the contents of a post but please don't be disagreeable while doing so.

Its simple logic. Either the adjudicator is approving petitions or he is on the phone or in the hall or otherwise "answering" to someone who is running down a Congressional inquiry on a file which he/she happens to have checked out. Congressionals are time sensitive and they have to be responded to.

There is certainly no way that barraging the USCIS with phone calls, congressional inquiries and emails and info-pass appointments will "speed things up" for everyone. If that makes me a "troll" so be it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

its interesting those who are saying just be patient have there loved ones with them. i agree that we need to be patient....but we also need to be compassionate and let people vent. that what this site is here for! best wishes to all and be blessed :thumbs:

event.png

A journey it has been!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know. I can envision my petition sitting in a box somewhere; just gathering dust.

Then, perhaps after a phone call from a congressman to an administrator, an adjudicator is instructed to find my petition, blow away all the dust, and get to work on it. I'm not sure how that slows the process down.

It is purely math. Look at the number of applicants for all VISA types, then look at the sheer volume of daily calls to USCIS. Then look at 'what if" everyone does a congressional or a large number of people do a congressional?

In a file production enviornment, the person processing the files can only do one thing at a time, like I said earlier. Either process files or respond to inquiries on files. So when someone calls or comes to him/her on a congressional he/she STOPS processing and starts digging through the box. They have to find your file, verify that it is not lost, or destroyed and within "normal" processing time, or if it has RFE' or security check issues. Then they may or may not have to prepare a written response to the inquiry. All this time takes away from normal file processing routines.

Multiply this by the number of people who contact congressmen on ALL FILE TYPES. Look around these boards and see how often people are instructed to call the congressman or senator. Many inquire to both senators and the congressman generating three inquiries for one file.

Now Adjudicators get evaluated in part on how many files they process in a day/month/quarterly time period. Stopping their work frequently to verify that files are in the pile...well ask yourself what you would feel or what you would do if the file you just dug out of the pile is pretty much a routine file within the current "normal" processing time for that file type. Maybe you would just process it next to get it off your desk, or maybe you have had 4 congressional's today and lost an hour of processing time... and the file you picked out was well under "normal" processing time or within normal processing time under the current caseload. Maybe you would put it at the bottom of the next box, or the one underneath that box because your ticked off. Or maybe issue an RFE that you might not normally issue on that particular file, "just because". The truth is, nobody knows.

Browse around these boards, there are those who think they got some result from a congressional and some rightfully so in cases of extreme delays or crazy RFE's. There is an equal consensus that the congressional has no impact or effect, and others who believe it slowed things down.

It is my belief based on past experience working in a file production environment (not USCIS) and supervising those who work in that scenario, that "people are people" and that some files take a longer route due to processors that do not take kindly to multiple and frequent interruptions of their work environment. There are also those processors who are easily distracted and are impacted and slowed by multiple emails, calls and inquiries although they are quite good a file processing when not disturbed.

You can choose to believe whatever you want, but I do know for a fact based on my own experience that days that have heavy call and case status inquiry volume are days that result in slower than normal file production. I cannot imagine the same scenario in the USCIS file production environment would have a different result. And in no case can I imagine it would speed things up.

nuff said.

Edited by Sergi9

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

After dealing with the service center for two long years I feel very strong when I say YOU CAN NOT MOVE them they are an unmovable force......an attorney will not make the process faster (used one) congress person mostly gets the same reply as your service request.....and I personally found that there was nothing any elected government official could do they beat their own drum and do things in their own time.....

just try to stay busy and keep in contact with your s/o and keep building your relationship so that it grows stronger and stronger......

I hope everyone waiting gets wonderful news very soon

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Its simple logic. Either the adjudicator is approving petitions or he is on the phone or in the hall or otherwise "answering" to someone who is running down a Congressional inquiry on a file which he/she happens to have checked out. Congressionals are time sensitive and they have to be responded to.

There is certainly no way that barraging the USCIS with phone calls, congressional inquiries and emails and info-pass appointments will "speed things up" for everyone. If that makes me a "troll" so be it.

Adjudicators do not answer the phones....They hire different staff to do this, they do not. Customer Service does this.

So you are incorrect in saying this slows it down as it does not, as the people doing petitions have no contact at all with any congressman or senator.

Period.

It is purely math. Look at the number of applicants for all VISA types, then look at the sheer volume of daily calls to USCIS. Then look at 'what if" everyone does a congressional or a large number of people do a congressional?

In a file production enviornment, the person processing the files can only do one thing at a time, like I said earlier. Either process files or respond to inquiries on files. So when someone calls or comes to him/her on a congressional he/she STOPS processing and starts digging through the box. They have to find your file, verify that it is not lost, or destroyed and within "normal" processing time, or if it has RFE' or security check issues. Then they may or may not have to prepare a written response to the inquiry. All this time takes away from normal file processing routines.

Multiply this by the number of people who contact congressmen on ALL FILE TYPES. Look around these boards and see how often people are instructed to call the congressman or senator. Many inquire to both senators and the congressman generating three inquiries for one file.

Now Adjudicators get evaluated in part on how many files they process in a day/month/quarterly time period. Stopping their work frequently to verify that files are in the pile...well ask yourself what you would feel or what you would do if the file you just dug out of the pile is pretty much a routine file within the current "normal" processing time for that file type. Maybe you would just process it next to get it off your desk, or maybe you have had 4 congressional's today and lost an hour of processing time... and the file you picked out was well under "normal" processing time or within normal processing time under the current caseload. Maybe you would put it at the bottom of the next box, or the one underneath that box because your ticked off. Or maybe issue an RFE that you might not normally issue on that particular file, "just because". The truth is, nobody knows.

Browse around these boards, there are those who think they got some result from a congressional and some rightfully so in cases of extreme delays or crazy RFE's. There is an equal consensus that the congressional has no impact or effect, and others who believe it slowed things down.

It is my belief based on past experience working in a file production environment (not USCIS) and supervising those who work in that scenario, that "people are people" and that some files take a longer route due to processors that do not take kindly to multiple and frequent interruptions of their work environment. There are also those processors who are easily distracted and are impacted and slowed by multiple emails, calls and inquiries although they are quite good a file processing when not disturbed.

You can choose to believe whatever you want, but I do know for a fact based on my own experience that days that have heavy call and case status inquiry volume are days that result in slower than normal file production. I cannot imagine the same scenario in the USCIS file production environment would have a different result. And in no case can I imagine it would speed things up.

nuff said.

I didn't really bother to read all of that.

In a sticky topic where Gary talked to an administrator, the administrator was asked this, "So how can I speed up my petition?" And here was the reply, "You can't really. If it gets to be too long and if you can get a congressman or senator to call, that will get some action, but half the time those guys don't call or they do and the petition has only been there 3 months. Sometimes one falls through the cracks, gets overlooked, we are human. A congressman can get through and get them to dig it out if it has been too long, but I wouldn't call that "speeding it up". That's a fix for when it is too slow."

If you carefully read what is said, WE can't speed it up; however, if the petition is taking too long (which is what we're talking about) then a congressman can get them to dig it out. He calls that fixing it when it is too slow; but to me, that's the same as speeding it up.

And again, the topic was not about 3 month old petitions, the topic was about petitions that are at 6 months or more. And that's what the admin. said they fix when it is too slow. If I'm at 6 months, I'll call my congressman and if it makes somebody go dig it out and work on it, then I'll do it.

:thumbs:

Edited by B_J

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

nuff said.

USCIS hires contractors to handle the phone calls. There are specific staff hired to handle congressional inquiries. No adjudicators deal with Congressional calls. There are NO outside phonelines into USCIS Vermont at all so they don't even know about all the inquries happening. So there is no slow down due to congressional calls. Bad information above.

You did not work for USCIS so all the stuff you say is an assumption. Things work differently for every agency and it has been proving here by Gary in his stickied thread on the other forum, exactly how things are handled at USCIS.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Ok ...This is really getting frustrating for everyone here. I am a December filer, and we are waiting on our turn as everyone else here but come on, people who filed in September still hasnt been approved?! Whats up with that? That is just crazy. How can CSC work on January and February filers, and VSC is not working on anything right now. Did anyone saw a petition being approved here yesterday? I, for one , didnt ! VSC is getting over the edge with their slow work. Its not even slow anymore, its simply not happening.

My fiance and I did the whole tweeting thing but it looks like it didnt help at all. So, come on people ... What can we do to start putting pressure on Vermont. People here are starting to cancel their weddings because of them. An action must be taken and we must speak so we can be heard.

Please, let us find a way out from this situation that Vermont has put us all in.

Anyone who has a suggestion, anyone who has an idea ... type it down and post it, and lets find a solution for this problem.

As individuals maybe we cant make a big difference, and maybe we cant make them hear us, but as a group, we sure can!!!!

Come on , lets take come action! Its about time

How can CSC work on January cases now? The same way last fall that CSC people were running up against 6 months and VSC filers were getting approved in 3 to 4 weeks. This is the way it goes at all of the centers. Nothing will happen on one type of visa because they are working on another type. When those get caught up, they will switch back to the fiancee/spouse petitions. Bottom line is there is nothing you can do to put pressure on them. Especially at 3 months. I would even hazard a guess that the more "pressure" you put on them via phone calls, senator/congressman inquires and what not, the slower they will be. The more often they have to stop to answer an inquiry about a case that is well less than the 5 month goal, the less time they are working on petitions. To say adjudicators don't answer the phone so this doesn't slow things down isn't correct. The person who does answer the phone has to ask someone else about the case and eventually that someone else will be the adjudicator. That will definately slow them down from working on the cases.

Bottom line is while you might get action on your particular case, there is nothing you can do to speed up the center as a whole.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How can CSC work on January cases now? The same way last fall that CSC people were running up against 6 months and VSC filers were getting approved in 3 to 4 weeks. This is the way it goes at all of the centers. Nothing will happen on one type of visa because they are working on another type. When those get caught up, they will switch back to the fiancee/spouse petitions. Bottom line is there is nothing you can do to put pressure on them. Especially at 3 months. I would even hazard a guess that the more "pressure" you put on them via phone calls, senator/congressman inquires and what not, the slower they will be. The more often they have to stop to answer an inquiry about a case that is well less than the 5 month goal, the less time they are working on petitions. To say adjudicators don't answer the phone so this doesn't slow things down isn't correct. The person who does answer the phone has to ask someone else about the case and eventually that someone else will be the adjudicator. That will definately slow them down from working on the cases.

Bottom line is while you might get action on your particular case, there is nothing you can do to speed up the center as a whole.

They're not only adjudicating petitions, either. They also adjudicate AOS applications. And there's been a stirring of dissent in the AOS forums about their slowness as well. Gotta love American's "me first" mentality.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

USCIS hires contractors to handle the phone calls. There are specific staff hired to handle congressional inquiries. No adjudicators deal with Congressional calls. There are NO outside phonelines into USCIS Vermont at all so they don't even know about all the inquries happening. So there is no slow down due to congressional calls. Bad information above.

You did not work for USCIS so all the stuff you say is an assumption. Things work differently for every agency and it has been proving here by Gary in his stickied thread on the other forum, exactly how things are handled at USCIS.

I read the thread and if you read it you would know that and adjudicator signs out boxes of files at a time. When a congressional inquiry is initiated someone has to physically run down the file. (otherwise the information they would be giving would be bogus or speculative)

As Gary says, if the adjudicator has it that someone has his/her initials in the system as having checked out the file, as Gary indicated in his thread. If you have called USCIS contract operators you know they work off a script and they have no access to your file.

Yes there are specific staff who handle congressional inquiries, but if a file is checked out by an adjudicator I see no way the staff could give a status report on the file without contacting the person who has that file which would be the adjudicator. If the adjudicator is digging in a box for a file or talking to the "special staff that handles congressional inquiries" he/she is not processing files they are doing something else and are effected by the inquiry. As Gary mentioned files slip through the cracks and in those cases I believe a congressional might help somewhat in rare cases as Gary mentions.

As to the circumstances of being out of normal processing times, what is normal in January might not be normal in March due to processing volume, the upgrade program USCIS is working on, staff vacations, other petition processing etc. Seems at this time ALL applications out of VSC are moving slowly (5-6-7 months) so trying to start a movement to put "pressure" on VCS by calling congressman which is what this thread is about, appears futile at best and more likely counterproductive to the goal of faster processing times.

Edited by brokenfamily

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Exactly, sorry I duped what you said I didn't see your post

Edited by brokenfamily

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

The K1 I filed had an NOA1 Date of acceptance on September 23rd. Its been over six months without being touched. I don't know what to do, but I contacted Congressman Burgess and his office is calling and bugging the VSC. They never work, what is there problem, wish i had there job :(....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

I agree things are a slow process right now...seem to be taking long. We filed in November and our application hasn't been touched since 11/16. We did have to postpone our wedding until further notice it was scheduled for mid-may, and I don't appreciate the rude comment about it being our fault. I understand people are advised not to plan these events until all is done, however, you must be married within three months of them arriving...do you know how hard it is to plan a real wedding in three months?! We've been planning ours for a year and half and still aren't finished even if it had gone off in May. So I'm sorry that comment was rude and it seems to be the same people that always have some "cocky" comment to make. I agree with the contacting your congressman, when you love someone you just want to be with them so you will go above and beyond to be with that person and do what it takes, otherwise none of us would be on here. I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with this stuff, it's no fun, but it'll all be worth it in the end. I wish everyonje the best of luck with things and hope to see most of you posting soon that YOU GOT YOUR APPROVALS:) I appreciate having this site to communicate with others who understand what I'm going through, it's been 5 months now since I've seen my fiancee and I'm going crazy here...as I'm sure most of you are as well. So hang in there everyone, we'll get through all this together. And for those with a negative/cocky answer for everything (you know who you are)...take it somewhere else, this is a positive place for all of us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.