iamnik

Can you travel outside of the US with Conditional Green Card during 90 days filing period?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I currently have a conditional 2 yr greencard. My card will expire Feb 5 2011.

I'm supposed to file to remove conditions in November 7 2011 but I've planned to travel outside of the US from October 12 to November 22.

I was wondering if I could apply just after my trip. Would that be okay?

Would my conditional greed card be sufficient for my re-entry to the US if I didn't file the I-751 before? I just heard someone say that you should do it early in the 90 day window.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its past Feb 5th 2011.. Did you mix up the dates?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What kind of visa did you come in for? K1? Your timeline doesn't add up. You said your 2-year conditional visa expired Feb 5, 2011? you should have filed for removal of conditions before your card expiration. It's already past that date now.

I currently have a conditional 2 yr greencard. My card will expire Feb 5 2011.

I'm supposed to file to remove conditions in November 7 2011 but I've planned to travel outside of the US from October 12 to November 22.

I was wondering if I could apply just after my trip. Would that be okay?

Would my conditional greed card be sufficient for my re-entry to the US if I didn't file the I-751 before? I just heard someone say that you should do it early in the 90 day window.

Thank you.

------- @>-@>-@>--------

AOS

Jul 23, 2008 ---> Mailed AOS, EAD and AP package

July 27, 2008 ---> check cleared

Jul 29, 2008 ---> NOA Date

Aug 2, 2008 ---> received confirmation mail for AOS, EAD and AP

Aug 9, 2008 ---> received biometrics appointment letter

Aug 21, 2008 ---> BIOMETRICS schedule at 3 pm

Aug 12, 2008 ---> took Biometrics in advance as a walk in

Aug 12, 2008 ---> touched

Aug 18, 2008 ---> I-485 notice of transfer to CSC

Sept 23, 2008 ---> touched

Nov 18, 2008 ---> GC RECEIVED!!!

EAD

Sept 30, 2008 ---> Card production ordered <expect to receive within 30 days>

Oct 11, 2008 ---> EAD received

AP

Sept 30, 2008 ---> AP approved <NOA mailed>

Oct 10, 2008 ---> AP received

ROC

Oct 11, 2010 ---> Mailed ROC packet

Oct 12, 2010 ---> Signed for and received by destination

Oct 14, 2010 ---> Money order cashed

Oct 18, 2010 ---> NOA1 received in mail

Nov 15, 2010 ---> Biometrics and fingerprinting appointment

Jan 28, 2011 ---> ROC approved

Jan 31, 2011 ---> Card mailed out

Feb 2, 2011 ---> Card received in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What kind of visa did you come in for? K1? Your timeline doesn't add up. You said your 2-year conditional visa expired Feb 5, 2011? you should have filed for removal of conditions before your card expiration. It's already past that date now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You'll be fine. Just be sure to keep track of all trips out of the US for more than 24 hours. They ask about that when you file for citizenship.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm concerned cause I heard someone had problem when re-entry into the US with the conditional green card less than 90 days before expiration date.

You "heard"?.... Many people have traveled without incident on an expired green card with the one year extension paper....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You "heard"?.... Many people have traveled without incident on an expired green card with the one year extension paper....

Just curious... would you travel with the original extension letter or a copy?

Our Visa Journey

07/29/07 ---- Mailed I-129F

08/25/07 --- Check finally cashed (8/27 I should be able to see the R number on the back).

08/27/07 --- NOA1 Arrives from CSC and I create my account profile on the USCIS.Gov web-site (the clock starts)!!!

02/05/08 --- After 191 days NOA2 (Approval) comes at last!!!!

2/14/08 --- NVC sends letter saying that it's on the way to the US Embassy in Bangkok

2/25/08 --- She receives Packet 3 from the Embassy

3/29/08 --- She receives Packet 4 with interview date (July 11th).

3/30/08 --- I e-mail the Embassy asking to make the date earlier because I've already got our tickets for June 13th!!!

5/6/08 --- No help from the Embassy. Rebooked tickets and vacation till September.

5/21/08 --- Embassy calls her and moves interview to May 27th!!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!

9/21/08 --- POE San Francisco!!!!

12/8/08 --- Married!!!!

12/15/08 --- Mail AOS + AP + EAD package to Chicago

12/28/08 --- Come back from vacation and find AOS/AP/EAD NOA 1 and Bio App notices in the mailbox!!!

1/13/09 --- Bio Appt

4/22/09 --- AOS Interview "APPROVED"!!!

3/04/2011 --- OUR BABY IS BORN... We have a son!!!!!

3/10/2011 --- Mail I-751 application to lift conditions on residency

3/12/2011 --- I-751 Package received by CSC

3/14/2011 --- NOA 1

3/21/2011 --- NOA 2 (Biometrics Appt 4/18/2011)

5/27/2011 --- ROC Approved. 10 Year Green Card arrived 6/04/2011

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So anyone on conditional permanent resident status can travel outside of the US for like a month without need for AP, assuming the conditional greencard will "expire" in 2013?

Thanks,

prep.mac

Filed: Other Timeline

The Green Card expires when it says it expires. You can enter the US with a Green Card that expires the same day. That's the whole idea of an expiration date.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 2 weeks later...

The Green Card expires when it says it expires. You can enter the US with a Green Card that expires the same day. That's the whole idea of an expiration date.

Thank you so much. This is the answer I've been looking for. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.