marymary

vancouver vs montreal

23 posts in this topic

Are there any people out there that have recently received their interview dates for either Vancouver or Montreal? I am from Winnipeg and originally was directed to BC but my brother lives in Montreal so I asked the consulates to transfer me over at the beginning of this month. I have yet to receive my letter from Montreal and did a search on VJ on wait times and have not seen any new comments.

From a couple 2006 posts I am now regretting trying to save money on a flight and hotel to Vancouver as it seems like Montreal is really slow with everything. The Vancover office had people who promptly answered my emails and questions. Montreal has not answered any. Yikes I'm scared.

I also have to fly to Montreal to get my medical. Has anyone able to get a medical and a interview a week apart? Just curious as I am trying to save as much money as possible.Can anyone give me the vibe they got from each office?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you were to Poll Cdn k1 members--vast majority would want to got Vancouver as I believe it is much fast process to get to the interview!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Oh dear.. I wish you'da posted a message here... we would ALL have warned you about Montreal... I can't answer you Qu's on medical, because I had mine in Vancouver, but I wanted to wish you luck on your Visa Journey!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Man, I wish I could transfer to Vancouver...

On a slightly unrelated note, our NOA2 says our consulate is Toronto - did they just put that there because they didn't know better and it's what we mistakenly suggested? Because adding K1 processing at a Toronto consulate sounds like a wicked idea ... but it's an error, isn't it? :unsure:

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

o my I am officially kicking myself. That sucks! Thanks to everyone for responding.

Have any of you heard of someone being able to schedule a medical receiving the results and then getting the interview on one triip out? I'm trying to not have to fly twice as a return trip costs at a low of 400 to Montreal.

flight+medical+interview

450+300+300=a lot of money

They need to have one in each province! ugh

Timeline

At 1 time their used to be almost that--a Dr in each province that could handle the medical, but that changed a few yrs back.

I will let others chirp in about the medical--as their are different ways one can attack that. At the top you will see--REVIEWS:EMBASSY/USCIS & POE--Select CANADA from the pul down menu--then click on FIND ENTRIES----I bet if you look on there you will see how people handled the medical! Plus one can use thr VJ seatch feature--type in montreal medical--vancouver medical or Toronto medical--as those are the only 3 cities that do MEDICALS

As well--give this a read: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

another question....

I have a family wedding to go to in Winnipeg in AUG of this year. When my visa is approved and I move to the states hopefully by May or June, would it be an issue for me to leave and come back?

My attendence is a must...so would if I cannot freely leave and come back so soon upon entry what should I do?

Should I schedule my medical and interview after the wedding? O my...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe - you have 6 months after the visa is issued to use it to enter the States, but if you marry in May or June, you'd have to apply for AP (Advanced Parole) to get back into the States after the wedding, but I don't know enough about that to say whether you'd have a chance...

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where is your medical going to be at in Montreal?

Medisys takes 3-4 days to have the results ready for pick up.

If you move in May - June do not count on going to the wedding, you have to apply for AOS EAD and AP.

AP lets you leave before you get your green card and you can look at 3-4 months to get the AP card. 4-5 months to get the green card.

If you leave the USA without AP papers or green card they will not let you back in. You will have to start from the beginning with everything for a CR-1 and have a 1 year wait to come back to the US on a CR-1 visa.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Another option that same do is do the medical the day before and then head to the interview----Get medical stuff mailed to you--then you mail the medical package to the consulate. Problem with that route is that they won't issue you the visa until they get the medical package which can add on considerable amount of time, but cuts down on ur travel costs.

You will real on here that Montreal is slow at everything!! And I mean everything! Even mailing out the visa they are slow,lol If you can, stay at vancouver!! And of course you have to figure about going to the USA and coming back to Canada for the wedding. As Inky mentioned the K1 is a ONE time use! Once ur in the USA you cannot leave--and that includes canada until you get AP or the greencard!! Problem isn't leaving the USA--the problem is coming back into the USA.

There used to be a k1 timeline (I think) that sort of gave one an idea how long the process was taking.

Vancouver medical clinic http://www.wokingmedical.com/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/249662-medical-exam-at-woking-clinic-vancouver-experience/

http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age6.htm

I believe many have a betetr experience in Vancouver---as 1 can dothe medical and interview the same day! As the op said in that 1 link--get their super early!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/300-general-k1-guides-and-info/

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Filed: Timeline

On a slightly unrelated note, our NOA2 says our consulate is Toronto - did they just put that there because they didn't know better and it's what we mistakenly suggested? Because adding K1 processing at a Toronto consulate sounds like a wicked idea ... but it's an error, isn't it? :unsure:

:blink: Yeah, it's an error. lol

another question....

I have a family wedding to go to in Winnipeg in AUG of this year. When my visa is approved and I move to the states hopefully by May or June, would it be an issue for me to leave and come back?

My attendence is a must...so would if I cannot freely leave and come back so soon upon entry what should I do?

Should I schedule my medical and interview after the wedding? O my...

Since you've requested a transfer to Montreal it's highly unlikely you'll be in the US by May or June. You'll probably get your visa by the time you've finished your wedding in August. :hehe: Since your attendance at the wedding is a must, I would plan on moving to the US after it. You'll save yourself a whole lot of stress.

Welcome to VJ. :)

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

I emailed the Vancouver office and they will not let me transfer back haha...hey at least i tried. That sucks!

O well soooo, hmmm...I guess our whole time line is off...instead of go there early to look for a job for the next school year (i'm a teacher), I need to book an interview in Aug after the wedding then move to the states. Next step, is to miss the whole school year and look for a job in a different field.

Thanks again to everyone who posted on here!!!!

I just got a letter from MONTREAL asking me to register on their website so I can register at a DHL location. If I am from Winnipeg and getting an interview in MONTREAL, where location am I suppoesd to register at? I would like to register a DHL at the Montreal location; however, how long would it take. I can't afford to wait in Montreal for weeks. Also, I've been flying with my passport for years...can you fly without a passport nowadays?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just got a letter from MONTREAL asking me to register on their website so I can register at a DHL location. If I am from Winnipeg and getting an interview in MONTREAL, where location am I suppoesd to register at? I would like to register a DHL at the Montreal location; however, how long would it take. I can't afford to wait in Montreal for weeks. Also, I've been flying with my passport for years...can you fly without a passport nowadays?

Just wondering why would you want to register with DHL in Montreal. Wouldn't it be easier to pick up your passport closer to home in Winnipeg? If you are flying within Canada I believe you can use your driver's licence for ID.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Just wondering why would you want to register with DHL in Montreal. Wouldn't it be easier to pick up your passport closer to home in Winnipeg? If you are flying within Canada I believe you can use your driver's licence for ID.

Thanks :) I am so clueless about this process. For some reason I thought the visa would be processed the next day which might mean I most likely would be in Montreal still. but thanks for clearing it up!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.