zayzay_04

Middle Name Change

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Okay, my wife & I were married back in 09 & we used her maiden name as her middle name, and got rid of her original middle name. So her name was Michelle Ignacio Amador and it is now Michelle Amador Miller. We were able to get this name on her 2 year gc, and social security office. We are getting ready to file for a legal name change so that she can actually get a state ID in her new name as well. I just wanted to make sure before we went ahead with the state legal name change procedures. My only worry is about the filipino passport. We haven't sent a report of marriage yet or tried to ammend her passport from her old name to her new name yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Philippines consulate on this. Will they change both her surname & middle name on her passport? Or will they just change the last name. If they only changed the last name would this cause problems with travelling? I want to make sure on this before we do a legal name change & then end up having to try changing everything again so that all of the documents match. We really want to use Michelle Amador Miller but if it isn't possible we wouldn't mind Michelle Ignacio Miller. So, any info would be a big help. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Zayzay,

ACtually the way Filipinos write their married name is the same as your wife. When we get married we drop the middle name (which is mom's maiden name) and our new middle name will be the maiden name/dad's surname and the new last name will be the husband's. So I don't think you will have a problem with the Philippine consulate in changing her last name to yours, you just need to report your marriage to the embassy. Good luck.

When my wife got her passport, she filled out the form using my last name, her father's last name, and her first name. The maiden middle name was dropped. She submitted her birth certificate and our marriage contract, and there was NO PROBLEM when the passport came back. Philippine Govt. officials do it the traditional way. When my daughters were born, they wound up with 4 names. The name I gave them as their middle name became part of their first name.

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

Okay, my wife & I were married back in 09 & we used her maiden name as her middle name, and got rid of her original middle name. So her name was Michelle Ignacio Amador and it is now Michelle Amador Miller. We were able to get this name on her 2 year gc, and social security office. We are getting ready to file for a legal name change so that she can actually get a state ID in her new name as well. I just wanted to make sure before we went ahead with the state legal name change procedures. My only worry is about the filipino passport. We haven't sent a report of marriage yet or tried to ammend her passport from her old name to her new name yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Philippines consulate on this. Will they change both her surname & middle name on her passport? Or will they just change the last name. If they only changed the last name would this cause problems with travelling? I want to make sure on this before we do a legal name change & then end up having to try changing everything again so that all of the documents match. We really want to use Michelle Amador Miller but if it isn't possible we wouldn't mind Michelle Ignacio Miller. So, any info would be a big help. Thanks!

You can not renew her Philippine Passport unless u report ur marriage here first. That is the number 1 requirement.

When she get a new passport ,the form will ask u what name u want in her new passport. So it's simple just put Michelle Ignacio Miller and that's it.

Edited by happyme'11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I went to the Philippines consulate website & it said to report "change of last name" and so that is what struck my concern. I also have a friend who married a filipina recently after she arrived on a k-1 visa & they applied for the gc the same way with the middle name ommitted, and replaced with fathers surname. When they went to there biometrics a few weeks ago they told them that she couldn't apply like that & that they would have to write a letter to USCIS & let them know that they made a mistake & that they want the gc with original middle name. So, does anyone understand why they said this? Was is a lack of knowledge of the situation? My wife & I had our biometrics done in Detroit, MI and I believe there's was in Grand Rapids, MI. I think that maybe there was confusion & if they had never saw that before, they may have given them that advice. They did give them the biometrics though. So, this was the reason why I expressed some concern with this name change situation. So, as in my friend's case, when they get there passport can they opt to use the first name, original middle name, and new surname? Or will they have to use the traditional? Would this be a potential problem as far as travelling goes, with there names not matching up? Thanks for your replies & information. It is well appreciated.

As for her passport, she still has two years left on it yet. I understand that this needs done & we are planning to send in for Report of Marriage & Name Change this week. Thanks again,

Isaiah

You can not renew her Philippine Passport unless u report ur marriage here first. That is the number 1 requirement.

When she get a new passport ,the form will ask u what name u want in her new passport. So it's simple just put Michelle Ignacio Miller and that's it.

Or Michelle Amador Miller perhaps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.