OkieGuitarist

A Few "Odds and Ends" Questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, All.

This is my first post. I have read a lot of informative posts, and I am grateful for that, because I would be completely lost without this site. There is an immigration lawyer that wanted to charge $2500 (not including all filing fees), so I am really wanting to do this solo. (With help from VJ members, of course!)

Basically, here's my story:

I am getting married to my Slovak fiancee in late June. We're having the marriage in Slovakia, and I am going to start on getting the visa paperwork started as soon as I return. I have read conflicting reports of the availability of a K3 visa, so I think my best (or maybe, only?) option is the CR-1. But I have a few questions about this.

1. On this site's guide, it says I need "Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage". Since we will be newlyweds, we obviously won't have joint property, common children, etc. But according to this thread here on the site, the (translated) marriage certificate, wedding photos, e-mails between us, phone bills, and the like should be sufficient. It seems that trying to get affidavits from witnesses and/or family members to the wedding is a bit pointless. I have several photos of me with her and her family in Slovakia as well as her in America, but don't know if that would be helpful or just unnecessary.

2. When is she required to take her medical examination? I know she will need to bring this paperwork to the interview, but will the consulate advise her of a particular doctor she would need to see beforehand, or does she go to her regular doctor, and get a general physical? (Silly question, I know. But I'd rather ask a silly question, than find out too late that we were supposed to do something a particular way and we chose the exact opposite!)

3. After the interview, will she get the I-551 stamp that same day or is that not typically not the case? Reading this thread, it seems that this is actually not typical. So, if she does not get the stamp, do they just mail her a green card to her home in Slovakia? That doesn't seem right, since it seems she would get that AFTER she enters the US. So when exactly does the I-551 stamp get done? (I do know she would need to arrive in the US no later than six months after the interview approval)

Sorry for the length of the post. I have been trying to find info, but sometimes, even after the info is explained, a new question is raised in my head!

Thanks very much in advance!

Take care,

Eric

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi, All.

This is my first post. I have read a lot of informative posts, and I am grateful for that, because I would be completely lost without this site. There is an immigration lawyer that wanted to charge $2500 (not including all filing fees), so I am really wanting to do this solo. (With help from VJ members, of course!)

I am getting married to my Slovak fiancee in late June. We're having the marriage in Slovakia, and I am going to start on getting the visa paperwork started as soon as I return. I have read conflicting reports of the availability of a K3 visa, so I think my best (or maybe, only?) option is the CR-1. But I have a few questions about this.

1. On this site's guide, it says I need "Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage". Since we will be newlyweds, we obviously won't have joint property, common children, etc. But according to this thread here on the site, the (translated) marriage certificate, wedding photos, e-mails between us, phone bills, and the like should be sufficient. It seems that trying to get affidavits from witnesses and/or family members to the wedding is a bit pointless. I have several photos of me with her and her family in Slovakia as well as her in America, but don't know if that would be helpful or just unnecessary.

2. When is she required to take her medical examination? I know she will need to bring this paperwork to the interview, but will the consulate advise her of a particular doctor she would need to see beforehand, or does she go to her regular doctor, and get a general physical? (Silly question, I know. But I'd rather ask a silly question, than find out too late that we were supposed to do something a particular way and we chose the exact opposite!)

3. After the interview, will she get the I-551 stamp that same day or is that not typically not the case? Reading this thread, it seems that this is actually not typical. So, if she does not get the stamp, do they just mail her a green card to her home in Slovakia? That doesn't seem right, since it seems she would get that AFTER she enters the US. So when exactly does the I-551 stamp get done? (I do know she would need to arrive in the US no later than six months after the interview approval)

Sorry for the length of the post. I have been trying to find info, but sometimes, even after the info is explained, a new question is raised in my head!

Thanks very much in advance!

Take care,

Eric

1. Have affidavits from people who witnessed the wedding, also your wedding certificate which must be translated and notarized. Photos I included and I aslo had documentation from the consulate where I had to fill out a statement that I was free to wed...When you are in Slovakia have her sign the documents of I-130 this will also save time...Take a W-7 form and have her sign also... these are for taxes when you file married and joint next year...

The other question s I can't answer since I am not at these stages yet... I still waiting on my NOA2....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. The extended lists of evidence for bonafide marriage are generally more applicable in situations when the couple have been married for a while. You are correct in your assessment - a newlywed couple can not generally amass a large collection of such evidence. What you have described, in my understanding, will suffice. The photos will certainly not hurt. I would include them if I were you.

2. Generally speaking, the consulate will send the beneficiary a packet of information that will include information about which doctors are permissible for the immigration medical. In most countries, the list of doctors authorized and recognized by the US consulate to conduct immigration medicals is very short. Her family doctor will almost certainly not be among them. As for the timing, most people have the medical, at most, within a few weeks immediately prior to the interview, sometimes only a few days prior, the day before, on the same day or even the day after.

3. She will receive a visa in her passport and a sealed packet of papers, which she must not open herself. When she arrives at a US airport, they will take her into secondary inspection. There they will take her paperwork, and there she will receive an I-551 stamp in her passport. Her physical green card will be mailed to the US address she gives them within a few weeks.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

1. The extended lists of evidence for bonafide marriage are generally more applicable in situations when the couple have been married for a while. You are correct in your assessment - a newlywed couple can not generally amass a large collection of such evidence. What you have described, in my understanding, will suffice. The photos will certainly not hurt. I would include them if I were you.

2. Generally speaking, the consulate will send the beneficiary a packet of information that will include information about which doctors are permissible for the immigration medical. In most countries, the list of doctors authorized and recognized by the US consulate to conduct immigration medicals is very short. Her family doctor will almost certainly not be among them. As for the timing, most people have the medical, at most, within a few weeks immediately prior to the interview, sometimes only a few days prior, the day before, on the same day or even the day after.

3. She will receive a visa in her passport and a sealed packet of papers, which she must not open herself. When she arrives at a US airport, they will take her into secondary inspection. There they will take her paperwork, and there she will receive an I-551 stamp in her passport. Her physical green card will be mailed to the US address she gives them within a few weeks.

Wow! Between darkdancer333 and HeatDeath, I think all my questions have been answered clearly and quickly!! Thanks very much to both of you!!

Including affidavits is a good idea, in particular when it is a young marriage with no other proof. Ideally get something from a US citizen, one of your family members for example, just briefly stating that they have know of your relationship for a long time and mentioning contact they have had with your fiancee.

Generally, the Embassy keeps the passport then mails it to her Slovakian address with the visa in it. (About a week after the interview.) The she travels to the US and everything HeatDeath said :)

Your questions are region specific, especially the medical question. You either need a Slovakian to reply or you need to look on the website of the US Embassy in Slovakia. Every country has different processes for the medical, and some countries are not good at informing you what to do in a timely manner. So it is a good idea to find out what the case is in Slovakia :-)

OK, here is the information about the medical: http://slovakia.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-exam.html There is only one physician whom she must go to. She will probably do this between 2.5 and 6 weeks before the interview :-)

Including affidavits is a good idea, in particular when it is a young marriage with no other proof. Ideally get something from a US citizen, one of your family members for example, just briefly stating that they have know of your relationship for a long time and mentioning contact they have had with your fiancee.

Generally, the Embassy keeps the passport then mails it to her Slovakian address with the visa in it. (About a week after the interview.) The she travels to the US and everything HeatDeath said :)

Your questions are region specific, especially the medical question. You either need a Slovakian to reply or you need to look on the website of the US Embassy in Slovakia. Every country has different processes for the medical, and some countries are not good at informing you what to do in a timely manner. So it is a good idea to find out what the case is in Slovakia :-)

OK, here is the information about the medical: http://slovakia.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/medical-exam.html There is only one physician whom she must go to. She will probably do this between 2.5 and 6 weeks before the interview :-)

JoannaV , you rock!! Thanks very much for the info. You just saved my fiancee and I a lot of headaches and tears! I just KNEW that this was the right forum to ask these questions!! Thanks again!

Take care,

Eric

Hi, All.

I was a newlywed too so I didn't have proof of joint property/bank accounts/etc.

If both of you have life insurance policies (or pension plans, etc.), you could each amend your policies to make each other the beneficiary. I brought my amended life insurance to my interview and the Immigration officer was more interested in it that in photos, affidavits, phone bills, chat printouts, e-mails, joint credit card accounts and travel documents. I also brought my husband's joint tax return transcript. The IO actually spent several minutes reading through my policy, a few seconds looking at the joint tax return, a few seconds looking at photos (which he asked me to just hold up against the glass window) and zero seconds at affidavits/phone bills/chat printouts/e-mails/credit card statements/travel documents.

I was a newlywed too so I didn't have proof of joint property/bank accounts/etc.

If both of you have life insurance policies (or pension plans, etc.), you could each amend your policies to make each other the beneficiary. I brought my amended life insurance to my interview and the Immigration officer was more interested in it that in photos, affidavits, phone bills, chat printouts, e-mails, joint credit card accounts and travel documents. I also brought my husband's joint tax return transcript. The IO actually spent several minutes reading through my policy, a few seconds looking at the joint tax return, a few seconds looking at photos (which he asked me to just hold up against the glass window) and zero seconds at affidavits/phone bills/chat printouts/e-mails/credit card statements/travel documents.

Hi, Armenia!

Thanks very much! That makes a lot of sense, since if somebody is going to put another person on their life insurance, that's pretty big proof that the relationship is bona fide and legitimate! Since I will be putting her on my life insurance policy after the wedding anyways, I will go ahead and make sure I get evidence of that on a print out.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.