leith@Ievgeniia

Mother-in-law

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everybody!

Just wondering... I've read a lot about only USC can apply for bringing family member to USA. Anything changed? Or we still should wait until my wife become USC? Thanks

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everybody!

Just wondering... I've read a lot about only USC can apply for bringing family member to USA. Anything changed? Or we still should wait until my wife become USC? Thanks

Actually a legal resident, which your wife will be after she has a green card, can also petition a family member BUT the period of time it takes is so long that for a family based resident, it is faster to wait until she is a citizen in less than four years and then petition her mother.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello everybody!

no change, nor will it change. it has been like this forever.

residents cannot petition for parents, siblings or married children.

only USC can.

residents can ONLY file for spouses, and unmarried children.

so your wife will have to wait until she becomes a USC.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I have one more question... We already have sad experience about guest visa. So I'm thinking, we'll have our first kid at the beginning of november. Will it help with bringing her mom here for a visit? Thanks

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Timeline

I have one more question... We already have sad experience about guest visa. So I'm thinking, we'll have our first kid at the beginning of november. Will it help with bringing her mom here for a visit? Thanks

First I want to say that I was incorrect about an LPR being able to petition her mother. She will have to be a citizen for that.

The main concern with the visitor visa is if she will convince them she has compelling reasons to return to Ukraine, not much else will make any difference. If you are expecting some "compassion factor" as in "oh let the poor old lady go see her grand-child" let me just say that most stress in life is caused by unrealisitc expectations.

Actually having a daughter and grand-child in the US may work against her, given the Ukrainian traditions of grandparents and especially Bahbuskas, being involved in grandchildren's lives. I sometimes think Ukrainian women only live to be Bahbushkas!

She will have to show solid evidence she will return.

Gary And Alla

I keep reading on VJ (and have been told by some one with personal experience) that getting the MIL a Schengen visa, or helping her travel to the Euro Zone before applying for a visa to the US is helpful.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Actually having a daughter and grand-child in the US may work against her, given the Ukrainian traditions of grandparents and especially Bahbuskas, being involved in grandchildren's lives. I sometimes think Ukrainian women only live to be Bahbushkas!

She will have to show solid evidence she will return.

What's wrong with that? If our child half ukrainian, then he should know some of the ukrainian traditions.

In my wife's case when she was trying to get guest visa 2 times, nobody even looked at her stacks of papers-evidens

I keep reading on VJ (and have been told by some one with personal experience) that getting the MIL a Schengen visa, or helping her travel to the Euro Zone before applying for a visa to the US is helpful.

Thanks ,that's something we should try

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

I second this. We're sending my MIL to Finland this summer, and possibly again in the winter (she has friends there) to prep for a visit next summer.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

What's wrong with that? If our child half ukrainian, then he should know some of the ukrainian traditions.

In my wife's case when she was trying to get guest visa 2 times, nobody even looked at her stacks of papers-evidens

Thanks ,that's something we should try

Nothing right or wrong about it, just a fact. They are looking for compelling reasons for her to return.

People often think that they need a compelling to visit...they do not. Going to Disney World is enough. She needs compelling reasons to RETURN. A daughter and grandchild in the USA is NOT a compelling reason for Bahbuska to return to Ukraine.

You are free to try as many times as you like, as for me, I hope she gets the visa.

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I tend to agree that the baby thing would be more negative when it comes to visa approval than positive. It gives her more reason to overstay her trip. I would suggest when you apply to be very specific about travel plans. When my MIL applied for her first visa to visit us the lady in front of her went to the window and the CO asked why she wanted to go to America. The lady responded that her daugther just had a baby and she wanted to go and help her care for the baby. The CO then asked how long she planned to stay. The woman responded a month or two, maybe longer. Her visa application was denied.

My MIL then went to the window and was asked why she wanted to go the the USA. She said she wanted to visit her daughter and son in Law. She was then asked how long she would stay. She responed that she would be leaving June 6th and returning July 7th. The visa was approved.

The more you can demonstrate a reason to return the better the chances of approval are. Having family, property and a job to return to are things they look at hard. Being specific about travel plans is also good but of course never buy the tickets until you have the visa.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.