Pure love for her

Please, I need help with a Tax complecated situation

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm the (USC), and my wife back in her country, she has a small business opened Jan last year for Physical therapy, with all expenses she didn't make no money last years. We got married at the end of last year also. I sent her W-7, she signed it and returned to me. I'm filling for my tax return now, and the tax preparer suggested if she didn't make any money we can put her as unemployed, honestly I didn't like the idea. I'm just worry if we do that, it may haunt me later in her interview and in other process.

In another note, the tax preparer said, I have to send the papers with W-7 to TX for federal then they will issue the ITEN, when I get that number that I can file for the state. Is this correct ?

Any body with the same situation, would you please advice, I really appreciate your help.

P.S: I have till Monday to send the papers to TX

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm the (USC), and my wife back in her country, she has a small business opened Jan last year for Physical therapy, with all expenses she didn't make no money last years. We got married at the end of last year also. I sent her W-7, she signed it and returned to me. I'm filling for my tax return now, and the tax preparer suggested if she didn't make any money we can put her as unemployed, honestly I didn't like the idea. I'm just worry if we do that, it may haunt me later in her interview and in other process.

In another note, the tax preparer said, I have to send the papers with W-7 to TX for federal then they will issue the ITEN, when I get that number that I can file for the state. Is this correct ?

Any body with the same situation, would you please advice, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Tell the truth...If she made money I believe it must be added when your filing taxes..

As far as state taxes I am not sure, my state we have no tax to file :unsure:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

There is nowhere on the tax forms to say employed or unemployed. If she had no income or "make no money" as you put it, then her earnings would be zero (0). There's not a separate place on the 1040 for your income and her income, they are combined. Selecting "married filing joint" would benefit you both financially. In addition to the W-7, don't forget a statement/declaration signed by both of you stating that she want's to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes. Read IRS publication 519 (especially pages 10 and 26) for more information concerning this. http://www.irs.gov/p...rs-pdf/p519.pdf

I don't have to file state taxes, but you would need her ITIN in order to file. My federal taxes have been processed and refund was direct deposited already, but I'm still uncertain where they will send my wife's ITIN number (her foreign address or address in US).

George

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Timeline

There is nowhere on the tax forms to say employed or unemployed. If she had no income or "make no money" as you put it, then her earnings would be zero (0). There's not a separate place on the 1040 for your income and her income, they are combined. Selecting "married filing joint" would benefit you both financially. In addition to the W-7, don't forget a statement/declaration signed by both of you stating that she want's to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes. Read IRS publication 519 (especially pages 10 and 26) for more information concerning this. http://www.irs.gov/p...rs-pdf/p519.pdf

I don't have to file state taxes, but you would need her ITIN in order to file. My federal taxes have been processed and refund was direct deposited already, but I'm still uncertain where they will send my wife's ITIN number (her foreign address or address in US).

George

Thanks George and Darkdacer, I really appreciate your replies

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks

I would suggest you check your state's income tax website for filing guideline especially regarding filing extension. For me, my state (Illinois) allows an automatic 6 months extension for filing taxes if you don't owe any state taxes. I am also in similar situation with regards to ITIN and what I was thinking of was to send a letter with my state returns saying that you have applied for your wife's ITIN and include a copy of the W7 form .

Timeline

I would suggest you check your state's income tax website for filing guideline especially regarding filing extension. For me, my state (Illinois) allows an automatic 6 months extension for filing taxes if you don't owe any state taxes. I am also in similar situation with regards to ITIN and what I was thinking of was to send a letter with my state returns saying that you have applied for your wife's ITIN and include a copy of the W7 form .

Well, the Tax person said I can wait till I can get the ITEN number then I can put it in my state return and send, and like you said, as long as I don't owe them anything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.