GregBu

Get a job before Green Card?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife's interview went great. She has a few loose ends to tie up in Canada, but we are expecting her to move down the second week in March.

I know from checking the forums that it typically takes about a month for her Green Card to show up.

Our question is, can she get a job before then, or does she have to wait for the actual card?

On a side note, I wanted to once again thank everyone here. You've been fantastic, couldn't have done this without you, seriously.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

oh goody !

when she comes through the POE, she'll get a stamp in her passport that validates her VISA to be used as a temporary green card, I-551 document .

about 10 days later, she can go into SSA office, apply for SSN in VISA NAME -

then go back 2 days later to SSA office and get the #. with these 2 things, she can work.

If you are diligent, can be done in less than 2 weeks of POE date.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

IN a word YES!

The passport will have an I-551 notation, this WILL serve as green-card until physical card arrives in the mail.

Conceivably take a job same day as arrival in the USA.

I will add, this is one of the things that makes a CR or IR visa great, and a K-Visa not so great.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yes one can get a job! What has happened to others---is that the company may just hold ur 1st paycheque until you get ur SSN #. Some get the SSN # right away. some do not!!

Even if you checked off the box on the DS-230--many times the SSN does NOT arrive. They recommend you wait approx 10-14 BUSINESS days after you POE and if no SSN card---then simply download the form from http://ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html take ur passport and birth certificate (or green card if it luckily has arrived) and goto ur local SSN office and inquire about its status. Most likely one has not been issued--THEN WHAMMMOO--you pass over your already filled out form and ur passport and birth cert. Should arrive 1-2 weeks later in mail! I do believ you can go back in person the next day or so and they can verbally tell you the #. i was told they can not tell you the # over the phone

You dont have to download the form ahead of time---just trying to save you time at the SSN office, thats all

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes one can get a job! What has happened to others---is that the company may just hold ur 1st paycheque until you get ur SSN #. Some get the SSN # right away. some do not!!

Even if you checked off the box on the DS-230--many times the SSN does NOT arrive. They recommend you wait approx 10-14 BUSINESS days after you POE and if no SSN card---then simply download the form from http://ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html take ur passport and birth certificate (or green card if it luckily has arrived) and goto ur local SSN office and inquire about its status. Most likely one has not been issued--THEN WHAMMMOO--you pass over your already filled out form and ur passport and birth cert. Should arrive 1-2 weeks later in mail! I do believ you can go back in person the next day or so and they can verbally tell you the #. i was told they can not tell you the # over the phone

You dont have to download the form ahead of time---just trying to save you time at the SSN office, thats all

Thanks all for the replies. She's been going out of her mind with boredom and is anxious to get a job immediately. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow...I don't know how I missed this information. I just checked my own passport (my POE was early December), and all I have is my visa pasted into my passport, and a card with my departure number stapled to one page. I don't have any I-551 stamp or notation in it. Now what? It sure would be nice to be able to work earlier than I expected to. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Wow...I don't know how I missed this information. I just checked my own passport (my POE was early December), and all I have is my visa pasted into my passport, and a card with my departure number stapled to one page. I don't have any I-551 stamp or notation in it. Now what? It sure would be nice to be able to work earlier than I expected to. :)

K-1 is not a green-card visa, it is non immigrant and will not have that notation.

I-551 means green card.

K-1 needs to adjust status to get green card, this is why I say K-1 is not so great.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ya, I'm with Dan on this one -

you missed it, because it doesn't exist for you.

It doesn't exist for you, because of VISA TYPE.

Sorry.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

+ and - of each visa type!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I have to wait until I've adjusted status? Bummer. :(

Not necessarily until adjusted but until you submit AOS, if you also submit the work visa with it. I got my work auth about a month before I got my GC.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Not necessarily until adjusted but until you submit AOS, if you also submit the work visa with it. I got my work auth about a month before I got my GC.

Just to clarify, by "work visa" he means "I-765 EAD application", and by "work auth" he means "EAD card".

Once you have an EAD card in your hand, you can work for a US employer. If you file the I-765 at the same time as the rest of your AOS packet, which you should do as soon as possible after you marry [as in, in the next couple of days], you should get your EAD card in about 6-10 weeks.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Just to clarify, by "work visa" he means "I-765 EAD application", and by "work auth" he means "EAD card".

Once you have an EAD card in your hand, you can work for a US employer. If you file the I-765 at the same time as the rest of your AOS packet, which you should do as soon as possible after you marry [as in, in the next couple of days], you should get your EAD card in about 6-10 weeks.

Oops, yeah totally ment EAD. Sorry >< Just started working again and my brain is on the fritz.

(also just for future reference, I'm a girl :D)

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

I came up against some objection while I was still waiting for my actual greencard. Some business owners are skittish I guess. I had one guy flat out tell me they wouldnt hire me until I had my greencard in hand. Even though I had my visa and welcome letter with me!

Oh well, it took 5 weeks for it to get to me (3 weeks after SSN) and I was employed shortly after that. Just a heads up that some people are wierd about having the actual card in hand.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

K-1 is not a green-card visa, it is non immigrant and will not have that notation.

I-551 means green card.

K-1 needs to adjust status to get green card, this is why I say K-1 is not so great.

Do you know if it's possible to get EAD at entry into the USA from Canada on a K1 Visa? I thought I read somewhere that it's possible. My Fiance will be POE on 2/15.

Met online : August 18 2008

Met in person (Alberta Canada): June 19,2009

Met again (USA): December 10,2009

Mailed the package: June 30,2010

NOA1: July 8,2010

Touch: July 14,2010

NOA2: Nov. 19, 2010 Issued

NOA2: Nov. 27, 2010 Received Hard Copy

November 26, 2010 NVC forwarded case to Vancouver Consulate

November 29, 2010 Received at Vancouver Consulate

December 7, 2010 Received Packet 3

December 8, 2010 Received Inverview Date

Interview Date: January 5, 2011 Vancouver

Approved February 8, 2011

Entered USA February 15, 2011

Married March 23, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.