jpidgley

Interview Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey everyone.

My interview is next monday :D

The embassy website says: "Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages are not allowed within the Embassy grounds."

so my question is: what have people used, and what are people using to carry all their paperwork etc... just a folder?

I also have a second question not really anywhere near as important, but just for my own curiosity.

Form iv_019 says: "The office will process your interview as quickly as possible on the day of your visa appointment, but it is a process that will take two to three hours."

And the embassy website says: "Please also do not bring mobile phones or any other electronic devices, such as Blackberries, iPods, PDAs or remote-entry automobile key "fobs" to the interview as they are not allowed within the Embassy. Failure to follow these instructions will result in the cancellation of your appointment."

Alot of people have commented on the long periods of waiting time on the interview day. what have people don and what are people going to do to kill time....?

Josh.

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

I brought a regular sized accordian folder with all my papers organized with little tabs for easy access! It worked great! I also crammed my IDs, some cash and a pen in there. Other than that I brought a small book but ended up being too nervous to concentrate on reading it! :P I was the first one through and had no problems! I was finished security in a jiff! Leave all the electronics at home though! Poor girl behind me was not a VJer and had to return to her hotel to store her iPod, cell phone, car starter and laptop! I guess she thought she'd be bored! Good luck!

April 2008: Met through a friend

April 2009: Started dating

July 24, 2009: Engaged!

Feb 25, 2010: Sent in I-129F

Mar 11, 2010: NOA1 received

July 02, 2010: NOA2 received!!

July 07, 2010: NVC receives case

Aug 04, 2010: Received Packet 3

Aug 06. 2010: Packet 3 Sent!

Sept 14, 2010: Packet 4! Interview time!

Nov 15, 2010: Medical in Montreal

Nov 19, 2010: Interview in Montreal

Interview Result: Approved!

Dec 30, 2010: Moving Day! POE at Calais, ME! Never have to be apart again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had my folder with all my documents in a leather bag that I still had from college;-) Since I didn't have any other "stuff" in there, other than my passport, a pen, a book, a snack and tissues, I didn't have a problem with security at all.

They are strict with electronics though. I had to go back to the same consulate two years ago and forgot to take my iPod out of my purse. I was lucky, they had a little storage shelf there where I could leave it until I left again.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

I've always wondered where your meant to leave things if your travelling down for the interview. I mean i'll have my mp3 player and my phone on me the latter for that extra knowledge that I have it in case I need to call - running late, missed train etc. Are there places you could leave it? Its not that I can't do a day without my phone but just for safety.

I know in Venezuela you can't leave anything anywhere on embassy property. My fiancee was warned at her last tourist visa interview that anyone caught on camera leaving things in the parking lot would be kicked out and have their interviews cancelled. Pretty strict down there, but that may not be the case elsewhere.

As for how to bring your paperwork, I emailed the embassy where we'll be interviewing and asked - and was told they prefer everything in a modest-sized see-through folder. It seems most embassies will have you slide your info through a cut in a window, similar to a transaction made at a bank.

I picked up our folder at Office Depot for about $8. It has 6 dividers that I've labeled as 1. originals; 2. a complete copy of our originals; 3. medical/background; 4. financial; 5. pictures; 6. additional proof of relationship - which should do the trick. I'm sure as long as you're organized and not trucking in a mountain of paperwork, there won't be a problem.

post-96516-0-39237000-1301399150_thumb.jpg

Edited by m+p

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I am sending my fiance over a black 3 ring binder with everything in it (nothing hole punched but in clear plastic sleeves). I am not expected him to have any issues. :thumbs:

Edited by uklover

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We (USC and UKC) went to the interview in London March 24th 2011, we brought a three-ring binder with pockets for document folders. Security didn't even open it, just sent it through the X-ray machine. We forgot a pen, had to ask our neighbour in the waiting area, he kindly offered to hire it to us ... Hardy ha ha. We saw other people who forgot pens too.

It's important to be organised, have your documents in a tabbed binder or something that will make finding stuff easy even when you're nervous and a bit shaky. The windows have a small shelf but nowhere to hang a coat or put a binder down while you sort through a file.

Good luck!

We used an accordian style folder, that several others have used, too. Just make sure there is no metal on it ;-)

As for what my fiance did to pass the time - he said it was relatively quick - his appointment was at 8 (arrived way early at 7) but was finished by 9:30. By the time he waited in line, went through security, went to the front desk, waited a bit, etc. it was pretty much over!

Hey everyone.

My interview is next monday :D

The embassy website says: "Large bags, such as backpacks, suitcases or packages are not allowed within the Embassy grounds."

so my question is: what have people used, and what are people using to carry all their paperwork etc... just a folder?

I also have a second question not really anywhere near as important, but just for my own curiosity.

Form iv_019 says: "The office will process your interview as quickly as possible on the day of your visa appointment, but it is a process that will take two to three hours."

And the embassy website says: "Please also do not bring mobile phones or any other electronic devices, such as Blackberries, iPods, PDAs or remote-entry automobile key "fobs" to the interview as they are not allowed within the Embassy. Failure to follow these instructions will result in the cancellation of your appointment."

Alot of people have commented on the long periods of waiting time on the interview day. what have people don and what are people going to do to kill time....?

Josh.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks! so it seems its just a case of use a folder with limited metal for the forms etc, and just deal with the wait lol

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.