ThomKimQC

Men Your Thoughts On Filipina

140 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I doubt it is jealousy that's making her cringe.

My wife stated / posed in an earlier post. How would an American feel about being referred to as ..."my American".

Asawa ko and I recognize the phrase, "my Filipina" , is probably being used as a term of endearment.

(but) Ask yourself the q....if you were being referred to as "my American"...that's OK with you? I'm sure it would be OK with me as long as used with appropriate connotation and as a term of endearment. (but) Should it be OK?

(another but) Giving a nod to the gentler sex, and recognizing the historical victimization of women being treated as property, objectified and subordinate to men.... I wonder if there is not some (albeit diluted) version of this victimization when referring to a woman with a cultural label. Couldn't this also be a way of objectifying a woman and at the same time...a little bit of racism mixed in the drink?

Michael

I was trying to avoid the "O" word (objectifying), but there, you said it :blush: I'm wondering too if other foreign SOs get as much of this "possessive adjective + nationality" endearment or if it's mostly just Pinays.

At any rate, doesn't hurt to be aware of these things, guys. Food for thought. Am truly happy for the posters here who found the loves of their lives in our beautiful country.

Grace

Ok it was so nice to read many of your replies to this topic and I thank all of you. I am happy to say that Kim has been a joy to my world. Though we started out on rocky the more we made time for one another to chat the closer we became. She is a great woman not because she is pinay but because she has a heart and truly cares about her family. friends, and me. When I went to meet her for the first time she was so shy and kept asking me if I liked her or if she was too small for me being that she is 5 feet and I am 6 ft 2 brawney guy. I laughed and joked with her but reassured her she was fine. I love her freckled face, chinky eyes, and that gorgeous hair of hers. I could sit and play with her hair all day long. Her eyes are like brown stained glass so deep, clear and full of passion. I love the fact that she is so clean, my goodnes this girl takes 3 showers a day sometimes more. Yes and that broken english is to die for. I like when we go out together people mistake her for Korean or Japanese but she speaks her native tongue the look on their face is priceless. Kim has a unique look for a pinay and I think that what makes her so special to me. She never asked for anything from me but my heart and she was so eager to learn about my culture on her own and that warms my heart. I dont know how she will adjust to life here in America especially the south but I do know I will be there holding her hand through the good and bad times.

Thom -

The broken english is so cute while she is in the Philippines but she has to learn to communicate in straight english to make her life a lot easier here in the US.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: Timeline

I'm wondering too if other foreign SOs get as much of this "possessive adjective + nationality" endearment or if it's mostly just Pinays.

Grace

Check out the RUB forum. At least the Pinay get some respect.

Filed: Timeline

Maybe she's just jealous because we speak so highly of our filipinas.

-James

That's not even logical...why wouldn't I expect you speak highly of your fiancee? What an odd thing to presume.

I doubt it is jealousy that's making her cringe.

My wife stated / posed in an earlier post. How would an American feel about being referred to as ..."my American".

Asawa ko and I recognize the phrase, "my Filipina" , is probably being used as a term of endearment.

(but) Ask yourself the q....if you were being referred to as "my American"...that's OK with you? I'm sure it would be OK with me as long as used with appropriate connotation and as a term of endearment. (but) Should it be OK?

(another but) Giving a nod to the gentler sex, and recognizing the historical victimization of women being treated as property, objectified and subordinate to men.... I wonder if there is not some (albeit diluted) version of this victimization when referring to a woman with a cultural label. Couldn't this also be a way of objectifying a woman and at the same time...a little bit of racism mixed in the drink?

Michael

I agree with you, but it's not the 'my Filipina' that I think is cringe worthy. The statement was 'the filipina was loyal and blah blah blah' as if talking about them as if they are a breed, and not individuals. (I'm sure some are, some aren't. but that's by the by) You can't paint a whole country's women as if they are one homogenized entity. Where is the acknowledgment of individuality? Didn't all of these men fall in love with ONE specific person, and isn't that woman unique in her own way somehow?

'the Filipina' sounds like you're picking out which type of dog to buy. Women deserve better respect than that.

Edited by Lisa C

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.