ArizonaBound

Starting out - F1 or K1?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm Eff and I'm in love.

B and I met in February 2010 through a Star Wars RPG game we both play. We were friends for quite some time and eventually grew closer. I should say right now that he was deployed to Iraq during that time and he flew me in to Texas to meet him straight off the plane when he returned home.

He came home November 2010 to El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss). Our little "this is incredible... but we'll wait till we see each other to go nuts" evolved into full blown nuttiness. Since then, he's gotten orders for Ft. Huachuca, AZ and has just recently gotten situated at home. We visited each other a lot. He came to Montreal twice, I visited him another 3 times.

I have the "free time" that allows me to do this because I'm a nursing student. It also allows me to move down to be with him on a F1 visa next semester (September 2011). I'd have 2 more semesters to do in Arizona before graduating.

- I've already contacted the community college there and they're willing to talk with me for a full transfer of credits earned.

- I can get financial help (student loans) from the Gov't of Quebec even if I study abroad.

- We obviously plan on getting married at some point.

- I can then get a military dependent status that would get me medical insurance and waive the international student tuition. Unfortunately my soldier is a little too high-ranking for us to fall under the GI bill, but I'll consider myself extremely lucky to be able to just save the 10k/yr student tuition.

Alright, so that's the background story. I've read extensively about K1/IR-1 visas as I figured it might be easier to go the other way (enter as fiancee/wife then apply for college) but it seems the timeline is horrid... 10-12mo from application to entry is very discouraging.

My question is this : What do I tell the Officer at the student visa interview? Do I tell the truth? He'll be sponsoring me financially as the student loans come into installments and they want to know I have the total funds readily available (15k). I'm really unsure of how to go about this as I cannot bear to think of having it denied.

Thank you for your time,

Eff

06.04.11 - Entered US as a tourist

09.02.11 - Married

03.03.12 - Filed AOS & I-130

04.26.12 - Biometrics appointment

06.13.12 - Interview - approved!

06.21.12 - Green card in hand :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you can do an F1 with the intent already being there to get married, F1 is like "oh ill go study" and then you fall head over heals for each other and AOS. If you go down already knowing you will eventually get married and move there, you would be commiting fraud if you didnt tell them, and if you do they will deny it. I would recommend doing it as a K1 or CR-1, as to which is better for you...not sure how they effect state tuition prices as I havent looked at it, but I know that K1's cant work right on getting into the states, you have to AOS first for that. If working is something you'd like to be able to do right away the CR1 would be better. Another thought is how you will feel if you do the CR1, as its basically spending a long time away from your new husband.

Now, when you apply for K1 or CR1 if he should get orders for redeployment, you can get expedited processing to make sure you get there faster, but thats really only an option if he gets new orders.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.