jeanie&jerry

We got our petition approved but........cenomar

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We got our petition approved but when she got her cenomar(in the Philippines that means certificate of no marriage) it shows that my fiancee is married. 6 years ago she had a BF and thought she got married to him but then found out that he was already married. So she broke off the relationship. She checked with the Local Registry Center after a few months and was told there was no record of her being married. So she assumed she was still single the last 6 years. After we found about the cenomar we got a copy of the marriage certificate and that certificate was full of flaws. First and most important there is no marriage license, then other problems like bad birth dates, forge signatures, wrong addresses, etc. Anyway, we are petitioning for a nullity of marriage where the marriage is void. My question is this-the US embassy is waiting for her physical and interview but we can't go forward because of the cenomar. Do I need to re-apply a fiancee visa after we finally get this annulment? Or can I wait for the nullity of marriage is to be finalized? I was told that you can't re-apply to the same person. I was also told that getting married in the Philippines and then apply for a spouse visa will be better. Does anyone know what are my best options and what can I do? And do you know what huddles I will have go through with those options?

Thank you for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if the petition is approved, then it's still at USCIS, waiting to be sent over to NVC.

NVC will keep it for a bit, then send it out to US Embassy Manila

at some point, she'll need to submit packet 3 into US Embassy/Manila

and

she has some time to submit this packet.

whilst 'waiting' - she has the time to get the Cenomar 'fixed'.

(If you mean something else, other than 'petition is approved', please use different language? TIA!)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

---

also - at this stage - relax - you need to flip into 'go slow mode' at US Embassy/Manila -

and

it's pretty straightforward to do that - you have up to 1 year to get all documents submitted from the packet 3 set - and you will need to ask for a later interview date and further extension on the petition validity dates. Ask, and you'll get it - let them know you have slight document problem (not say to them what it is) and you need some time to resolve it.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

i dont get it, how can she get married to a guy whose already married. you can't get married w/out a CENOMAR, if you we're approved at USCIS you have time to fix it, i have a friend who was kind of in the same situation the only diff is she was really married but then separated. Get an annulment, which I heard costs a bit. . but then u know no divorce here in P.I., I suggest talk to a good lawyer, I hope you get everything sorted out. You have a year before your case at the NVC expires anyway, wish u both the best God Bless!

Wedding Date : May 15, 2008

I130 sent : July 27, 2010

NOA1 Received : August 16, 2010

NOA2 Received : March 11, 2011 (207 days from NOA1)

NVC Journey :

NVC received : March 18, 2011

DS3032 emailed : March 30, 2011

AOS fee received : March 30, 2011

Visa : April 1, 2011

Paid AOS and Visa via Mail : April 4,2011

I864 sent : (by the petitioner) April 13, 2011 (overnight)

DS230 sent : (by me) April 11, 2011 NVC received April 13,2011

AOS RFE :(co-sponsor proof of citizenship) : April 23,2011

RFE sent : April 25, 2011 (overnight)

DS230 RFE : April 26, 2011

RFE sent : April 28, 2011 (via FedEx) NVC received May 2, 2011

SIF : May 13, 2011 (US time) May 14 (here in the Philippines)

Case Close : May 16, 2011

Medical at St. Lukes : May 17, 2011 1st Day

May 19, 2011 Immunization and got the CD xray :)

Interview : July 12, 2011 (6:30 am) yiipppeeeee

INTERVIEW RESULT : APPROVED!!!! :)

VISA ON HAND : July 15, 2011

POE : LAX

[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size][/font][/color]

Timeline

krisca - it's a bit different for a K-1 visa casefile type, the activities at NVC and USEmbassy/Manila.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for your responses so far. As for how she got married to this guy without a marriage license, no cenomar, no approval from parents since at that time she was only 23, no body knows. As far as we know is that the marriage certificate was registered without those other documents. We assumed that all the other documents were forged. We have an attorney working on this and he tells us we have grounds for void of marriage because there is no marriage license. But my real question is not how they got marriage but what to do with the K-1 visa? Last week I just got a letter from the US embassy stating that they ready to set up an interview. I have been told that because of her cenomar showing that she is married, we have to re-apply the K-1 visa because the petition assumes that you are both single and free to marry. So this K-1 petition is now invalid.

Timeline

I can understand yer concern, but based on prior 'chain of evidence' she was free and clear to marry.

Now is new 'chain of evidence' and you have to squash/surpress that by having the prior marriage annulled.

As to 'filing a new K-1' - wait a bit, don't decide to file one UNTIL you do eyeball review of the marriage annullment

and

WHEN finally the DS-230, part I is sent into US Embassy/Manilla, include a letter of attestation about this muck-up.

If she's already sent in the DS 230 Part I, please say so?

Timeline

Jerry - OK - re-read everything I've written here, then map out yer plan of attack for 'going slow with USEmbassy/Manila'

i dont get it, how can she get married to a guy whose already married. you can't get married w/out a CENOMAR,

A Cenomar is not a requirement for Filipino citizens when marrying in the Philippines. What we do have in place of that is the waiting period of ten consecutive days while notice of the marriage application is posted on a bulletin board outside the local civil registrar's office. If nobody objects, then the ceremony will proceed.

Anyway, we are petitioning for a nullity of marriage where the marriage is void. My question is this - the US embassy is waiting for her physical and interview but we can't go forward because of the cenomar.

You can choose to cancel the petition and state the reason for doing so or she can go ahead with the physical and interview but tell the pre-interviewer and consul at interview time about the discovery of the marriage and that she is in the process of annulment. Bring in the paperwork for the annulment. Embassy will give your fiancee one year to complete the process.

Do I need to re-apply a fiancee visa after we finally get this annulment? Or can I wait for the nullity of marriage is to be finalized? I was told that you can't re-apply to the same person. I was also told that getting married in the Philippines and then apply for a spouse visawill be better. Does anyone know what are my best options and what can I do?And do you know what huddles I will have go through with thoseoptions? Thank you for your help.

You cannot re-apply until there is a pending fiancee petition for her. You need to wait for the official cancellation of the petition (if you decide to cancel now) or denial letter (221g, should you decide to go ahead with interview) before you can re-apply. And you can definitely re-apply for the same person/beneficiary but you need to submit a waiver.

I was also told that getting married in thePhilippines and then apply for a spouse visa will be better. Does anyone knowwhat are my best options and what can I do? And do you know what huddles I willhave go through with those options? Thank you for your help.

K1 and spousal visa has its own advantages. you just need to choose which one is best for you. If you do spousal, you need to go back to PI to get married, wait for the marriage certificate to be registered by NSO (1-2 months) before you can apply for spousal visa.Advantage is that once she arrives here on spousal visa, she doesn't need to adjust status. For K1, you can re-start the process as soon as she receives finalityof her annulment.

Ask, and you'll get it - let them know you have slight document problem (not say to them what it is) and you need some time to resolve it.

Darnell, the embassy will know during background check what the "slight document problem" is. Better for them to be upfront about it.

Since your NOA2 has four months validity, my suggestion is to wait three months plus to schedule the interview. This will give you additional time to get an estimate of the length of time it will take to get the CENOMAR corrected.

An annulment in the Philippines can take a year or longer, but since your fiancee was not legally married maybe the process wil be quicker.

Darnell, there has been no packet 3 used at the Manila Embassy (USEM), only Packet IV. The process is a little different as the DS forms are submitted at the interview.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

find out how long it will take to get teh annulement and see if you can schedule the interview for after that date.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

so ur fiancee filed nullity of marriage.. give it at least 6 mons. that's a legal process.. and see if u can have an extension... if not cancel it and re-apply after she got her finality...

Edited by godsgift
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

You have 1 year to schedule your interview at USEmbassy Manila.. I waited 5 months to schedule (My noa2 was already expired) but USEM said it was okay. I am not sure how this "marriage" will affect you guys when it comes to the interview, all I am saying is that you have plenty of time to get the annulment done.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.