ngant17

documentation needed at interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My fiancee has just got her 'superpacket' of paperwork to finalize the K1 visa process thru the US embassy

(actually the US Interests Section, as this is Cuba and this is not a 'normal' country as far as US diplomacy goes). It goes without saying that, at this point, we've gotten past CIS and the NVC, of course.

Question. Will we have to resubmit any evidence or proof of our relationship which was previously sent in to the CIS for the first part of the K1 process? My fiancee wants me to send more photos of us together, to bring to the interview, but I am thinking this is irrelevant, as proof of relationship has already been established at this point. I got past the RFEs and that's a done deal, so they should have this part of the K1 documentation available already.

I would think that what is more important at the interview is current financial assets, aka I-134 Affidavit of Support, ect. I don't forsee any major obstacles in this situation, as I can show sufficient financial assets to meet the 125% minimum poverty levels for the size of the family for this year and next. I am not unemployed nor do I expect to be unemployed anytime soon. Also, I forwarded to my fiancee a list of typical questions which she can expect to have to answer, and I assume she will be ready for that at the interview. So I am thinking this is the major issues to prepare for at the interview. Am I right on this? Would it be a good idea to attend the interview with my fiancee? I would prefer to save some of my money for our marriage and wedding, especially as my Cuban fiancee has relatives in Miami, which would be something I have plan for.

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

While the requisite paperwork IS necessary, I would also highly advise preparing yourself/her with as much proof of the "ongoing" relationship. as possible.

In my fiance's country (the Dominican Republic), they merely glance at the forms, but GRILL both parties, in separate rooms, about the relationship. They ask similar questions about the realtionship (# and names of siblings, the proposal story, who picked-up who at the airport, who are the other people in your pictures, when was the last time you saw each other, what did you do for his/her birthday, etc), and then compare responses. So, if you don't have to attend the interview yourself, I would definitely send a package with documentation of the "ongoing" relationship ...... phone bills, emails/letters, pictures, etc.

Edited by wanthimhere

6/29 - NEW I-129 mailed to CSC

7/21 - NOA1 issued

9/21 - finally ... my first touch!!

9/21 - NOA2 issued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Question. Will we have to resubmit any evidence or proof of our relationship which was previously sent in to the CIS for the first part of the K1 process? My fiancee wants me to send more photos of us together, to bring to the interview, but I am thinking this is irrelevant, as proof of relationship has already been established at this point. I got past the RFEs and that's a done deal, so they should have this part of the K1 documentation available already.

I'm not sure whether you're confusing proof of having met (that's filed with I-129f) with proof of relationship (needed for the interview). Anyways, your fiancee has to submit proof of ongoing relationship - add more to what you've previously sent out, if any. E-mails, pictures of you guys together, phone bills, chat logs, letters from friends/family that would be able to state that your relationship is a legitimate one.

I would think that what is more important at the interview is current financial assets, aka I-134 Affidavit of Support, ect.

I think it varies in different countries. But both are important, otherwise, they wouldn't ask for any documents/proof regarding the relationship or the ability of the sponsor to support the beneficiary so they won't be a burden to the US government.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I will have to rely a lot on my Cuban fiancee's requests, as each country is probably getting different treatments, and the overall K1 process is probably changing and evolving to one degree or another.

As much as I would prefer otherwise, Cuba has a red mark against it in the minds of certain politicians, so the government typically acts weird and unusual on anything to do with it. So what's good for other Caribbean countries, won't necessarily be true here.

If she thinks more photos are necessary, then I'll have to supply them, but OTOH earlier replies to my previous questions have claimed that lots of picts are almost mandatory, but I got by with only 1 dark and grainy pict of us together, poor photographer that I am, although I did supply other documentary evidence, such as event schedules that confirm my presence in the country at the time I claimed on form, and other secondary proof that would be fairly solid.

If she comes across as a dissident, don't grasp their reality very well myself, I'd be surprised if the thing wasn't rubber-stamped and she's sent on her way --- at least on the US side of the process. Hope it goes smoothly in any case.

I'm not sure whether you're confusing proof of having met (that's filed with I-129f) with proof of relationship (needed for the interview). Anyways, your fiancee has to submit proof of ongoing relationship - add more to what you've previously sent out, if any. E-mails, pictures of you guys together, phone bills, chat logs, letters from friends/family that would be able to state that your relationship is a legitimate one.

I would think that what is more important at the interview is current financial assets, aka I-134 Affidavit of Support, ect.

I think it varies in different countries. But both are important, otherwise, they wouldn't ask for any documents/proof regarding the relationship or the ability of the sponsor to support the beneficiary so they won't be a burden to the US government.

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

ngant, as per your post above, I believe that you're a bit confused as to what you should submit at this point. What you should've submitted - and what you have submitted when you filed for I-129f was proof of having met within the previous 2 years. That's where air tickets, passports showing stamps, credit card bills and stuff like that would be important. Now USCIS is done with your petition and you need to submit evidence of ongoing relationship. That's why I mentioned e-mails, chat logs, pictures showing the 2 of you, letters from family members or friends that could attest that you are in a legitimate relationship.

From VJ's guide:

Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present.

Even if you have submitted proof of ongoing relationship to the USCIS, you'd need to resubmit it - and hopefully, add even more evidence - so the consular office can take a look at them.

The consulate doesn't give us a list of what kind of documents would suffice to prove the legitimacy of one's relationship, so it's up to the beneficiary and the petitioner to come up with documents that would serve that purpose.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Ngant,

They will want to see proof of the relationship. My Cuban fiance had his interview on August 8. He too asked me for the additional photos, and evidence of our meeting in Argentina like the lease agreement from the apartment I rented and photos of our time together there. It was sensational at the time but I'm glad we took that pic in front of Evita Perone's grave!!

Your fiancee should have a copy of the entire I-129 packet as this is what I supplied Salvador. Additional pix, letters, phone cards, copies of NOA 1&2 and whatever else she needs to feel confident going into the interview. You know what I like to say, It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

When she gets to USINT early in the morning of the interview, she will drop off all of her documents along with the passport. She will come back early afternoon and pick up the passport with the visa in it and the sealed envelope. Sometime during the morning/afternoon she will be interviewed and from what I understand it isn't that bad.

So again, whatever she needs to feel confident at the interview should be supplied.

Good luck to you both!!

Toria and Salvador

Met Salvador on internet dating website Dreammates.com April 2002

We decided to meet in person Buenos Aires, Argentina August 2002

1st K1 petition approved w/ interview date March 2004

Didn't attend interview, we decided Salvador should first return to Cuba

Petitioners First Name: Toria

Beneficiaries First Name: Salvador

Visa Type: K1

Beneficiary's Country: Cuba

Service Center: VSC

Embassy: U.S. Interests Section, Havana, Cuba

Date I-129F Sent (mailed USPS Overnight) : 12/18/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Date) : 12/21/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Notice Date) : 12/29/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Snail Mail) : 1/5/06

Touched! 1/4/06

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 1/31/06 34 days!!

Date Package Received By NVC: 2/3/06

Date Package Left From NVC: 2/9/06

Date Received By Consulate : 2/21/06

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) : 2/22/06

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) : 4/28/06

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 5/9/06

Interview Date : 8/8/06

Date Visa Received : 8/8/06

Date Applied for Cuban Exit Visa : 8/10/06

Date Rec Cuban Exit Visa : 2/6/07

Date of US Entry : 2/7/07

Date of Wedding : 2/8/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.