Chris M

Russian TV Channels or TV Websites?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys and girls. I am curious to see what you all do for Russian entertainment for your loved ones. Tanya was asking me about Russian TV last night, and I see Dish Network and Direct TV both have Russian channels, but unfortunately my digital cable provider does not.

Are there any Russian tv websites you all use? I could patch the internet feed through the computer to the tv which would be perfect. Are there any pay sites that charge for a monthly subscription for Russian shows so I do not have to change my setup, and go to Direct TV or Dish? she said not to worry about it, but I think watching Russian shows would help her out a little.

And....Tanya got here this past Friday, and things are going great so far. Thanks for the help all.

Hey guys and girls. I am curious to see what you all do for Russian entertainment for your loved ones. Tanya was asking me about Russian TV last night, and I see Dish Network and Direct TV both have Russian channels, but unfortunately my digital cable provider does not.

Are there any Russian tv websites you all use? I could patch the internet feed through the computer to the tv which would be perfect. Are there any pay sites that charge for a monthly subscription for Russian shows so I do not have to change my setup, and go to Direct TV or Dish? she said not to worry about it, but I think watching Russian shows would help her out a little.

And....Tanya got here this past Friday, and things are going great so far. Thanks for the help all.

I don't know of any good websites, but I'll be interested to hear others' replies. Comcast has a Russian channel, and we subscribed for a few months, but most of it is just ancient Soviet ####### and dubbed Mexican novellas. There wasn't really anything modern at all, so we just canceled it.

And congratulations on Tanya's arrival!!

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Alla watches a bunch on the Internet. I'll get the links.

Just now coming up for air? !!!!!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Glad all is going well, Chris!

Anna entertains herself with VKontakte videos alot (Tanya should know about Vkontakte) and Youtube also has a lot of Russian uploaders. You can also find some Russian movie & TV show torrents to download. If you're lucky you can find these Russian shows with English subtitles.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Congrats Chris !

We use Directv and have their russian package ..... 7 or 8 channels and runs about $45 extra a month. Olga has met a russian lady and her son ( both US citizens now ) and they have something off the internet that is considerably cheaper ( in fact, this weekend the son is suppose to call me and give the info ..... I'll post again when he calls ) ... and as AK said kontakte off the mail.ru website has ALOT of stuff !

I-129F sent 01/27/2010
Rcv'd CSC 01/29/2010
NOA1 notice date 02/01/2010
NOA1 rcv'd 02/08/2010
" Touched " 03/04/2010
email notice APPROVED! 03/04/2010
touched 03/08/2010
hardcopy NOA2 rcv'd 03/10/2010
NVC email pkt enroute 03/29/2010
CIS touched again?! 04/01/2010
NVC RECEIVED ! 04/09/2010
NVC sent to embassy 04/15/2010
Embassy received 04/22/2010
Interview date 06/11/2010
APPROVED !!!! 06/11/2010
POE Chicago 07/22/2010
MARRIED !!!!!!! 07/27/2010
AOS,EAD,AP sent 10/01/2010
Rcv'd Chicago lockbox 10/04/2010
NOA rcv'd 10/18/2010
Bio appt. letter rcv'd 11/03/2010
Bio appt. 11/26/2010
Interview letter rcv'd 12/08/2010
Interview appt. 01/11/2011
Email EAD/AP approved 12/14/2010
EAD card arrival 12/20/2010
Re-scheduled Interview 03/01/2011
APPROVED !!!!!!!! 03/01/2011
Green Card ARRIVED !!! 03/11/2011
I-751 R.O.C. sent on 12/05/2012
I-751 packet delivered by USPS to CSC 12/06/2012
check cashed 12/10/2012
Rcv'd NOA 12/10/2012 ... dated 12/06/2012
12/17/2012 Bio letter rcv'd ... Bio appt. 01/02/2013
Biometrics completed 01/02/2013

APPROVED 05/24/2013

Letter rcv'd 06/01/2013

Card arrived 06/20/2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Comcast doesn't offer their Russian programming in our area and Alla would rather keep the TV programs and movies in English since she wants to improve those skills more.

She did bring a bunch of Russian language DVDs from last trip but most are Dora and Diego versions for Leonid.

I'll get those sites she uses on the Internet by the weekend or so.

If she wants, Alla can call her, if she wants to talk....or Skype. She does that a lot with other FSU ladies over here.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

thanks all. I really appreciate it.

--Brad, thanks for the site. I'll check it out tonight with Tanya.

--Shawn I forgot about torrents. I'll take a look to see what I can find.

--Bainbridge, please let me know about the internet site when you get it. I appreciate it.

--Phil, I will talk to Tanya tonight about talking with Alla through Skype. She has been online all week with friends, and family, so I am sure she would be excited to hear from someone who is living in the US, and has more experience living here.

Again, thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

For Russian programs via the internet, I recommend WorldStreamTV:

http://www.worldstreamtv.com

A large number of Russian channels to choose from. You can watch them live, you can time-shift them to watch entire schedules on a delayed basis, you can record individual programs for playback at a later time. They automatically record and archive many popular programs and specials so that you don't have to. You also have a selection of hundreds of different Russian movies to watch on demand, as well as access to a large number of streaming radio stations.

The quality is excellent (assuming you have adequate bandwidth) and the total package is $16 a month or $10 a month without the recorder package.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We did not do the Russian channels. I told my wife, "this is 'merica. Speak American."

After she started working I told her she was free to pay for whatever channels she wanted. So far, we have no Russian TV in our house. She is semi-active on the internetz and orders quite a few DVDs from her buddies back home.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I subscribed to the Russian channels offered on UVERSE. My wife watched them for a few days, but then stopped. After a few months of her not watching, I cancelled the channels. For six months she didn't notice their absence -- and then I got rid of UVERSE entirely and started using Hulu and Netflix. She doesn't appear to miss the Russian programming at all.

Is there Russian programming on Hulu? We have a subscription, I haven't seen any. Netflix has some Russian stuff, but the selection is pretty small and much of it is ancient.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We talked a lot in the beginning about getting some Russian/Ukrainian channels. These days, she says she doesn't want them anymore. At some point she just got comfortable with English and says she feels completely at home now being an American.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.