pilang

GC holder and wanted to apply a US citizenship

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am a green card holder for 7 years now, and i am planning of filing my citizenship, by the way I came here as an immigrant visa through my mom. My dilemma here is that last 2008 i got convicted of a misdemeanor for a domestic violence, and I would be able to expunge my record this coming june exactly after 3 years of under summary probation. Now my question is that, If i will succesfully expunge my name and erase my records do i have to tell the USCIS that i was convicted of a misdemeanor? What I am afraid of if i will tell them about it is that they might deport me or something. I am not sure if that expungement thingi will totally erase my record and that even the USCIS can't even find out about it. I've been thinking about this lately and it makes me stress. What should I do? Is there any lawyer out here? Or anyone who has any knowledge or the same situation that can give me ideas about what to do.Please help. Any advice, ideas, is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Pls ask me any questions if you want more info or if i am missing some info that u need to know.

pilang

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You declare it.

There are lots of Immigration Lawyers.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello everyone. I am a green card holder for 7 years now, and i am planning of filing my citizenship, by the way I came here as an immigrant visa through my mom. My dilemma here is that last 2008 i got convicted of a misdemeanor for a domestic violence, and I would be able to expunge my record this coming june exactly after 3 years of under summary probation. Now my question is that, If i will succesfully expunge my name and erase my records do i have to tell the USCIS that i was convicted of a misdemeanor? What I am afraid of if i will tell them about it is that they might deport me or something. I am not sure if that expungement thingi will totally erase my record and that even the USCIS can't even find out about it. I've been thinking about this lately and it makes me stress. What should I do? Is there any lawyer out here? Or anyone who has any knowledge or the same situation that can give me ideas about what to do.Please help. Any advice, ideas, is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Pls ask me any questions if you want more info or if i am missing some info that u need to know.

pilang

You likely will not get deported - worst thing is you will be denied citizenship and you can seek to renew your green card and you will have the burden of proof for the act/s of violence that you choose to accept. You should .. you must tell USCIS of this information - hello you've been a resident for 7 years shouldn't you know this...? That's one reason to be denied - the only part the lawyer can - maybe help you in is the "moral character" however if you have not been all the way good then that too can go against you. Filing taxes, paying child support etc.

Best to you ...go and find a lawyer and hope you have learned from this to avoid unnecessary stress.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Please think before you comment on such major issues. I appreciate it will not be your #### on the line.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Seems like the USCIS wants this information going back from the time you were born, is a misdemeanor, should submit certified court records that they require. Major crime is in not reporting it and so much the nature of the arrest or whatever, its not reporting it that can lead to deportation. You have to be 100% honest in your application.

I can appreciate domestic violence as was born to a very abusive father, but I just grew a foot taller than he was, so he didn't dare bother me anymore. Sure you have a good reason, but still have to be 100% with the USCIS. Best of luck.

Filed: Other Timeline

Of course you'd have to disclose it. They also ask for the outcome, which in your case is positive. You won't be deported for this; the worst case would be that they deny you citizenship, but even that is anybody's guess.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

No doubt it will have to be disclosed with certified court records. If the IO denies your case, have the option to take the USCIS to court. Domestic violence occurs in many different forms. Like one of your kids taking a toy from another. In your case, someone contacted the police, either within your home or a neighbor. Police can just come over and say cool down, or even make an arrest. We are not getting into these details, but the range can be quite extreme.

More than likely the last thing on your mind was facing the USCIS with these issues, that was firmly implanted in my wifes' mind when driving, even a traffic violation can cause problems or delays. Apparently not in my stepdaughters mind when driving as a minor, don't know what she was thinking, but managed to acquire two traffic violations that caused some minor delays. Nevertheless, had to be brought up during her interview. May even find some sympathy if this incident occurred as a minor.

pilang

Kabayan musta I recommend you the best thing to do Consult a lawyer related to Immigration Case to whom you trust I suggest you ask for a record in regards of your offense even if your names was totally expunge from their system The scenario here when IO might ask you about your offense you never know. for the sake of your integrity and your profilation we must be honest Esp like this Case Getting Citizenship was not a joke for them."the worst part if you are not telling the truth or you dont tell them the truth then later on they found out that all was not true US law Act of citizenship have a right to revoked or taken away the rights until this person is not entirely renounce As US citizen through naturalized.Gather all your documents for your Interview Including your Offense Record. goodluck

THank you everyone....I will consult a lawyer about this matter too but no matter what i will be honest with the USCIS. DOes anyone knows any immigration lawyer that doesnt cost much for a consultation?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

THank you everyone....I will consult a lawyer about this matter too but no matter what i will be honest with the USCIS. DOes anyone knows any immigration lawyer that doesnt cost much for a consultation?

check the yellow pages as many will offer a FREE consultation.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Never had good luck in recommending an attorney, dentist, or a doctor, what was good for me, never was good for them. First sign of a bad attorney is spending that consultation in hearing how great they are, walk out. Showing genuine concern for your problem and how to deal with it is a good sign.

Can't answer your question as to whether you even need an attorney. domestic violence occurs within the confines of a family, a culprit and a victim, the gravity of the situation, injuries and the like or just yelling. Had that with my ex-wife, a good reason why she is an ex picking on my kids. One punch from me could have stopped that, but then I would be in deep trouble, so called the police, but normally try to avoid that. Sometimes you just can't. Really had to step in when my home started to get wrecked.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

certain posts have been removed at the OP's request along with post quoting the removed material. Separate material from the removed quote is returned to the thread here:

The instructions are CUT and DRY... then you will say that if it is expunged it is expunged ... that's not to uscis - and so they but "ever" in bold. So to answer the question as he was told above.. you put that you had a record if you want a chance of being close to an approval .. by not putting the requested information that you have knowledge of is not showing that have morals.

best of luck to you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.