crow_dio

Age difference a problem?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

First, I want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. It is an amazing resource. I plan on contributing everything I can also as I go through the K1 Application process.

My question to you all is about the difference in age between myself and my fiance. I am 27 and she is 17 (will be 18 in October). Will this be a negative factor in the acceptance of my application?

A little background: She is from Thailand (which the current news media isn't helping). I am in Thailand and we have been staying together for the past 3 months. I met her in March, returned to the US, and then returned to Thailand to get engaged and be with her. I plan on staying with her here until we can go to the US. I have plenty of proof of having met, ongoing relationship, etc.

She will be 18 by the time we were to get married or even receive the visa, but I wanted to know if anyone thought there was any reason why I couldn't get the ball rolling now? Also, I was worried that her signatures on the forms may not be accepted because she is under 18 and I should wait until she turns 18 to get her to fill out the paperwork. It is very difficult to work in Thailand and it is in our best interest to get back to the US ASAP so I want to file the application ASAP.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

In your case, there shouldn't be a problem as long as your fiancee is of "legal age" to get married. Refer to the similar topics at the bottom of this thread.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

As long as you can prove your relationship and she is legally able to marry, there should not be a problem with a petiton.

It's only 10 years. If you were 67 it might look questionable! There's 15 years between me and my fiance and as long as you guys are happy it's no one else's business.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
As long as you can prove your relationship and she is legally able to marry, there should not be a problem with a petiton.

It's only 10 years. If you were 67 it might look questionable! There's 15 years between me and my fiance and as long as you guys are happy it's no one else's business.

It's not so much the age difference...it's that right now, here in the US she isn't of legal age to marry. One has to be 18. The USC would need to wait til October or after before filing.

Age doesn't seem to affect petitions...I am 14 years older than my husband.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Does the USCIS policy state whether you should be legally able to marry when filing or legally able to marry once entering with K1 visa. That may be worth considering.

You're so lucky you two are together whilst going through this process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
A fiancé(e) is a person who is engaged or contracted to be married. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the state in the United States where the marriage will take place.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_2994.html

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Other Timeline
Does the USCIS policy state whether you should be legally able to marry when filing or legally able to marry once entering with K1 visa. That may be worth considering.

You're so lucky you two are together whilst going through this process.

Legal to marry when filing.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.