FormerlyKnownAs

Leaving for Cairo in 3 days

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Europeans are blonde and blue eyed and fair skinned too. This is how my husband explained things. Egyptians are naturaly curious ppl and stare often, just do not pay attention to it. And yeah egyptians are not thrilled with american goverment but are fine with american ppl we can not help what our goverement does and they understand that. Don't worrie about it. But if you feel safer not to go then don't. I had vacation time planned before all of this and i am keeping it. My husband will not let anything happen to me. He has enough contacts that would inform him if anything was going down. I found most egyptians very freindly towards americans, and even now. All my husbands friends know i am american and are asking when will i come back. Cuz i supported them through all of this and that makes them happy. So I would not worrie cuz your american.

Depends. I am blonde hair, blue eyes and white. For me, right now I would not go. When I went to Egypt in the past I did not feel scared AT ALL. But right now with anti-American sentiment up and things not completely organized, I would not want to stand out as "obviously American".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was a little worried about this too. I have planned vacation time for feb 28 the same day the travel band is set to expire. But i had heard ppl being turned down at the airports and that paris airports was not flying into cario. So those are things i planned on checking today. I do not want to buy a ticket , lets say that will have a stop in paris and they say no. I think that is the biggest obstacle for us americans right now. What countries are flying into Egypt. I am not even sure Delta is flying to Cario now. I need to do a little research.

I believe she is flying AirFrance? Any news as to whether they are really not continuing from Paris? To answer your question about Delta, I did see yesterday as I was searching flights that they do have flights listed again from JFK to Cairo also noticed several airlines partnering with Royal Jordanian and having layover in Amman instead of straight from US to Cairo. I have to wait until Friday to buy my ticket for March 4th, so I am constantly checking availability and prices hoping they don't go up too much more. I am a little worried though like you stated about possibly getting stuck at a foreign airport while in transit, but am going to take my chances since my next opportunity to visit him won't be until June and that just won't do...

That is great news :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Harry Smith, obvious american, seems to have had a pretty darn good time - http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7341978n

If we could drop our jobs right now, AbuS and I would be there. We're trying to plan a trip there in March before or after we make umrah.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

wow, loved the little girl kissing the reporter. Egyptian ppl are amazing

Harry Smith, obvious american, seems to have had a pretty darn good time - http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7341978n

If we could drop our jobs right now, AbuS and I would be there. We're trying to plan a trip there in March before or after we make umrah.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

In my opinion, go and have a good time. It is always good to keep an eye on your surroundings and if things seem to be tense then leave that area. I think things will be fine. We talk to Tamer's family everyday and things seem to be getting back to normal for the most part. I would love to go now. I took my kids last year and of course people stare but they all welcomed us like we were one of them. I have been many times and love each experience...we had one officer stop us on the way back from Sharm because he said I looked egyptian but my kids did not and he studied our passports (we thought it was funny but thanked him for being thorough and protecting the kids). Best wishes and just check all the flights to make sure they are still on. The airport in Cairo is so much more user friendly since they opened the new addition.

Relax and enjoy your time.

I checked flights last night and there all going through germany or the U.K. cuz there the only airports going to Egypt right now. Egypt Air is still coming out of New York. But that is expensive. My hubby said that more flights will reopen on the 22 of Feb. I hate to wait that long but i have bought tickets just days before i went before. lol

In my opinion, go and have a good time. It is always good to keep an eye on your surroundings and if things seem to be tense then leave that area. I think things will be fine. We talk to Tamer's family everyday and things seem to be getting back to normal for the most part. I would love to go now. I took my kids last year and of course people stare but they all welcomed us like we were one of them. I have been many times and love each experience...we had one officer stop us on the way back from Sharm because he said I looked egyptian but my kids did not and he studied our passports (we thought it was funny but thanked him for being thorough and protecting the kids). Best wishes and just check all the flights to make sure they are still on. The airport in Cairo is so much more user friendly since they opened the new addition.

Relax and enjoy your time.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

My flight goes through Paris. Wish that Air France would adjust their schedule back to the old flight schedule. As it stands now I'm going to have a 12 hour layover in Paris and a few more hours at the airport in Lebanon. :crying:

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know this has really nothing to do with the subject but you brought up the staring. It's so off putting. I wish Egyptians and other people who have the habit of staring could learn how off putting and rude it is. Makes me incredibly uncomfortable and was one of the things I truly disliked about being in Egypt. I have dark hair and dark eyes but my skin is fair and even with a hijab (used as an attempt to blend in) didn't completely stop the staring. I was on the bus once and this girl nearly got in my face she stared so hard. Some people seriously need an education on manners. I felt like the traveling freak show.

Europeans are blonde and blue eyed and fair skinned too. This is how my husband explained things. Egyptians are naturaly curious ppl and stare often, just do not pay attention to it. And yeah egyptians are not thrilled with american goverment but are fine with american ppl we can not help what our goverement does and they understand that. Don't worrie about it. But if you feel safer not to go then don't. I had vacation time planned before all of this and i am keeping it. My husband will not let anything happen to me. He has enough contacts that would inform him if anything was going down. I found most egyptians very freindly towards americans, and even now. All my husbands friends know i am american and are asking when will i come back. Cuz i supported them through all of this and that makes them happy. So I would not worrie cuz your american.

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I did get stared at a LOT when I was there. I mean, I had one guy stop and turn 180 degrees to watch me walk by on the sidewalk... It was crazy. My fiance is really good about staring back at the offender, I guess they have their own unspoken language because it usually stops them. I also have dark hair, but blue eyes and fair skin. I've been assured by my fiance that wearing a hijab won't help because I'm still a "pretty white girl" and people will take note... Even if my hair is covered.

I know it's mostly harmless and not ill-intentioned, but it's still a bit unnerving. On the other hand... I had a little girl, probably 7 years old or so, stop me when we were leaving the pyramids. She ran up to me and started tugging my hand and saying something in Arabic, I looked to my fiance and before he could tell me what she was saying, the little girl was handing her father a camera and looking up at me again with the brightest gleam in her eyes... She stood next to me, looked at her father with the camera, said something else to me, my fiance explained, "She wants a picture with you." She put her little arm around my leg and smiled for the camera and I smiled too, how could I not? It was really one of the cutest things to happen to me ever. The look of sheer excitement on her face was just adorable. I still can't figure out why she wanted a picture with me, who she thought I might be, or if it was just because I looked like an exciting American woman... Guess I'll never know!

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I lived a great portion of my life overseas. Got stared at from an early age so actually didn't bother me

at all the times I was in Egypt. There's something about American women. Don't know what it is, but we

really stick out. All I do is try not to make eye contact. I just have a problem when they do come close to

me and touch my clothes or hair, but I don't make a big deal...just walk a little faster!! :lol: This has

happened to me all over the world...didn't matter where I was or what I was doing. They are just naturally

curious people where as we have our "don't get in my space or face" rule. Just have fun!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Timeline

They even tend to stare at each other! If you pulled that ####### here (the staring, the touching, the groping) you could find yourself in a fight most of the time. I refuse to accept the excuse of them being "curious" people to make this behavior acceptable. It's unacceptable. I don't even think it's just because we're American. They stare at anything and everything. :angry: When I would be in public I'd look down most of the time to avoid it or at least so I wouldn't see the staring.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

They even tend to stare at each other! If you pulled that ####### here (the staring, the touching, the groping) you could find yourself in a fight most of the time. I refuse to accept the excuse of them being "curious" people to make this behavior acceptable. It's unacceptable. I don't even think it's just because we're American. They stare at anything and everything. :angry: When I would be in public I'd look down most of the time to avoid it or at least so I wouldn't see the staring.

Do you think this an Egypt-specific thing? I don't recall there being a lot of staring in Morocco. Even when we took the whole family (my blonde mom/sister/step-father) with us. I mean, people look if you're in a non-touristy area a little bit, just because you stand out, just as they might in any other country, but I don't recall staring. In fact, my husband told me that *I* stared too much at other people when we were in Morocco. Maybe I was Egyptian in a past life.

Timeline

Honestly I don't know. Aside from Egypt, the only "foreign" country I spent any time in was Canada and I didn't experience staring there, lol. I got stared at everywhere - big cities (Cairo and Alex) and small towns. Men and women would crane their necks to get a good look at me (I'm not even that interesting to look at!). It was so bizarre! I get that they were probably curious but at least do it politely. Take a look and move on. There are more stealthy ways of checking people out. But then, in my experience, Egyptians are generally intrusive by nature and don't even try to hide it. Egyptians in Egypt, that is. I haven't experienced such a thing in the US with Egyptians.

Edited by Mithra

Timeline

I wanted to add - Not that I'm an overly polite person or anything but the one thing that was always commented on was how polite I was. Polite in my speech and general mannerisms such as table manners, etc. Compared to a lot of people I experienced I guess I am super polite in comparison.

My husband has talked about wanting to go back again for a visit and me joining him and honestly I'm dreading it. I used to think I wanted to go back but when I remember the times I spent there the less I want to go. Sorry I'm venting about this since the topic has come up at home a lot lately.

ETA - my inlaws are ok, I feel comfortable with them. It's the general public there that makes me not want to go back. If I could go and not deal with too many others besides my inlaws that would be ok. :blush:

Edited by Mithra

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.