Ebunoluwa

CO not convinced of genuine relationship

42 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

[quote name=Matt :)' timestamp='1301073826' post='4564841]

At least odds are you will not get same interviewer at second interview!

know what.. odds are.. the same interviewer might be the one who conducts the interview since he/she is familiar with the case - maybe. The the consulate may have 1 or 2 people doing interviews.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

What you are saying is HISTORY! OP needs help on how to fix their current problem. She can't change the past!!!
Knowing what mistakes that were made in the past is how you fix the future.

Sorry I hit the 1 button by mistake, it should have been -1 one.

My questions are for the OP to think about what was done in the past and how it was handled so she can correct them for a better result in the future.

I know many here on VJ thinks that there is only one way to do things and it's their way, but sometimes an individual who has no vested interest in something can see potential issues that they may have over-looked. The OP can take my questions, read them and throw them in the trash if she is of the same mind set as you. That is fine, but at least she heard it and read someone elses point of view before she decides which avenue she will take.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Ok, since most of the responses you have received have been from a male prospective, I will give you a female prospective,

This is your timeline:

Met September 4, 2009: How did you'll meet? via online, or in person?

Friendship led to love...

Trip to Cyprus February 18, 2010- Took one trip to Cyprus...how long was this trip?

Petition send July 6 2010 Then 4 months later you file for a K1... have you been back to Cyprus and for how long were each visits. What investment have you'll put into this relationship beside phone calls?

This is not about age, it's about what have you'll invested in the relationship, it not all about money, have you'll talked about the future, and what's in store for both of you?

The problem is how well did he answer all of the questions and did he have confidence in answering them. Did he look the CO in the eye and did he look away when he was trying to explain his answers.

Female perspective here.

At this point I think its important for the OP to be there for the second interview.

Unfortunately age can be a big factor and in this case I think it is. For whatever reason, despite the evidence presented the CO wanted more. It sucks big time, but going over what happened before is not relevant; length of previous trips and whether they met online or in person is not going to help now because you can't change that. What they need to do now is build up more evidence between now and when they schedule the second interview so that they can present it.

I think showing good financial standings on your side may help. This will at least show that you are not doing it to for financial reasons. In fca

Not sure how this is supposed to help. Can you elaborate?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Female perspective here.

At this point I think its important for the OP to be there for the second interview.

Unfortunately age can be a big factor and in this case I think it is. For whatever reason, despite the evidence presented the CO wanted more. It sucks big time, but going over what happened before is not relevant; length of previous trips and whether they met online or in person is not going to help now because you can't change that. What they need to do now is build up more evidence between now and when they schedule the second interview so that they can present it.

You may not think it is irrelevant, but if the OP could fix or modify some of these actions or issues that I have highlighted between the time of the next visit it might prove to gain them a better result in the end. Why is it that everyone thinks only their answer is the correct one?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is mention of a 29 year age difference, but not who is older. Funny how people jump to the conclusion that the the USC female is the older.

Age may have been a factor, but difficult to comment with so little data.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Life'sjourney, I was not disagreeing with you. I was saying that some things cannot be changed at this point and not worth worrying about. She needs to focus on what she can do now to improve the outcome of the second interview.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

OP,

how did you meet?

how many times have you visited? for how long?

if I was a CO and I saw 29 years difference and heard that you met on the I-net and decided to get married after one meeting (say a week long)... I'd say convince me! too.

It is very very good that you did not get denied. It means you can fly over to Cyprus for a couple of weeks and request another interview with both of you present while you are there. The CO may not want to have an interview... but that would give her a sense that you are serious and are not going to give up.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't know you, and I don't know your age nor your spouse's age. But 29 years is a big one.

People marry for various reasons: for love, for lust, for money, for companionship, for immigration benefits. A talk show host here in Southern California, Tom Leykis, once said: girls want to get the wealthiest guy they can attract, whereas guys want to get the hottest girl they can afford. Sounds brutal but fits in most cases.

When young blond bombshell Anna Nicole Smith married her old billionaire husband J. Howard Marshall, few people believed it was based on genuine "love" (whatever that means), but for financial reasons. The heirs fought this beyond the death of both.

When the late Elizabeth Taylor married her much younger husband Larry Fortensky, again few people assumed that his motives were not genuine, but based on ulterior motives.

Hence, a large age difference is not dependent on the gender, but works both ways.

Hence, I personally don't blame an O.P. requiring a couple with a 29-year age difference to convince him or her that the relationship is genuine.

Will it be easy? I don't think so, but it comes with the territory.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am just saying form common sense (without actual knowledge). There is a good fraction of denied visas are due to the visa fraud. In this case good portion of fraudulent applications are where beneficiary from another country is paying to the petitioner. Showing high income would eliminate this possibility. Who would want to get themselves into 3-5 years ordeal just because of several thousand dollars, if they already have 6-digit income? This is just my suspicion. This would at least prove that there are no financial transactions taking place.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I also agree flying over there might be very helpful in this case.

What I don't understand is why you can't just refile the 10 pounds of evidence you already have on your hands for them to actually READ it this time. Did she not want to look at it because she immediately assumed it would be useless to her? Does that mean you can't rely on the data you already have accumulated?

One more possibility, and I've seen them here on VJ - get married and file for CR1. Although I'm sure this is your last resort as this would delay your process by a year probably.

Good luck to you. I will keep my fingers crossed, sincerely. My husband (petitioner) is 10 years older than me and it's also something I'm worried about.

USCIS Stage (147 days)

12/24/2010 - I-130 Sent

12/28/2010 - NOA1 (Receipt)

05/23/2011 - NOA2 (Approved)

NVC Stage

06-07-2011 NVC received

06-08-2011 Case # and IIN # assigned

06-09-2011 Received DS-3032/AOS bill

06-10-2011 Paid AOS Bill

06-10-2011 Returned Completed DS-3032

06-15-2011 Received I-864 Package

06-16-2011 Returned I-864 Package

06-16-2011 Received IV Bill

06-17-2011 Paid IV Bill

06-22-2011 Returned DS-230 (IV Package)

07-07-2011 Case Closed J

07-13-2011 Interview Date Assigned

US Consulate in Warsaw

08-24-2011 @ 8.45am - - > 240 days from NOA1 --> APPROVED! :-)

POE Chicago ORD --> 9.03.2011

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

CO probably did not want to look at the 10 lb of evidence because chats and call records prove that they are in daily communication, but not that they both have "proper" intentions. She wants something more solid to outweight the age factor.

I also agree flying over there might be very helpful in this case.

What I don't understand is why you can't just refile the 10 pounds of evidence you already have on your hands for them to actually READ it this time. Did she not want to look at it because she immediately assumed it would be useless to her? Does that mean you can't rely on the data you already have accumulated?

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A 29 year age difference is alot, but there is a 23 year difference between my wife and I. It was never an issue with our case and I don't think it is an issue with your case. I think the issue is that you met Sept. 2009 and filed for K-1 in July 2010. That's only 10 months and you have visited once in 18 months. The CO looks at how much time you have invested into your relationship including how much time you have spent together. From the CO's perspective, if you have spent only one visit together, then how well do you really know each other...hence show me more proof. You can chat, talk on the phone, and send emails but the CO wants to see you spend time together. Because you really learn alot about a person by spending time together.

I think the notarized letters are an excellent idea, but you also need to plan another trip to Cyprus. You definitely need to attend the next interview. I attended my wife's interview and there were some women that were denied because their fiance did not attend. You need to prove to the CO that you have invested more time into your relationship.

Good luck and maybe you will have a different CO next time.

K-1 Timeline

08-10-2007 - We first met

05-08-2009 - I proposed

12-01-2009 - 129F sent

12-04-2009 - NOA-1

12-12-2009 - NOA-1 hardcopy received

03-15-2010 - NOA-2 101 days

03-17-2010 - NVC received petition

03-18-2010 - NVC sent petition to embassy

03-20-2010 - NOA-2 hardcopy received

03-25-2010 - Embassy received petition

03-25-2010 - Embassy mailed out Packet 3

04-09-2010 - Received Packet 3 in the mail

04-12-2010 - Packet 3 faxed to embassy

06-17-2010 - INTERVIEW

06-17-2010 - VISA APPROVED!!!

07-17-2010 - POE in Miami

09-25-2010 - Wedding date!

AOS Timeline

11-03-2010 - Express mailed AOS packet via USPS

11-05-2010 - Chicago Lockbox received packet

11-18-2010 - Received notice for Biometrics appointment

12-13-2010 - Biometrics appointment

12-15-2010 - Petition transferred to CSC

01-27-2011 - Received AP and EAD card in the mail

02-07-2011 - Case transferred to National Benefits Center in Missouri from CSC

02-15-2011 - Received interview letter in the mail dated for March 22nd

03-22-2011 - AOS interview date

03-22-2011 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!

03-30-2011 - Received green card in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Thanks again everyone for your input.

As per requirement we met one time in person. To me, 10 months getting to know each other as friends and progessing to love, looks better than a one month time frame to file after meeting.I do not rush into things.

Watching the post's interview pattern flow, we assumed we had a 2 week wait for an appointment and I didn't see it as necessary to spend more time there at that time after the 5 months USCIS approval. Two weeks turned into a longer time, always thinking in a few days he will have the interview date and that is one reason I did not go.

Second reason was the embassy staff telling me emphatically "NO you don't come, we need only him at the interview" she almost shouted....after I finally requested an interview date per email and on the phone and suggested I be present. He was given a date a few days later and I was unable to make it there that quick, anyway they were so harsh about the "no you don't need to come" phone call which made me confident that all would go well. Hindsight = go anyway !

What have I invested into our relationship ? It's more like what haven't I invested. Aside from thousands of dollars, umpteen hours of sleepless nights so we could communicate online and let the web cam run, even when we cooked,cleaned, he slept or whatever had to be done. It was as though we lived together with a screen as partition just to be "near" one another.

Wedding plans and future plans were discussed and documented and submitted and then the additional evidence refused. Yes, he answered well and confidently all questions.

Our case is squeaky clean and meticulous to every T crossed and i dotted and then some.

No, I don't have a 6 figure income (who here does) and bank statements would show any shady activity. Who in their right mind would do this for money ?

What money ?!

I have WU showing my support for him on occasion for Christmas/Birthday gifts, etc.

Yes, we will definitely have the same CO.

She also stated that she believed we are daily /for hours in communication on cam/chat and phone. ( Thousands of $$$$$$ for phone bills, any shady payment for this and I would be more than in the red already as it would be like a drop in the ocean).

I will take the advice of those who suggested I be present at the next interview where we will resubmit all remaining unlooked/refused evidence plus sworn affidavits from his pastors who also know me and our relationship, plus wedding ring receit he will have purchased. I do believe as one poster suggested, she is looking for "proper intend". It was there in the communications had the CO taken the time to read it.

Age difference and only one visit is I assume the issue to overcome with more proof other than online communication proof.

I won't bore you with the details of my finances and recent hardships, storm damage, Termites, current economy for my self employed business, aging mother in my home country ( am a naturalized USC ) being my sole responsibility etc. etc... of why I was torn between another visit or not. To go or not to go...that was the question, but is no longer the question.

My focus is now to try hard to scrape the funds together and be present the next time around which I expect to be withing 1-2 weeks.

Any more items I can carry as proof besides myself and those mentioned would be appreciated.

Thank you for everyones suggestions, all were greatly appreciated and mulled over.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Your response to the input causes this reader (for one) to respect you even more than before.

The idea of going for the repeat interview is excellent. If the native consular personnel are reluctant to let you in, play the "American" card: "I'm a U.S. citizen, and this consulate is U.S. soil." However, be prepared for the possibility of a Stokes interview (separate grillings, answers compared). You may want to read the Embassy Info and Embassy Reviews for Cyprus to see whether there's a prospect of that. Nonetheless, prepare as though there will be one.

At your interview (and even as you enter the consulate, because you WILL be taped!), your body language will be crucial. If you can arrange to be in Cyprus at least a couple of days ahead of the interview, it will give you time to re-engage the "in-person" component. Also during that time, take as many photos of yourselves together as you can (in different situations and different clothing), find a place to print them out, and bring them as additional evidence.

Keep the faith, si man. :)

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.