DavidandIrina

Does my fiancee need an apostille and is it Kyiv or Kiev?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

(1)Irina is asking me whether or not she needs an Apostille on her documents such as her birth certificate and her divorce decree? I haven't seen that word even mentioned in the forums, so I wouldn't think so but her friend works for the government and suggests she gets them put onto her documents.

"Apostille - a stamp that is affixed in accordance with the Regulations of the certificate on the official documents for use in other states "on the documents issued by state authorities for assurances of the authenticity of print, signature and position of the person who marked on the document. This provides recognition of the document as an official in other states."

(2) On the official documents should she put her address city as "Kyiv" or "Kiev". She tells me she is Ukrainian and it should be Kyiv as the official translation, however, Kyiv doesn't show up in any dictionary, so I would have her put Kiev. Whats the official word?

Thanks!

David and Irina

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

(1)Irina is asking me whether or not she needs an Apostille on her documents such as her birth certificate and her divorce decree? I haven't seen that word even mentioned in the forums, so I wouldn't think so but her friend works for the government and suggests she gets them put onto her documents.

"Apostille - a stamp that is affixed in accordance with the Regulations of the certificate on the official documents for use in other states "on the documents issued by state authorities for assurances of the authenticity of print, signature and position of the person who marked on the document. This provides recognition of the document as an official in other states."

Hi David,

For what I know,yes It's necessary to put an apostille to all the documents like the birth certificate that are gonna be needed for the Adjustment of Status; Few others suggested me to do so and that's what I did with my birth certificate few days ago. Tell her to do that,It surely won't hurt

As for Kyiv vs. Kiev... Don't know what to tell you. I personally wrote "Bucharest" for all the papers/forms I filled out in English (the Romanian name being "Bucuresti"). I think American officials make already enough mistakes (some as silly as Slovenia vs. Slovakia on green cards etc)... why take a chance?

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

(2) On the official documents should she put her address city as "Kyiv" or "Kiev". She tells me she is Ukrainian and it should be Kyiv as the official translation, however, Kyiv doesn't show up in any dictionary, so I would have her put Kiev. Whats the official word?

Thanks!

David and Irina

As far as I know, apostile is not quite necessary. I was also searching some information about that and ended up just translating my birth certificate myself. I happen to know some certified translators, so I asked one of them to put their signature and stamp for me on the translation.

As for Kiev/Kyiv - Kiev is transliteration from the Russian language, while Kyiv is from Ukrainian. So, probably, if the documents will be translated from Ukrainian, it's better to write Kyiv.

P.S. while you can search some information here, your fiancee might want to check zaokeanom.com - there is a lot of useful information about getting all the paperwork together, preparing for the interview and for American style of life. And it's all in Russian too :)

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Apostile not necessary.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The US Embassy uses Kyiv, so that's what I would go with. http://ukraine.usemb....gov/index.html I remember this becoming the official spelling a few years ago..it was Kiev before that. Further evidence that Kyiv is indeed correct:

http://www.capitalofukraine.com/name/

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks!

David and Irina

We went through Moscow so things could be different in Kyiv/Kiev (from what I can tell Kiev is more Russian while Kyiv is more Ukrainian) but we didn't get Apostilles on anything and no questions were asked. There was no divorce decree involved but we just translated the birth certificate on our own and typed it up. We had no problems. Neither of us is an official translator.

Apostilles have been necessary for translating her education documents and for obtaining citizenship for my son (Apostille on American documents for use in Russia).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks!

David and Irina

Apostille not necessary unless the Embassy Website or some other agency officially requests it. Usually it is more common for the reverse situation, when dealing with Russia, Belarus and Ukraine and for example the US Citizen wanted to convey some documents to the authorities there, they would request the Apostille on the US Documents.

Timeline

Apostille is not needed

Kiev and Kyiv are both transliterations of city names properly spelled in Cyrillic. There actually is NO "correct" way to spell them using our alphabet. You are simply matching letters to a sound.

Kee-ev (Kiev) is the Russian pronunciation/name of the name of the city. Keeve (Kyiv) is the Ukrainian pronunciation/name of the same city. Either will work.

How we ever got Mos-COW out of Mosk-va is beyond me.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The US Embassy uses Kyiv, so that's what I would go with. http://ukraine.usemb....gov/index.html I remember this becoming the official spelling a few years ago..it was Kiev before that. Further evidence that Kyiv is indeed correct:

http://www.capitalofukraine.com/name/

:lol:

The government paid for by the West and installed after the Orange Revolution made Ukrainian the "official" language and changed the "name"/pronunciation of the city to Kyiv/Keeve. Now either language is acceptable (again) and either pronunciation. When the government made Ukrainian the "official" language, OUR government chaned the name/spelling of the consulate out of respoect for the government wishes. They are diplomats, after all.

FWIW (and before Why_Me jumps on me with both feet) the original name for that territory was "Kyivian Rus" and the capital was pronounced "keeve". So Kyiv may be more "historically" correct at least long term and is actually the correct pronunciation now. It is kind of like saying "is it Leningrad or St Petersburg?"

FYI Alla's city has had four names Donetsk, Izum, Stalino and Donetsk again. :huh:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

The government paid for by the West and installed after the Orange Revolution made Ukrainian the "official" language and changed the "name"/pronunciation of the city to Kyiv/Keeve. Now either language is acceptable (again) and either pronunciation. When the government made Ukrainian the "official" language, OUR government chaned the name/spelling of the consulate out of respoect for the government wishes. They are diplomats, after all.

FWIW (and before Why_Me jumps on me with both feet) the original name for that territory was "Kyivian Rus" and the capital was pronounced "keeve". So Kyiv may be more "historically" correct at least long term and is actually the correct pronunciation now. It is kind of like saying "is it Leningrad or St Petersburg?"

FYI Alla's city has had four names Donetsk, Izum, Stalino and Donetsk again. :huh:

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russification_of_Ukraine

"Russification of Ukraine"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ems_Ukaz

"Ems Ukaz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valuev_Circular

"Valuev Circular"

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Still people, who grew up in Soviet times for some reason are less likely to have problems with the Ukrainian language, than those of my age. Weird, huh? ;)

I absolutely love the language, but before declaring the Ukrainian language the only official one, the government of Ukraine should have taken care of translating all the possible terms in Ukrainian and providing all the universities with textbooks in Ukrainian. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense... and that's actually why a lot of young Ukrainians can speak neither Ukrainian nor Russian properly.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Donetsk never has had name Izum. Before 1924 it was called Uzovka (Юзовка) after its founder John James Hughes. From 1924 until 1961 city was called Stalino. Since 1961 it's Donetsk.

K-1

10-02-2010: mailed K1 package

10-12-2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to CSC

10-16-2010: NOA1 hard copy received

03-08-2011: NOA2 e-mail received

04-13-2011: Medical

04-27-2011: K1 Visa Interview

05-11-2011: Visa delivered

05-13-2011: POE, Los Angeles

06-16-2011: Married!

AOS

07-06-2011: I-485 mailed via USPS

08-02-2011: NOA received

09-02-2011: Biometrics

10-21-2011: AOS Interview - Approved!!!

11-01-2011: GC received

... and that's actually why a lot of young Ukrainians can speak neither Ukrainian nor Russian properly.

Well, that and all that damn rap music.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Apostille is not needed

Kiev and Kyiv are both transliterations of city names properly spelled in Cyrillic. There actually is NO "correct" way to spell them using our alphabet. You are simply matching letters to a sound.

Kee-ev (Kiev) is the Russian pronunciation/name of the name of the city. Keeve (Kyiv) is the Ukrainian pronunciation/name of the same city. Either will work.

How we ever got Mos-COW out of Mosk-va is beyond me.

Maybe from the German? Moscow is Moskau in German, I believe.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.