skeeball

Petitioner Lost His Job

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

my fiance is an independent contractor,and had a steady job for a couple of years. his employer just told him they're letting most contractors go by march.

he has been working there for almost a year. my worry is that i filed late october and i am expecting a NOA2 within the next two months. what to do? my fiance could start looking for jobs but for sure it will take some time. he also can't actively look for a job now since he still goes to his present job.

his income has been fairly consistent and he does go over the poverty line needed for two people.

im from the philippines and i know that we dont accept cosponsors. what do we do? i know he should look for a job soon but are there other things we should look out for? any advices?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, I filed in late October too and am waiting for NOA2. I think your fiance should definitely be actively looking for another job. does he have savings? A house and a car in his name? I think if you want to use assests like these for proof of income it has to be a 3 to 1 ratio. Some one else with more experience could explain better, but it's not impossible yet. Best of luck to you.

October 8th- Sent off K-1 visa package

October 21st- Received email saying we have been assigned to CSC

October 28th- Waiting on NOA1

October 29th- NOA1 received!!!

March 16th 2011- Received email saying petition for fiance has been approved and that NOA2 is in the mail!

April 12th 2011- Waiting on lettter with interview date from Dublin Embassy. Medical scheduled for 26th April

Hi, I filed in late October too and am waiting for NOA2. I think your fiance should definitely be actively looking for another job. does he have savings? A house and a car in his name? I think if you want to use assests like these for proof of income it has to be a 3 to 1 ratio. Some one else with more experience could explain better, but it's not impossible yet. Best of luck to you.

thank you!! he doesn't own a house, just cars (3 of them) and a couple of machines. should i get their market value?

he's looking into getting a job out of state too. i dont want too uproot him from his state but we are desperate! will it matter to the CO if it is out of stste?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

my fiance is an independent contractor,and had a steady job for a couple of years. his employer just told him they're letting most contractors go by march.

he has been working there for almost a year. my worry is that i filed late october and i am expecting a NOA2 within the next two months. what to do? my fiance could start looking for jobs but for sure it will take some time. he also can't actively look for a job now since he still goes to his present job.

his income has been fairly consistent and he does go over the poverty line needed for two people.

im from the philippines and i know that we dont accept cosponsors. what do we do? i know he should look for a job soon but are there other things we should look out for? any advices?

If I were in his shoes, I would complete the affidavit of support prior to losing his contract assignment. He'll state his current income based on his 2010 tax return, provide three tax returns and call it good. Once you have the visa and arrive in the USA, you'll deal with this all over again with the current information at that time.

An independent contractor is "self employed". Like being a consultant, a contractor often has time between assignments. This is normal. That's why they look at tax returns, not employer letters (not employed) or pay stubs (for employees).

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

If I were in his shoes, I would complete the affidavit of support prior to losing his contract assignment. He'll state his current income based on his 2010 tax return, provide three tax returns and call it good. Once you have the visa and arrive in the USA, you'll deal with this all over again with the current information at that time.

An independent contractor is "self employed". Like being a consultant, a contractor often has time between assignments. This is normal. That's why they look at tax returns, not employer letters (not employed) or pay stubs (for employees).

thank you pushbrk! i knew you'd have a well-informed input. thanks for dropping by this threaad.

just to clarify:

1) when you say "complete the affidavit of support" does that mean that he should file his taxes while he's still at the company? does that mean as well that we should ask for a certification from the company's HR, etc?

2) when we bring our AOS packets for the CO's review -- what could we bring? am i right in assuming that we should bring these: tax returns (1099s), paystubs, checks? what else should we bring?

thank you again!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thank you pushbrk! i knew you'd have a well-informed input. thanks for dropping by this threaad.

just to clarify:

1) when you say "complete the affidavit of support" does that mean that he should file his taxes while he's still at the company? does that mean as well that we should ask for a certification from the company's HR, etc?

2) when we bring our AOS packets for the CO's review -- what could we bring? am i right in assuming that we should bring these: tax returns (1099s), paystubs, checks? what else should we bring?

thank you again!

First, show him my answer. Employer letter, pay stubs and/or HR dept. certifications are for "employees". He's not one, so none of those things apply. Taxes are filed based on the calendar year 2010 regardless of any other status. The self employed provide the affidavit and complete copies of tax return or returns.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.